Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I miss pumpkin pie !  (Read 7986 times)

• Liked: 672
Re: I miss pumpkin pie !
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 06:04:48 PM »
I bought New York-something-or-other branded bagels in Asda yesterday, and they were pumpkin spice flavour.
My expectations were low, and proved to be correct... the pumpkin spice flavour was very subtle, almost un-noticeable.  However, I made up some spiced butter with splenda, ginger, cinnamon & nutmeg --- spread that on the bagel and WOW... really nice!  :D

I have yet to have found a bagel in this country that has the correct texture. I bought a package of cinnamon and raisin ones last week (from Tesco? Iceland? Don't remember.) They were tasty, but not "bagels." Wrong mouth feel, same as with all the pretzels here so far.

• Liked: 15
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2019, 12:27:32 PM »
Hi All,

Just jumping in from the subject title......

I used to buy Libbys Pumpkin in a can from Waitrose to make pumpkin pies for my husband this time of year but didnt do it this time last year as we were busy moving house etc and now this year I cant find pumpkin in a can available anywhere! Any suggestions other than extortionate prices on Amazon to buy canned pumpkin??

All help greatly appreciated - if I have to settle for buying pumpkin pie ready made I will (Although have never found that either) but ideally would like to make it for him (without having to puree a pumpkin myself as I just am not going to be doing that - dont judge! )

Thanks all - P.S we live in East Norfolk (I thought it wouldnt be so hard as we live not too far from the US air bases in this part of the UK but alas no luck so far!)

x
First met working on Cruise Ship - Nov 2010
Got engaged! - Feb 2013
Marriage Visit Visa APPROVED - Feb 2014
WEDDING Part 1 in the UK - June 2014
Honeymoon - July 2014
WEDDING Part 2 in the USA - July 2014
Spouse Visa Recieved:- 28/08/14
Hubby arrived in UK:- 23/09/14
Finally got his first UK credit card: 03/01/15
Got his UK driving license:- 04/08/2015
Bought a house together:- 07/08/15
Had a baby! - 11/12/16
FLR(M) received:- 26/06/17
ILR received :- 04/11/19
Applying for Citizenship Jan 2020 !

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2019, 12:51:06 PM »
Hi All,

Just jumping in from the subject title......

I used to buy Libbys Pumpkin in a can from Waitrose to make pumpkin pies for my husband this time of year but didnt do it this time last year as we were busy moving house etc and now this year I cant find pumpkin in a can available anywhere! Any suggestions other than extortionate prices on Amazon to buy canned pumpkin??

All help greatly appreciated - if I have to settle for buying pumpkin pie ready made I will (Although have never found that either) but ideally would like to make it for him (without having to puree a pumpkin myself as I just am not going to be doing that - dont judge! )

Thanks all - P.S we live in East Norfolk (I thought it wouldnt be so hard as we live not too far from the US air bases in this part of the UK but alas no luck so far!)

x

Libby's is not coming up in the regular supermarkets but a brand called Baking Buddy is.

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Home_Baking/Baking_Buddy_Natural_Pumpkin_Puree_425g.html?TrackingCode=AQUAAAI.nYqaDAkb7UmJEBRRmnhqkQ

• Liked: 15
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2019, 01:14:47 PM »
Yeh, I thought that too but whenever I then click through to buy it near me it comes up out of stock or changes it to an alternative such as another fruit filling in a can.....I cant manage to get through anywhere I can actually buy it without it being super expensive (I think I have found a can on a healthy website but delivery is high compared to just wanting to buy one can)

Was hoping someone might have seen it in some shops somewhere but I think I might have to pay high prices online or abandon this year.
First met working on Cruise Ship - Nov 2010
Got engaged! - Feb 2013
Marriage Visit Visa APPROVED - Feb 2014
WEDDING Part 1 in the UK - June 2014
Honeymoon - July 2014
WEDDING Part 2 in the USA - July 2014
Spouse Visa Recieved:- 28/08/14
Hubby arrived in UK:- 23/09/14
Finally got his first UK credit card: 03/01/15
Got his UK driving license:- 04/08/2015
Bought a house together:- 07/08/15
Had a baby! - 11/12/16
FLR(M) received:- 26/06/17
ILR received :- 04/11/19
Applying for Citizenship Jan 2020 !

• Liked: 957
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2019, 01:20:30 PM »
I get pumpkin in another brand in Sainsbury's. I have seen it recently down here in the Thames Valley, so it could be worth trying your closest one?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 840
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2019, 01:51:06 PM »
I think there has been a bit of a tinned pumpkin shortage (weather last summer?) . A few American friends have struggled to find tins near them and had to resort to Amazon. 

Might be worth keeping an eye out garden centres, etc.

I know you don't want to make the puree, but you can find actual pumpkins this time of year, and it's pretty easy to make.  Do you have a slow cooker? 
https://www.thespruceeats.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-puree-3056806
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 768
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2019, 08:42:30 AM »
I think there has been a bit of a tinned pumpkin shortage (weather last summer?) . A few American friends have struggled to find tins near them and had to resort to Amazon. 

Might be worth keeping an eye out garden centres, etc.

I know you don't want to make the puree, but you can find actual pumpkins this time of year, and it's pretty easy to make.  Do you have a slow cooker? 
https://www.thespruceeats.com/slow-cooker-pumpkin-puree-3056806
Yes. My Mexican import store in Glasgow and Edinburgh have stated they were only able to get one shipment of pumpkin this year because of a shortage.

My Tesco has a ton. I still have a can from last year so I only picked up 2 cans this year.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 63
« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2019, 10:50:46 AM »
I bought 6 tins of the Baking Buddy pumpkin puree at Waitrose on Friday @£1.65/tin. WAY cheaper than Amazon. I've made my own many times, but as long as I can find the tinned variety, I won't bother.

I'm a "leftie" who grew up in a family of right-handers, so was taught to use a knife with my right hand. I'm nearly 72, and after all these years, I still cut myself frequently. I cook from scratch every day, and always have, but knives and I do NOT get along. Carving up a pumpkin is not high on my to-do list. :-)
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2019, 11:18:07 AM »
I bought 6 tins of the Baking Buddy pumpkin puree at Waitrose on Friday @£1.65/tin. WAY cheaper than Amazon. I've made my own many times, but as long as I can find the tinned variety, I won't bother.

I'm a "leftie" who grew up in a family of right-handers, so was taught to use a knife with my right hand. I'm nearly 72, and after all these years, I still cut myself frequently. I cook from scratch every day, and always have, but knives and I do NOT get along. Carving up a pumpkin is not high on my to-do list. :-)
You can scoop the seeds carefully after cooking and cutting in half. I do that with spaghetti squash too because I'm not strong enough to cut it when raw. I stab it a couple times and put it on the instant pot, cut in half when done and then scoop seeds & make "spaghetti" or fill.

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »

You ever try cutting a raw spaghetti squash.  That's just begging to lose some fingers. I learned to cook them whole before cutting. Same thing with pumpkins now.

« Reply #40 on: October 20, 2019, 11:19:41 AM »
You can scoop the seeds carefully after cooking and cutting in half. I do that with spaghetti squash too because I'm not strong enough to cut it when raw. I stab it a couple times and put it on the instant pot, cut in half when done and then scoop seeds & make "spaghetti" or fill.

Lol. Didn't see your post before I posted my response. 

« Reply #41 on: October 20, 2019, 11:56:39 AM »
Lol. Didn't see your post before I posted my response. 

We are often on the same page when it comes to tasty noms and cooking shortcuts!

• Liked: 63
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2019, 03:25:46 PM »
You ever try cutting a raw spaghetti squash.  That's just begging to lose some fingers. I learned to cook them whole before cutting. Same thing with pumpkins now.

Oh lordy yes - that was knife hell!
Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 584
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2019, 09:11:50 AM »
I found tins of Baking Buddy pumpkin in Tesco for £1.60 each.  I made pumpkin bread last night and brought it in to work... people seem really unsure about it, but i usually say it's like gingerbread, and then they'll take a bit.  So far it's been a huge success, but the fussy-about-food people aren't in yet....

• Liked: 3
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2019, 03:25:37 PM »
If anyone is making a pumpkin pie from a can, what are you doing for a pie crust? I've never made my own pie crust before, I always used pre-made, but I don't think I can get that here (this is my first autumn here). Has anyone found a pre-made crust? 

Sponsored Links