Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: IRL - probably a stupid question  (Read 3078 times)

• Liked: 3595
Re: IRL - probably a stupid question
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2020, 03:08:27 PM »
Life in the UK test is the citizenship test? I have millions of questions about this.

Well, it's not strictly the 'citizenship test' because it's required for ILR as well, but yes.

1) is there anywhere on line that I can do a simulation?
2) are there documents to study? Where?
3) how long before the application for the citizenship can I do the test? Does it expire?

1) I believe there are practice tests you can do, but not sure where

2) There is an official book, which you will want to get hold of and study cover to cover - as all the questions on the test are taken from the book.

3. As I said above, the test can be taken at any time before ILR (not citizenship) and it never expires... you could have taken it as soon as you arrived in the UK 2.5 years ago if you wanted.

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 03:10:00 PM »

• Liked: 0
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2020, 03:10:17 PM »
Congratulations :D!

For ILR, the only things to start thinking about now are making sure you're still collecting mail (you'll need it spaced every 5 months from February 2020 to August 2022), and if you haven't taken it already, start preparing to take the Life in the UK test, which is needed for both ILR and citizenship. It can be taken at any time before you apply for ILR, but it's probably worth getting it out of the way sooner rather than later.

Also, for citizenship, just keep an eye on how long you spend out of the UK - you can have up to 270 days outside the UK in the last 3 years before applying, with no more than 90 days in the final 12 months (the days you left and returned to the UK don't count).

Enviado do meu iPad usando Tapatalk

Wow, that’s good to know. I’ll look into that. Thanks again! about the mail, this time it was hard for us to have the exact months required, so we send letters in pairs (mine and my husband’s) for every 3 months I think. It went ok gladly!

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »
Well, it's not strictly the 'citizenship test' because it's required for ILR as well, but yes.

1) I believe there are practice tests you can do, but not sure where

2) There is an official book, which you will want to get hold of and study cover to cover - as all the questions on the test are taken from the book.

3. As I said above, the test can be taken at any time before ILR (not citizenship) and it never expires... you could have taken it as soon as you arrived in the UK 2.5 years ago if you wanted.

I didn’t know I would need for the ILR! I’m glad I asked

Will search for this book ASAP. If anyone knows the name, please let me know.

It’s great it doesn’t expire. Can you do it lots of time until you pass or does it cost a fortune everytime?

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2020, 03:13:48 PM »
See here for more information about the test:
https://www.gov.uk/life-in-the-uk-test

Link from that page to the official study book:
https://www.tsoshop.co.uk/Society/Life-in-the-UK/Life-in-the-United-Kingdom-A-Guide-for-New-Residents/?TrackID=002353

Many thanks, ksand24! Will start right now!

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 03:14:45 PM »
Congratulations !!!

Continue to keep all of your paper mail and get your life in the UK test out of the way sooner rather than later.

I forgot to say thank you!

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 03:41:26 PM »
Will search for this book ASAP. If anyone knows the name, please let me know.

The second link I gave you above takes you to directly to the book. You can buy it on that page for £12.99, or you can look for it elsewhere.

It’s great it doesn’t expire. Can you do it lots of time until you pass or does it cost a fortune everytime?

It costs £50 to take the test and from the link above:

If you fail the test
You must wait 7 days before taking the test again, but you can take the test as many times as you need to. You need to book and pay again each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »
The second link I gave you above takes you to directly to the book. You can buy it on that page for £12.99, or you can look for it elsewhere.

It costs £50 to take the test and from the link above:

If you fail the test
You must wait 7 days before taking the test again, but you can take the test as many times as you need to. You need to book and pay again each time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thank you! Will buy the pack of 4 and start studying!

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2020, 06:31:58 PM »
Just google life in the UK practice tests, there are lots! Some are better than others. The ones which give you the correct answer afterwards are the most useful.

« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2022, 10:36:12 AM »
Hello everyone!

That’s me again after 2 and 1/2 years and ready for my ILR!
Just passed my Life in the UK test and ready for action.
Can anyone tell roughly the checklist for this application please? Is the same as the last one plus Life in the UK or is there more I need to add?

Appreciate all the help! I wouldn’t have done without you guys!

« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2022, 10:41:41 AM »
Hello everyone!

That’s me again after 2 and 1/2 years and ready for my ILR!
Just passed my Life in the UK test and ready for action.
Can anyone tell roughly the checklist for this application please? Is the same as the last one plus Life in the UK or is there more I need to add?

Appreciate all the help! I wouldn’t have done without you guys!

Congratulations!

It's mostly the same. Financial requirements exactly the same except if using savings you need less. £34,600 instead of £62,500.

The correspondence requirement is the same except you cover 2.5 years instead of 2 so space them 5 months apart.

No IHS!

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2022, 10:45:23 AM »
Thank you so much!

But what is IHS?

« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2022, 10:50:16 AM »
Thank you so much!

But what is IHS?

Immigration health surcharge. The money you paid to access the NHS when you made previous visa applications. It's doesn't apply to ILR.

« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2022, 10:54:11 AM »
Ohh I see. I think we spent enough money all those years!

How about the application for citizenship, what’s the difference between them in therms of documents? I plan to apply for citizenship right after ILR (it says I am allowed since I am on a spouse visa).

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2022, 11:00:44 AM »
Ohh I see. I think we spent enough money all those years!

How about the application for citizenship, what’s the difference between them in therms of documents? I plan to apply for citizenship right after ILR (it says I am allowed since I am on a spouse visa).

Great, that's the smart thing to do. Citizenship has even fewer requirements although more emphasis is placed on good character.

@mbmoffat has an excellent thread which started on ILR but has progressed to citizenship. Here- https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=100139.45

Sponsored Links