Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: COVID19 - How it's affecting you  (Read 41270 times)

• Liked: 768
Re: COVID19 - How it's affecting you
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2020, 11:58:31 AM »
It's mainly meat and potatoes I'm worried about, since I can't survive on pulses. Those have been out of stock and now they are limiting how much can be purchased, so we can't even get more than a few days worth if they did have any. Sending him over again today.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
Consider ordering from https://www.athleat.co.uk/?mw_reward=THM0BZ

I order my meat from them. Great quality, good prices, easy shipping and here is a £10 off voucher code newathleat

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2020, 12:19:49 PM »
My Mom is luckily staying inside, thank goodness, and actually being serious about it, unlike other boomers and older folks.  (Read this article this morning and it's soooooooooooooooooooo true)

Oh!  I didn't realize this was a generation-wide phenomenon.  My mother texted me out of concern, and I told her all the precautions my husband and I have taken.  She was happy to hear that I was taking my health problems seriously.  And I was all, "Of course!  Who wouldn't?!"  So was all, yes, exactly.  then she tells me about how she was being good... only went to the hardware store.  She turned 70 in October, and has recently been through cancer treatment.   I said, "You texted me to make sure I'm being safe, and you're not being safe?!  STAY HOME!"  She LOLed me.  "Lol I will try"...  *stares*

I have no control over this.  It is not my fault.  It is not our fault.  We've said all we can say.  It's going to be a very bad year for a lot of us.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 957
« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2020, 12:47:47 PM »
Consider ordering from https://www.athleat.co.uk/?mw_reward=THM0BZ

I order my meat from them. Great quality, good prices, easy shipping and here is a £10 off voucher code newathleat

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Thanks for this! Will clear space in the freezer for that. And their deliveries weren't too far in the future yet. But bah, I couldn't order on phone so just went to their website directly. Sorry I missed adding on your referral code :(

• Liked: 676
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »
It's mainly meat and potatoes I'm worried about, since I can't survive on pulses. Those have been out of stock and now they are limiting how much can be purchased, so we can't even get more than a few days worth if they did have any. Sending him over again today.

Margo, our online butcher (who will ship UK wide) is also selling staples in institutional quantities to the public now (they used to only sell them to their institutional customers). Perhaps you can source from there? Their steaks have been very good. https://www.campbellsmeat.com/

Our other butcher, Collins and Sons, gives 10% off an order over £20 when you subscribe to their newsletter. We have been very happy with their meat and delivery.

https://www.scollinsandson.co.uk/?utm_source=S%20Collins%20%26%20Son%20-%20Website%20subscribers&utm_campaign=43e73c05c4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_11_25_09_43_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fb1317d308-43e73c05c4-94801441&mc_cid=43e73c05c4&mc_eid=4564bfdd0a

« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2020, 01:23:09 PM »
Margo, our online butcher (who will ship UK wide) is also selling staples in institutional quantities to the public now (they used to only sell them to their institutional customers). Perhaps you can source from there? Their steaks have been very good. https://www.campbellsmeat.com/

Our other butcher, Collins and Sons, gives 10% off an order over £20 when you subscribe to their newsletter. We have been very happy with their meat and delivery.

https://www.scollinsandson.co.uk/?utm_source=S%20Collins%20%26%20Son%20-%20Website%20subscribers&utm_campaign=43e73c05c4-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2019_11_25_09_43_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_fb1317d308-43e73c05c4-94801441&mc_cid=43e73c05c4&mc_eid=4564bfdd0a
Saving these links too! I put in an order from Tami's, but having many options is going to be needed I think. It will be a few months before the garden is producing very much!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2020, 01:28:55 PM »
Saving these links too! I put in an order from Tami's, but having many options is going to be needed I think. It will be a few months before the garden is producing very much!

Dopsons in crowthorne also deliver and are offering free delivery to those who are unable to get to their shop (don't think youre too far away to use them)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2020, 02:16:41 PM »
Dopsons in crowthorne also deliver and are offering free delivery to those who are unable to get to their shop (don't think youre too far away to use them)

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
They had no online availability, and because it wasn't clear what products they actually had and I haven't been able to stop crying today for any extended period of time, wasn't up for phoning in an order to a place I've never been. Plus, there are plenty of people locally who don't use the Internet and will need them if they can afford it (they are a bit expensive). I'm furious with Ocado though, they are not managing the existing members well at all.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2020, 02:17:42 PM »
I'm really sorry Margo
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 342
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2020, 02:25:03 PM »
Wales and Scotland closing schools by Friday, will affect a lot of people. A decision for schools in England, is "imminent".

In additon to the 3 months mortgage holiday break for those who are buying, the governmnet is bringing in emergency legislation for renters so that that they are protected from eviction.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51939634

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2020, 03:19:04 PM »
I'm having trouble getting serious about staying at home because both of my kids are still going to school.   Mrs. Jimbo and I went to the pub/ Thai restaurant for lunch, but we rode our bikes there and the place was practically empty.   Don't get me wrong,  I wouldn't have gone if I thought it made any difference but later on my kids are going to come home from school and I am going to live in the same house. 

I've told my daughter that after school is closed, we are all staying home. 

Aquila, it seems surprising to me that you are out and about so much if catching the virus would be dangerous to you.  My impression of what is going on is that everyone who doesn't absolutely isolate JFKimberley style  is simply going to get it eventually.  The only reason we are all at home is to slow down the rate of everyone getting it so the NHS can cope. 

• Liked: 387
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
Aquila, it seems surprising to me that you are out and about so much if catching the virus would be dangerous to you.  My impression of what is going on is that everyone who doesn't absolutely isolate JFKimberley style  is simply going to get it eventually.  The only reason we are all at home is to slow down the rate of everyone getting it so the NHS can cope. 

Oh, I am a bit paranoid every time I leave the flat.  :(

Unfortunately, my organization hasn't (of yet) agreed on a policy regarding employees with relevant underlying health conditions who can't work from home due to the nature of the job. 

At the moment, I'm not poorly so I can't stay home with sick leave.  Due to the pressures of continuing to provide a service, no new annual leave requests are being allowed (and on top of that, I don't have any days left to take this year and I can't borrow from next year's allowance).  I guess I could request unpaid leave under exceptional circumstances, but it would be highly challenging financially since DH isn't able to work.  And there's no guarantee that the request would be agreed to anyway.

And there is a part of me that does kind of feel that as long as I'm feeling fine and presumably not infectious (which is a whole other can o' worms), I should be continuing to provide care for those that actually are unwell at the moment and need continuing medical care.

I'm trying to reassure myself with the knowledge that NHS capacity at the moment is relatively okay where I am, so if I get it now and have to be admitted, there are still beds available.  At least right now...

« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2020, 04:16:46 PM »

I'm trying to reassure myself with the knowledge that NHS capacity at the moment is relatively okay where I am, so if I get it now and have to be admitted, there are still beds available.  At least right now...

With how bad my breathing has been from asthma the last week, my husband and I have actually had the same conversation. Potentially better to catch now and need support than in 3 weeks when there are no more ventilators. But I'd rather not die because heart attacks are actually one of the leading causes of death from the hypoxia causing it to work harder, and my heart is one of my semi major issues. Until grocery delivery is fixed my husband is going to keep putting me at risk and it sucks, because we cannot split the house.

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2020, 04:23:20 PM »
Aquila, you truly are a hero in all of this.  And putting yourself behind others is truly humbling.  At a time when for most people it is, "Me me me,"  you are saying, "I can help and I will help."  You are very inspiring.

Please keep us updated if YOU need anything.  The least we can do is post a few things to help during this time.  Don't be afraid to ask!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2020, 04:26:54 PM »
I agree with KFDancer, you are amazing Aquilla!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2020, 04:30:48 PM »
Aquila, you truly are a hero in all of this.  And putting yourself behind others is truly humbling.  At a time when for most people it is, "Me me me,"  you are saying, "I can help and I will help."  You are very inspiring.

Please keep us updated if YOU need anything.  The least we can do is post a few things to help during this time.  Don't be afraid to ask!

Please note I know I am guilty of being one of the "me me me" people.  It's natural.  But I am truly trying to do what I can to help others.  Whether it be with managing personal finance or sending funny animal pictures.  It's nothing compared to what you are doing.  But I'm trying to keep on swimming!

Sponsored Links