Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stimulus money?  (Read 9865 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 19
Re: Stimulus money?
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2020, 01:26:58 PM »
When I tried it, I used the filers option, as I have filed in 2018, I assume that's the correct tool to use, but not sure. Annoyingly, I didn't add my bank account info because I haven't had a refund or paid tax since I moved here.

Also, even though I have filed in my UK address since 2015, I wonder if I would have any luck using my old address in the US, as I do still use that address for other purposes. My brother still lives at that address, and statements from my US bank account are mailed there.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

It doesn't cost a thing to treat others with kindness.

• Liked: 718
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2020, 01:38:32 PM »
When I tried it, I used the filers option, as I have filed in 2018, I assume that's the correct tool to use, but not sure. Annoyingly, I didn't add my bank account info because I haven't had a refund or paid tax since I moved here.

Also, even though I have filed in my UK address since 2015, I wonder if I would have any luck using my old address in the US, as I do still use that address for other purposes. My brother still lives at that address, and statements from my US bank account are mailed there.

The link to check your stimulus money should have the street address used on your last tax return ,  and it does say that it accepts a post code if you live overseas.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2020, 01:44:42 PM »
Hmm yeah, I've done everything correctly, then. Hopefully the system is just malfunctioning. I will keep trying to use it to update my bank info.

« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2020, 03:27:23 PM »
Just checked with my son - dual citizen living in England - and he does have his $1,200 in his US bank account. He had already e-filed filed his 2019 return which was good news because in 2018 he did a Roth conversion making his income much higher.

• Liked: 45
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2020, 07:04:40 PM »
If you file MFJ and one has an ITIN, then no one receives any payment, not even $1,200 for the person with an SSN. Unless in the military.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2020, 08:58:38 PM »
I haven't gotten mine either. When I type my information in, I get the error message that the information I entered does not match their records. I have tried both my US address (in case they haven't finished processing my 2019 return) and my new (UK) address. After 3 tries both yesterday and today, I was told not to access the site again for 24 hours.  ::)

I did married filing separately using TaxAct. I also owed money for both 2018 and 2019 due to a tax credit I took out with my Massachusetts health insurance that they wanted me to pay back.  ::) I know I paid using my bank account (rather than a debit or credit card) last year, so I'm thinking I might be one of the many people experiencing a glitch.
30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

• Liked: 63
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2020, 11:33:55 AM »
I e-filed last week, and filled in the details for the US bank account even though no tax was due, none withheld and therefore no refund expected. Checked our account, and $2400 (we are both US citizens) was deposited on April 15th.

I am happy to NOT have to look at a paper check with the Idiot in Chief's name on it.  ;D

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 6
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2020, 02:35:56 PM »
I am still getting the “Payment Status Not Available”  message. It's very frustrating as I could really use the money and there is nothing I can do about it. Can't get in touch with the IRS. The only explanation given by the IRS that would fit me is that I am not eligible for the stimulus check, though I know I should be. All the other explanations they give for why someone would get that message doesn't fit me.
Has anyone who had been getting that message have any success in getting beyond that message when using the Get my Payment site. . Thanks.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2020, 02:45:20 PM »
I am still getting the “Payment Status Not Available”  message. It's very frustrating as I could really use the money and there is nothing I can do about it. Can't get in touch with the IRS. The only explanation given by the IRS that would fit me is that I am not eligible for the stimulus check, though I know I should be. All the other explanations they give for why someone would get that message doesn't fit me.
Has anyone who had been getting that message have any success in getting beyond that message when using the Get my Payment site. . Thanks.
I've been trying every day to get past the 'payment status not available' and still no luck here either. It is incredibly frustrating seeing other expats here in the UK get their money, and not being able to do anything to get my bank info to the IRS so I can get my stimulus payment direct deposited. Even filing my 2019 taxes won't help, because I have yet to find a way to e-file, and the IRS isn't even processing paper returns right now. Its like going up against a brick wall. Though, you know if we owed the IRS money, they'd be all up in our business 24/7.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2020, 03:20:20 PM »
I've been trying every day to get past the 'payment status not available' and still no luck here either. It is incredibly frustrating seeing other expats here in the UK get their money, and not being able to do anything to get my bank info to the IRS so I can get my stimulus payment direct deposited. Even filing my 2019 taxes won't help, because I have yet to find a way to e-file, and the IRS isn't even processing paper returns right now. Its like going up against a brick wall. Though, you know if we owed the IRS money, they'd be all up in our business 24/7.

https://www.irs.gov/coronavirus/get-my-payment

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2020, 03:22:45 PM »

That must be so frustrating.

I managed to e-file my 2019 return today thank goodness.  It is always so stressful, and the last couple of years I have had to mail them in.

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2020, 03:27:17 PM »
That must be so frustrating.

I managed to e-file my 2019 return today thank goodness.  It is always so stressful, and the last couple of years I have had to mail them in.
What did you end up using to e-file? I've used Tax Act in the past, but it never let me e-file, only mail in.

• Liked: 24
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2020, 03:42:52 PM »
I was able to e-file my federal taxes with Tax Act. (I no longer have a US phone number, so I put my mom's number in and asked her to send me the verification code.) When I tried to also e-file my Massachusetts taxes, it kept telling me I needed a social security number or TIN for my husband even though I was able to file my federal taxes without that (and using the same site). So I will have to print and mail that one in at some point.
30/10/2019: Submitted online application for spouse visa
08/11/2019: Biometrics taken
09/12/2019: Passport received via UPS. Approved!
30/12/2019: Arrived in UK
04/09/2022: Submitted online application for FLR(M)
01/10/2022: Biometric Appointment

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2020, 03:48:13 PM »
I was able to e-file my federal taxes with Tax Act. (I no longer have a US phone number, so I put my mom's number in and asked her to send me the verification code.) When I tried to also e-file my Massachusetts taxes, it kept telling me I needed a social security number or TIN for my husband even though I was able to file my federal taxes without that (and using the same site). So I will have to print and mail that one in at some point.
Did use use the paid Tax Act or free file? Just curious, Ive been using the paid up till now. I have always used my UK mobile number and maybe that's why I was unable to e-file. Maybe I'll try to use my mom's number and see what happens.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab