Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Guess I’m going to be a guinea pig  (Read 4855 times)

• Liked: 37
Guess I’m going to be a guinea pig
« on: December 08, 2020, 12:02:56 AM »
Just got an email from work with a form to sign and fill in to the NHS for a Covid vaccination......working at a care home puts me in the number 1 priority for the jab......not sure how I feel about being a guinea pig but I guess going to have to take the leap....just want life to go back to some semblance of normal....looked at the numbers today and my area was the highest on the list with cases..... funny enough, they were doing testing in my area last week....really makes you wonder how many people are walking around with covid but show no symptoms.....and how many people feel sick and still go to work because they need the paycheck...... we seem to be on a never ending seesaw.....up and down.....up and down.....hope the vaccine works so the world can get back to some sort of normal.......

• Liked: 6110
Re: Guess I’m going to be a guinea pig
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 06:54:41 AM »
Just got an email from work with a form to sign and fill in to the NHS for a Covid vaccination......working at a care home puts me in the number 1 priority for the jab......not sure how I feel about being a guinea pig but I guess going to have to take the leap....just want life to go back to some semblance of normal....looked at the numbers today and my area was the highest on the list with cases..... funny enough, they were doing testing in my area last week....really makes you wonder how many people are walking around with covid but show no symptoms.....and how many people feel sick and still go to work because they need the paycheck...... we seem to be on a never ending seesaw.....up and down.....up and down.....hope the vaccine works so the world can get back to some sort of normal.......

Congratulations!   :)
You are not a guinea pig, the vaccinations have been tested and approved, you're good to go.  :)

• Liked: 718
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 08:33:21 AM »
Congratulations!   :)
You are not a guinea pig, the vaccinations have been tested and approved, you're good to go.  :)

I agree.

Congratulations.
Dual USC/UKC living in the UK since May 2016

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 09:41:12 AM »
How exciting! You're not a guinea pig, you're first in the queue for an approved , fully tested and vetted vaccine! 
Maybe in a few months, all this madness will be over!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 12:18:06 PM »
Go for it girl!  And give us a first hand account of how it is!

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 02:13:26 PM »
Listening to the latest BBC podcast in the “Vaccinate the World” series there was a question from a listener asking if the vaccine will feel cold when it is injected. The answer is no, it will be at room temperature. It will be thawed out by storage in a regular refrigerator and then before injection mixed with sterile saline solution at room temperature.

Another interesting statistic is that Care Home residents are less than 1% of the population but account for 1/3 of the deaths so far. The next group on the list, over 80s not in care homes, account for another 1/3 of the deaths. Once all over 80s have been vaccinated it will be less than 10% of the population but account for 2/3rds of the deaths.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2020, 06:30:15 PM »
I'd like to know how many doses are in each of those tiny bottles.. One?  Does the person giving the shots have to suck up a certain amount each time with a new syringe?  What about the last dose that must be hard to get out and maybe not quite enough? 
Because I was signed up for the NHS volunteer app, I was asked if I wanted to be trained to give the vaccines.  Not my thing, but they said they were going to ask for volunteer stewards later on and I'll try to do that. 

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2020, 06:31:21 PM »
I'd like to know how many doses are in each of those tiny bottles.. One?  Does the person giving the shots have to suck up a certain amount each time with a new syringe?  What about the last dose that must be hard to get out and maybe not quite enough? 
Because I was signed up for the NHS volunteer app, I was asked if I wanted to be trained to give the vaccines.  Not my thing, but they said they were going to ask for volunteer stewards later on and I'll try to do that.

They will be single dose bottles.   Corrected information in post below.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 05:36:36 AM by larrabee »

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2020, 10:52:15 PM »
They will be single dose bottles.

I remember seeing on the news that there’s. 5 or 6 doses in each vial.... they not single dose per bottle

« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2020, 05:34:25 AM »
I remember seeing on the news that there’s. 5 or 6 doses in each vial.... they not single dose per bottle

Thanks for the correction. I was able to find this on the BMA website.

The Pfizer vaccine   
Acts via mRNA  and is likely to be the first vaccine available to practice.
Stored (at manufacturer) at about -75c.
Delivered to a practice in batches of 975 doses (195 vials each containing five doses), along with diluent, needles and syringes.
Once out of the freezer can be stored at 2-8c.
Needs to be used within five days.
Once diluted the vaccine must be used within six hours.
Not stable enough to transport a diluted solution to another venue.
Two doses required, 21 days apart and cannot be given within seven days of a flu vaccination.
Potential side-effects such as injection site discomfort and short lasting temperature, patients are not to drive for 15 minutes afterward.

The Astra Zenica vaccine.
Stored (at manufacturer) at -80c.
Delivered to practices in vials contain eight or 10.
doses and in batches of 10 vials, with syringes etc.
Does not require diluting.
Once out of the freezer can be stored at 2-8c, with a shelf life of about six months.
Once punctured the vials must be used within four hours.
Two doses required, 28 days apart and cannot be given within seven days of a flu vaccination.

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2020, 08:16:14 AM »
What about this wierdness?  "Once diluted the vaccine must be used within six hours".  Do they take it out of the bottle and dilute it?

« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2020, 08:36:57 AM »
What about this wierdness?  "Once diluted the vaccine must be used within six hours".  Do they take it out of the bottle and dilute it?

I’d heard that on a podcast and wondered the same myself. Are the vials half full and saline injected in because saline solutions can’t take the -70C temperatures? I can see the nurse taking out a vial, injecting some saline solution then shaking up the vial.

« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2020, 08:47:09 AM »
The article mentions the need for "dilutors"  in addition to vaccinators.

https://www.bma.org.uk/advice-and-support/covid-19/gp-practices/covid-19-vaccination-programme

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2020, 09:40:37 AM »
I wouldn't worry about the amount in the vial, there will be a 'fudge' factor in there to ensure 5 complete doses.
It's very normal for vaccines to be diluted with saline (pre-mixed shelf stable ones in syringes have them too), but the saline is to reconstitute freeze dried vaccines, and also to meet the requirements for injection volume, sterility, pH, chemical balance, etc.

There are strict labelling controls on the boxes on how to use and then also,in this case, I know there will be good training on how to mix and administer the vaccines. 

These vaccines themselves aren't too unique for administering, it's the cold chain storage and cyber security around the tracking of all this that are the main concerns.
I'm going to an IMechE webinar on Friday to explain more, with all kinds of experts in the field. Should be interesting!
« Last Edit: December 09, 2020, 09:44:51 AM by phatbeetle »
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2020, 11:13:12 AM »
All I know is I was sent an email form to fill out with my name and info of where I work and position held and sent it off to NHS.... they confirmed received email and said will contact me when they have date and time for me to come in and get jag.....I’ll have to go to hospital to receive vaccination.....

Sponsored Links