Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 412713 times)

• Liked: 9
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #4260 on: February 20, 2015, 09:43:48 PM »
6. We have water! Oh the joy! Funny how you take something so simple as turning a tap for granted. We'd already decided to have dinner out, to make life easier than trying to cook and not being able to do dishes, about 7 minutes before it started running, so we went ahead and went out for Amish.
“It's practically impossible to look at a penguin and feel angry.” Joe Moore

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 12
« Reply #4261 on: February 27, 2015, 04:32:31 PM »
1. DH flew back home.  Found security had opened his suitcase -- probably to see what was in the large tin.  Hershey's cocoa!  Didn't sample it though.

2. Walked to town over ridiculously icy sidewalks to get the IRS tax info always put out at the public library.  Notice saying IRS is not supplying the guide/workbooks and not many of the forms.  Picked up the state books at least.

3. DS has full day with personal trainer, massage and the shrink!  The boy is on a roll!

4. Dropped off at local shopping centre to get some TSA suitcase locks (only one set left at RiteAid) and then for my favourite pumpkin muffin  :) and coffee at Whole Foods.  Server did not charge me for coffee as she thought it wasn't hot enough!  Walked home over more treacherous sidewalks/street.

5. Went along with DS who had his hair cut so I could get another luggage lock and also to cruise through the Lands End shop in Sears (which was v. disappointing last time I looked).  Found some corduroy trousers on sale and a marked-down fleece top.  Used my gift card and only had to shell out $9.99.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

« Reply #4262 on: February 27, 2015, 07:26:05 PM »
1. Dinner with mom, dad and my nephew Dakota tonight. On the way we are stopping to see about a new stereo for the car. I called the place last night and they are backed up so it won't be fitted tonight, but we can look at options and book a time to take the car in.

2. I completely re-organized two shelving units in the kitchen, and took the three boxes that have been sitting around to Goodwill. With my organizing today, I have started a new Goodwill box. I feel rather accomplished, even if there was more I wanted to do.

3. Maintenance has been working on the apartment below us. I suppose that means someone will be moving in soon. I still have my fingers crossed for a sweet little old lady who bakes cookies for everyone.

4. Feeling a bit sad over the loss of Leonard Nemoy. I know he was human, but he was Spock, which makes him a legend.

5. Another lazy weekend planned.

“We are all a little weird and life's a little weird, and when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.”
― Dr. Seuss

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4263 on: March 02, 2015, 09:04:46 AM »
I completely forgot about Friday Five this week (basically the only thing I come to UK-Y for these days)!  I am doing it now, on Monday....

1.  I agree TamaMoo, Leonard Nimoy was a legend.  My friend says she feels like her favorite uncle just passed away and that is definitely how I feel.  :\\\'(

2.  I continue to make friends and meet new people here.  I am forcing myself out of my comfort zone in order to do that and in order to improve on the fiddle, so it's off the the pub I went Friday and Saturday (completely on my own on Saturday) to join in the session as best I could.  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3. This week Mrs and Mr Robinson are coming to visit me for a few days!  I am very excited!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.  A guy I am interested in is acting like a big baby.  Are you 43 or 14?!  :-X

5.  On a similar note, guys in my age bracket (shall we say between 40 and early 50s) who seem perfect have one big flaw--they are married!  :-X
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #4264 on: March 06, 2015, 08:57:26 AM »
1.  My original crush from a couple months ago (the whom I found out had a girlfriend, but now I am not so sure about that), has told me he wants to play with me!  He is an absolutely phenomenal fiddler and I walking on AIR just thinking about us playing together (practicing like a demon now so I can  meet him halfway) Also hoping (but not putting too many expectations on it) he likes me likes me if you know what I mean. [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]

2.  My more recent crush is off my radar after blanking me at the pub last weekend when  he showed up with a girl. Haha.  :-X

3.  I had a gig with two of the owners here on Wednesday and it went great!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.  I have a new friend here and the two of us hit the ground running like Thelma and Louise! (we just won't drive off of a cliff.... ahaha)  :)

5.  Mr and Mrs Robinson arrive tomorrow!!!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
Married October 2007

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #4265 on: March 06, 2015, 09:03:00 AM »
1.  My original crush from a couple months ago (the whom I found out had a girlfriend, but now I am not so sure about that), has told me he wants to play with me!  He is an absolutely phenomenal fiddler and I walking on AIR just thinking about us playing together (practicing like a demon now so I can  meet him halfway) Also hoping (but not putting too many expectations on it) he likes me likes me if you know what I mean. [smiley=guitarist.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]

2.  My more recent crush is off my radar after blanking me at the pub last weekend when  he showed up with a girl. Haha.  :-X

3.  I had a gig with two of the owners here on Wednesday and it went great!  [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

4.  I have a new friend here and the two of us hit the ground running like Thelma and Louise! (we just won't drive off of a cliff.... ahaha)  :)

5.  Mr and Mrs Robinson arrive tomorrow!!!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

[smiley=smitten.gif] [smiley=smitten.gif]

I really like Number 1 Andee. That is brilliant!!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #4266 on: March 06, 2015, 09:11:31 AM »
I've not Friday Fived in a while.

1.) Supposed to be 13ºC this weekend. Whohoo!!  Then supposed to get wintry again on Sunday.   ::)

2.) Been busy getting practising with the brass band for the Scottish Brass Band Championship next week. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

3.)  Have a couple of little musical projects on the go, playing bass guitar as well, including the ceilidh band at work and another acoustical group with a couple of the lads from work. All a bit of fun.   [smiley=guitarist.gif]

4.) We're doing some beer and wine brewing this weekend. We've had a stop on this for a while since we were trying to keep the house tidy to sell, but that's all set now, so onto brewing!!   [smiley=balloon.gif]

5.)  Our house that we're building is coming along.  Have to pop by the kitchen and bathroom designers tomorrow for a few things. All exciting!  :D
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #4267 on: March 06, 2015, 06:04:35 PM »
1. Largely housebound except when DS has time off work.  Stir-crazy!  Cleaning, laundry etc. out of sheer boredom.

2. We take cat to the vet for his shots. Never had this vet (youngish woman) before but boy was she thorough in examining Max.  Pretty good shape for a 13-year-old boy.
Evening and starts to snow (again) so I nag DS to taking me to airport before it gets worse.  Virgin (posh "Upper" thanks to DS)  Delay for de-icing, further delay to wait for another de-icing truck and then seems we have a power failure (auxiliary power).  3 hours later we push back (they have to use power from airport to get going) and take off.

3. So we are late into LHR but I head to terminal 2 for connection to Manchester.  Go through immigration and security and tackle transfer agent (flight gone) and in spite of my protests he puts me on a BA flight.  So I have to go to TERMINAL FIVE  [smiley=bigcry.gif] and go through immigration and security all over again!!  BA flight 20 minutes late taking off but things looking up:  my bags amongst first off and the Tristar driver is waiting to take me to Leeds.  Finally get home around 7:30 PM.

4. Recovery day -- feeling rather woozy.

5. Manage to do some shopping with DH, enjoying the sunshine and lack of snow.  Now to tackle Virgin about their less-than-satisfactory dealing with passengers off delayed flights.

>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #4268 on: March 06, 2015, 07:19:57 PM »
1. Although we didn't have the major  amounts some of the country did, we had another snow Wednesday. It looks pretty, but I'm a bit bored (like most of the country) with slick spots and rock salt everywhere. I love snow, but am looking forward to spring now.

2. Temps are rising after today. We will be in the upper 40s (f) tomorrow, then 50s and mid 60s the next week and a half. I've started putting away the heaviest of the winter clothes, but this is Indiana and the weather changes by the minute, so I have left some winter wear out.

3. In true US government fashion, they are still processing our tax refund, so we have to delay booking our flights by a few weeks. Boo! We're not planning to fly until September or October, but it would be nice to have them taken care of.

4. I didn't get to my closet project again. I had good intentions until today,but after spending ages going around in circles with insurance over the phone, I decided to watch 'Shaun of the Dead' instead. There is always next Friday.

5. As usual, another quiet weekend planned. We seem to be in a stay at home rut these days.

― Dr. Seuss

• Liked: 7
« Reply #4269 on: March 06, 2015, 08:05:02 PM »
I've not Friday Fived in a while.
Me neither!!

1. After many failed attempts at basic tasks, I had to have a difficult conversation at work today regarding a placement student who just doesn't seem to have the technical capability required for working in an analytical chemistry lab.  As I've brought it up with managers just 3 weeks into her 3 month placement, it does seem there's time to find a better fit and a different project for her to work on, but I feel really bad pointing out that someone's skills in this area just aren't up to scratch.  :(

2. Got half of my intended workload done the past week at work, owing to focusing all my energy and attention attempting to help said student.  Fortunately it's not toooo busy right now, so having the flexibility to take my time with her has been helpful for both of us (for me--reminding myself to have patience! for her--having the opportunity to spend 6 hours performing a task that should have only taken an inexperienced person 1 hour)

3. My sister has an appointment for wedding dress shopping this evening at 6:15 EST, so I'm staying up late to facetime her during it!  I can tell she's excited, so I hope it goes well!

4. I'm going to Paris tomorrow with OH for a long weekend!!  We don't have anything planned in particular, but the weather is supposed to be great, so I'm thinking a few days random strolls around town and a picnic in the park :)
Bonus #4: I didn't have a chance to get currency exchanged this week, but went through my "foreign money jar" and found 70 euro!!  Sorted!

5. Upon my return to work on Tuesday, I've got a year-end review scheduled with my manager, where I find out my bonus & pay rise.  As I've been a contractor for a few years, I've never been eligible for things like these, so I'm just excited that I'm eligible now!   Bonus #5:  6 months ago, we started saving for a house, and are doing quite well-- the bonus pay will give this savings a good boost!
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

« Reply #4270 on: March 13, 2015, 10:00:53 PM »
1. I feel like I wasted most of a day off being on the phone, but we may actually be getting somewhere with insurance, Maybe.

2. We've traded snow for rain, and that and the melting snow are combining to cause a bit of localized flooding and very soggy conditions all over the area. Ahh, spring in Indiana.

3. Since I spent the day on the phone, I suppose Sunday is going to be a fun day of closet cleaning and purging. I really want to get the project done while I am in a 'getting rid of stuff' mood. I truly am a pack rat at heart. I get it from dad, and his mother before him.

4. We didn't get the sweet little old lady who bakes cookies that I always hope for as a new neighbour downstairs, but the guy who moved in has been mostly quiet so far. Hope I haven't jinxed things by mentioning it.

5. Not a lot going on again. Every time I type about how dull our quiet, homebody life is, I hear "Well, it's been a quiet week in Lake Wobegon, Minnesota, my hometown, out there on the edge of the prairie..." in my head.  ;D

― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #4271 on: March 20, 2015, 08:04:55 PM »
1. I spent a very enjoyable hour on a very comfy couch this morning while at the car stereo place, getting out new stereo installed. I usually hate waiting, but the couch was comfy and I enjoyed it today. Plus the joy of a new car stereo!

2. Spring is here. Today was cloudy and a little cooler than it has been, but lately it has been warm enough I have pulled my flip flops and sandals out to an easy access part of the closet floor.

3. Three weeks until the gender reveal for great niece/nephew #3.  [smiley=smitten.gif]

4. Joey is going through another molt. He's a slob anyway, with his food, but now with all the feathers I may as well leave the vacuum in the living room.

5. I think I slept maybe an hour last night. I wonder if hubby would notice if I drift off later when we are watching tv.

― Dr. Seuss

« Reply #4272 on: March 20, 2015, 08:56:12 PM »
1.  My birthday weekend, and off to the session at the pub in a bit with my new friend who also plays fiddle.  It's great to have a few girlfriends here now...  :) [smiley=balloon.gif]

2.  St. Patrick's Day was fab as we went to see our friend's band and they rocked the house!  I danced for two hours straight!  Also, I have a crush on one of the guys in the band, so that may have helped fuel my energy reserves.  [smiley=smitten.gif]  [smiley=clover2.gif]

3.  We need to get tickets for another concert next week, our friend's friend's band are playing in a pub nearby, and they are gonna be great, I know it!  [smiley=guitarist.gif]

4.  We have a nice group in this weekend doing all sorts of interesting things from shamanic work to ayurvedic cooking.... I almost want to join in!  :)

5.  Well, I am happier now than I have been in a long time and having more fun than I've had in 7 months, if not 7 years.... :P
Married October 2007

« Reply #4273 on: March 21, 2015, 08:37:08 AM »
Great you're doing so well, Andee.  And Happy Birthday!
>^.^<
Returned to US 1995
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!

« Reply #4274 on: March 21, 2015, 10:07:56 AM »
Great you're doing so well, Andee.  And Happy Birthday!

:-*
Married October 2007

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab