Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Where can I get American food in London and the UK  (Read 208579 times)

• Made it!
  • Liked: 0
Re: Where can I get American food in London and the UK
« Reply #780 on: July 24, 2013, 05:19:55 PM »
Not sure if anyone has mentioned these websites for American foods/products.

http://www.skyco.uk.com

http://www.americansweets.co.uk/index.asp

I have ordered from American Sweets (Stateside Candy Co), have had no problems with them at all.  They have a few stores, one is located in Guildford.  That's only about 10 miles south of where we live, but I haven't visited the store.  Online ordering is just too easy!  8) 

Skyco has Velveeta, I haven't ordered from them yet, but plan to soon.  I miss Velveeta!!

And if you like bbq, make sure you order some Sweet Baby Ray's from American Sweets!  It's the only bbq sauce we used when we lived back in the USA, I'm so happy to see I can get it here now too!

« Reply #781 on: July 27, 2013, 04:44:09 PM »
NO FLIPPIN WAY!!!! Five Guys just opened ?!?!?  I absolutely LOVE Five Guys!!  The BEST hamburgers EVER!!!!  Mmmmmmmm, I haven't been there since I moved from Atlanta a year ago. :-(  Where is Covent Garden?  I must go there when I arrive in the UK.

London, right next to the Royal Opera House. (Slap bang in the middle of London.)

• Liked: 3
« Reply #782 on: July 29, 2013, 01:41:47 PM »
Went to Leeds on Saturday, and we were going to try True Red BBQ that Mrs Robinson recommended. However when we got there at about 5:50pm they said it would be almost 9pm before we'd get a table! The smells emminating from the place were incredible, so certainly a place we want to go to, but seeing as our last train home was before 10pm we couldn't wait around. Instead we walked down the street looking for a place and found one called NY Burger Kitchen http://www.nybk.co.uk/, menu looked decent and there were tables. More of a pub, order food at the bar. For the starters you could choose any 3 for £10, so we got that to share amongst the 4 of us, we chose calamari, onion rings and nachos. All excellent.
Main course DW had a burger with American cheese on a brioche bun with sweet potato fries! She said that was really good. I had a rack of ribs that just fell away from the bone, delicious.
They had Sam Adams and Blue Moon on tap, I have to say the Sam Adams didn't taste like it to me!
"We don't want our chocolate to get cheesy!"

« Reply #783 on: October 20, 2013, 12:50:18 AM »
WOOT Robin just told me that Starbucks just opened in Dumfries. I know where I will be every morning when I get over there.
Online application completed: Oct 8, 2013
Biometrics completed: Oct 11, 2013
Priority Service Paid: Oct 11, 2013
Application / Docs shipped: ct 11, 2013
Application / Docs arrived: Oct 16, 2013
Application being processed: Oct 16, 2013
Decision had been made email: Oct 18, 2013
package on its way: Oct 23. 2013
Approved visa in hand Oct 25. 2013

« Reply #784 on: November 09, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »
Ocado.com

« Reply #785 on: November 18, 2013, 02:05:19 PM »
Asda has alot  :)

« Reply #786 on: December 07, 2013, 11:12:40 AM »
Went to Tesco in Barnsley yesterday as I wanted to check out what Xmas ales they had.
Anyway, we checked the world food aisle and DW got Libby's Pumpkin at £2 a can. They had quite a range of candy inc Herseys bars (cookies and creme), peanut butter M&M's, mint M&M's, Butterfingers, Babe Ruth. Reasonable prices I thought (from 75p to £1.50), Stove Top stuffing (£3), A1 Steak Sauce and various other stuff.

In the beer aisle they had (Sam Adams aside as thats now being brewed in UK and tastes nothing like), Goose Island IPA and 312, Brooklyn Lager, Shipyard IPA and Porter, think most were in a 4 for £6 offer, and 4 packs of Blue Moon were on offer at 2 for £10 (I think)

• Liked: 7
« Reply #787 on: December 08, 2013, 07:50:49 PM »
Went to Tesco in Barnsley yesterday as I wanted to check out what Xmas ales they had.
Anyway, we checked the world food aisle and DW got Libby's Pumpkin at £2 a can. They had quite a range of candy inc Herseys bars (cookies and creme), peanut butter M&M's, mint M&M's, Butterfingers, Babe Ruth. Reasonable prices I thought (from 75p to £1.50), Stove Top stuffing (£3), A1 Steak Sauce and various other stuff.

Sounds like they picked up the entire section from my local store and moved it to yours!  I was shocked to see that the "American section" had disappeared when I tried to get a tin of Libby's pumpkin at Thanksgiving. :(

But in all fairness, they've replaced the American section with several "buy in bulk" items-- so it's still at least kinda American-style...  ;)
2007-Short Term Student;   2010-T4;   2011-T1 PSW;   2013-FLR(M);    2015-ILR;    2016 - Citizenship (approved!)

• Liked: 223
« Reply #788 on: December 08, 2013, 08:19:39 PM »
I'm not sure if they always carry it (and it's not something I'm really after anyway) but I noticed yesterday Sainsbury's had Marshmallow Fluff.   :)  I used to use it to make fudge, but I don't think I've ever used it for anything else...  :P
July 2012 - Fiancée Visa | Nov 2012 - Married
Dec 2012 - FLR | Nov 2014 - ILR | Dec 2015 - UK Citizen

« Reply #789 on: December 09, 2013, 10:09:01 AM »
I'm not sure if they always carry it (and it's not something I'm really after anyway) but I noticed yesterday Sainsbury's had Marshmallow Fluff.   :)  I used to use it to make fudge, but I don't think I've ever used it for anything else...  :P

Our local Morrison's have had Fluff in for quite a while and it's just with the jams etc. DW often buys it.
Reminded me though - just in the normal section in Tesco they had quite a range of peanut butter inc Jif and Smuckers.

• Liked: 12
« Reply #790 on: December 23, 2013, 09:04:34 AM »
Does anyone know where you can get rapeseed (canola) oil that doesn't cost an arm or two??  Since the stuff is grown here, why is it so expensive?

I get annoyed when reading ingredients on labels and it says "vegetable oil" which I suspect means palm oil (bad for cholesterol).
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Thence we came forth to rebehold the stars
  • Liked: 21
« Reply #791 on: December 23, 2013, 09:17:15 AM »
Does anyone know where you can get rapeseed (canola) oil that doesn't cost an arm or two??  Since the stuff is grown here, why is it so expensive?

I think it's expensive because, at least for the last couple of years, it's trendy or (pardon the pun) sizzling hot!  ;D

It's probably not cheap either but t'internet tells me that Costellos Bakery near you is a stockist for Yorkshire Rapeseed Oil.  :)

Although I'm sure Waitrose etc must carry it.
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack, a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in...

- from Anthem, by Leonard Cohen (b 1934)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #792 on: December 23, 2013, 10:42:44 AM »

I get annoyed when reading ingredients on labels and it says "vegetable oil" which I suspect means palm oil (bad for cholesterol).

Aldi or Lidl? I've gotten big bottles of Scottish Rapeseed oil there for a good price. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 12
« Reply #793 on: December 23, 2013, 06:09:42 PM »
Thanks, Mrs. R and PB.

Yeah, I've gotten it in Waitrose but pricey.  Expect Costello's would be too.  Hadn't thought of Aldi though.
>^.^<
Married and moved to UK 1974
Returned to US 1995
Irish citizenship June 2009
    Irish passport September 2009 
Retirement July 2012
Leeds in 2013!
ILR (Long Residence) 22 March 2016

• Snaps
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #794 on: December 23, 2013, 06:21:49 PM »
Sainsbury's has rapeseed oil and it's not pricey at all.
My Project 365 photo blog: Snaps!

Sponsored Links