Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 514618 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #7200 on: March 09, 2018, 03:19:16 PM »
I'm really looking forward to finally getting to IKEA as well! (the closest was an hour and a half away in Canada so I was always a bit stressed going there back in the states.)

IKEA is literally our saviour haha We don't mind picking up things we need from IKEA cheaper and then passing them on to somebody else who needs it because the pricing is SO reasonable. literally needed a new coffee table so got a good one for £15. Even if it only lasts us a year or two, we're cool with that as it'll be more than paid off by that point.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 958
« Reply #7201 on: March 09, 2018, 03:22:17 PM »
IKEA is literally our saviour haha We don't mind picking up things we need from IKEA cheaper and then passing them on to somebody else who needs it because the pricing is SO reasonable. literally needed a new coffee table so got a good one for £15. Even if it only lasts us a year or two, we're cool with that as it'll be more than paid off by that point.
Exactly! And their storage furniture is really good for the price. We are gonna get our kitchen table there because it folds all the way down to a small cabinet or seats 4 with both leafs out, and their day beds are cute.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 03:29:48 PM by margo »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7202 on: March 09, 2018, 03:40:04 PM »
I don't think I've ever heard peacock noises! I feel I need to Youtube now lol

Vile creatures.  Gorgeous to look at...  but don't live near some!

• Liked: 149
« Reply #7203 on: March 09, 2018, 06:51:42 PM »
Nope, not for the Life in the UK test.  For that, you have to have the ID (BRP usually) and the item of mail match EXACTLY.

At last night's book club, our other recent UK citizen was turned away because her bank statement didn't have her middle name on it.  She had to go have it changed at the bank and reschedule.  MAJOR pain in the ass.
I'm just catching up with this. I didn't see anything on the official site that said the proof of address had to have the exact full names as your drivers license/BRP/Passport etc. It just states that you need to bring proof of address with post code on it as well as your name.....as well as the ID having the exact name that you booked the appointment with.  Like others here....none of the utilities/bank etc put your full name on anything. The only thing I found that had my full name on it was my BRP paper which was issued on 21 Dec 2017. The paper itself has no date....the only date is on the BRP itself. That date of 21 Dec would allow me to take the test with that document sometime in the next 12 days. Any idea if that would work....or do I need to go to the bank and see if they will print me out something with my full name on it?
Fred

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #7204 on: March 09, 2018, 06:59:02 PM »
Probably not. I had the electric company add his middle name to the account so it matched his BRP.

.The information you give when you register for a test must be an exact match to the ID and postcode evidence presented. If this information is not correct you may not be able to take the test and we will not refund your test fee./quote]

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/574714/LitUK-termsandconditions.pdf
« Last Edit: March 09, 2018, 07:04:35 PM by larrabee »

« Reply #7205 on: March 09, 2018, 07:42:32 PM »
I'm just catching up with this. I didn't see anything on the official site that said the proof of address had to have the exact full names as your drivers license/BRP/Passport etc. It just states that you need to bring proof of address with post code on it as well as your name.....as well as the ID having the exact name that you booked the appointment with.  Like others here....none of the utilities/bank etc put your full name on anything. The only thing I found that had my full name on it was my BRP paper which was issued on 21 Dec 2017. The paper itself has no date....the only date is on the BRP itself. That date of 21 Dec would allow me to take the test with that document sometime in the next 12 days. Any idea if that would work....or do I need to go to the bank and see if they will print me out something with my full name on it?

A friend was turned away as none of her post had her middle name on it which was on her ID.  She had her middle name added to a bank statement and printed and was accepted the second time.

The real moral of the story is don’t wait until right before your visa expires to take the test!

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #7206 on: March 09, 2018, 07:44:58 PM »
The real moral of the story is don’t wait until right before your visa expires to take the test!

That and read the small print!  ;)

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7207 on: March 09, 2018, 07:49:41 PM »
That and read the small print!  ;)

Well, I feel very lucky!  I don't remember what I brought to prove my address, but whatever it was ... Oh!  I wonder if I brought the letter from... hmm.. no, that would have been too old... Yeah, I have no idea.  Lucky me!  Whatever I did, it worked and they let me take my test.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 149
« Reply #7208 on: March 09, 2018, 08:25:05 PM »
Guess I'll head into the bank tomorrow with my wife. With my luck I would get down there and they wouldn't let me make any changes....or run off a special bank account copy without her there since everything is in both names.
Fred

« Reply #7209 on: March 12, 2018, 09:32:17 AM »
Well, I feel very lucky!  I don't remember what I brought to prove my address, but whatever it was ... Oh!  I wonder if I brought the letter from... hmm.. no, that would have been too old... Yeah, I have no idea.  Lucky me!  Whatever I did, it worked and they let me take my test.

OH! Didn't realise you had taken yours now! When'd you go?! :)
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

« Reply #7210 on: March 12, 2018, 02:01:19 PM »
OH! Didn't realise you had taken yours now! When'd you go?! :)

In September.  It was kind of fun, apart from the pressure of knowing I'm out £50 if I didn't pass.  It's not a sum that would break my budget, but it would have been annoying to have to pay and try again, not to mention embarrassing because so many people (IRL) knew I was doing my test that day.  I like my husband's approach: don't tell people you're trying to do something, and then they only know about your successes.  :)

« Reply #7211 on: March 12, 2018, 02:07:13 PM »
I like my husband's approach: don't tell people you're trying to do something, and then they only know about your successes.  :)

That is ALWAYS my approach. I'd rather surprise people telling them I passed than have to tell them I failed. I was irritated with my husband when he told his family I was taking my driving exam!
My, how time flies....

« Reply #7212 on: March 12, 2018, 02:08:21 PM »
That is ALWAYS my approach. I'd rather surprise people telling them I passed than have to tell them I failed. I was irritated with my husband when he told his family I was taking my driving exam!

This!  I told you guys here about my job interviews but NO ONE knew in real life!

« Reply #7213 on: March 12, 2018, 02:34:22 PM »
After I finished my graduate studies, I had to take a certain professional licensing exam.  It's administered twice a year on specific dates, and the results are disseminated by publishing it in the state-wide newspaper (!!!).  There was no way to hide this process from my family, so I left town for two weeks right before the results for my test date came out, because I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be in the list of people who passed (the pass rate was only 65%, and I wasn't the strongest student), and I wanted time to recover from the failure and accept it before facing everybody.

Turns out I did pass, and my family celebrated without me, rather than waiting for me to come home.  I never got a celebration, as a result.  Bastards.  :P

« Reply #7214 on: March 12, 2018, 02:49:30 PM »
After I finished my graduate studies, I had to take a certain professional licensing exam.  It's administered twice a year on specific dates, and the results are disseminated by publishing it in the state-wide newspaper (!!!).  There was no way to hide this process from my family, so I left town for two weeks right before the results for my test date came out, because I was pretty sure I wasn't going to be in the list of people who passed (the pass rate was only 65%, and I wasn't the strongest student), and I wanted time to recover from the failure and accept it before facing everybody.

Turns out I did pass, and my family celebrated without me, rather than waiting for me to come home.  I never got a celebration, as a result.  Bastards.  :P

My brother-in-law hasn't figured this out yet.  He has told EVERYONE that his wife is applying for a job that closes for applications in April.  He goes on and on about how she has an AMAZING CV, blah blah blah.  And I don't doubt that for one single second.  But we all know that there can be SO many reasons you are passed over for a job.  Internal candidate, more experience, better rate of pay, known candidate to one of the hiring staff...   ::)

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab