Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410202 times)

• Liked: 585
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7005 on: May 25, 2019, 09:06:08 PM »
I’ve made it :D

Pump Up The Jam is DELICIOUS

Also bought a glass (mandatory for all the breweries we visit) and a rubber bar mat for the tap room we will hopefully have in future that we’ve just decided we definitely want in the new house

YAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!
Heavy love for Pump Up The Jam here!!

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #7006 on: May 25, 2019, 09:20:12 PM »
YAAAAAAAAAAYYYY!
Heavy love for Pump Up The Jam here!!
Might be my new favourite Tiny Rebel and top contender for overall favourites

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #7007 on: May 26, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »

I can't believe this forum was totally dead for days and now there's so much Friday Five I can hardly read it all. 

Quick recap
--Good going Albatross, trade in living with a man and visiting a dog for living with a dog and visiting a man. 

--KFDancer, you are a nut for buying AC.  WTF?  We've got an outside dining table we get to use twice a year. 

--Ksand, totally jealous of your Italy Trip

--XKOD, totally jelous of your Amsterdam trip an your current beer soaked trip. 

My Sunday 5 -
Me and my boy have a new project: building a PC for downstairs. There's a store in Portsmouth that's got all the bits in stock, so I convinced my wife to drive with us down there.  While me and the boy geeked out on the computers, my wife walked to a castle.  Then off to a pub on Hayling Island for dinner. 

Has anybody seen the new computers with glass panels on the side of the case and RAM that lights up like a rainbow, and liquid cooling with LED lights?    Anyway, today we are building all day today. 

« Reply #7008 on: May 26, 2019, 10:05:27 AM »
I can't believe this forum was totally dead for days and now there's so much Friday Five I can hardly read it all. 

Quick recap
--Good going Albatross, trade in living with a man and visiting a dog for living with a dog and visiting a man. 

--KFDancer, you are a nut for buying AC.  WTF?  We've got an outside dining table we get to use twice a year. 

--Ksand, totally jealous of your Italy Trip

--XKOD, totally jelous of your Amsterdam trip an your current beer soaked trip. 

My Sunday 5 -
Me and my boy have a new project: building a PC for downstairs. There's a store in Portsmouth that's got all the bits in stock, so I convinced my wife to drive with us down there.  While me and the boy geeked out on the computers, my wife walked to a castle.  Then off to a pub on Hayling Island for dinner. 

Has anybody seen the new computers with glass panels on the side of the case and RAM that lights up like a rainbow, and liquid cooling with LED lights?    Anyway, today we are building all day today.

Gaming PC??

Did you finish the marshmello hat in the end?, I can’t remember!  The new project sounds cool!

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7009 on: May 26, 2019, 11:53:32 AM »
Oh, man, that sounds like a heavenly store.  Your kid is lucky to have a parent who wants to do "tinkering around" things with them.

I built my first working PC (ok, granted it was 1989 and they were a lot less complicated then) and miss getting to tinker.

I kept my first "bought" PC - from the Twinhead company of California. Amber screen. Have it and the software. Bless it, it's been in a couple of boxes and shipped hither and yon for 25 years now. I wonder if it's possible to get it working again? Still have "Reader Rabbit" and that sort of thing for it. All DOS based. Hmmm. Once I get the aquarium thing all settled (we are having trouble getting the big tank to "cycle", although the little one is well on the way - has to do with the water being too far on the acidic side for the necessary bacteria to survive here!) I think I'm going to dig it out and see if it'll run.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2019, 12:02:12 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #7010 on: May 26, 2019, 04:02:23 PM »
Gaming PC??

Did you finish the marshmello hat in the end?, I can’t remember!  The new project sounds cool!

We declared temporary victory on the Marshmello helmet by getting most of the lights to work and attaching the batteries.  We've got some new lights on order from China but it's on hiatus.

The new computer is not for gaming, just the kitchen computer for browsing and homework. 

« Reply #7011 on: May 26, 2019, 04:05:13 PM »
Oh, man, that sounds like a heavenly store.  Your kid is lucky to have a parent who wants to do "tinkering around" things with them.

I built my first working PC (ok, granted it was 1989 and they were a lot less complicated then) and miss getting to tinker.

I kept my first "bought" PC - from the Twinhead company of California. Amber screen. Have it and the software. Bless it, it's been in a couple of boxes and shipped hither and yon for 25 years now. I wonder if it's possible to get it working again? Still have "Reader Rabbit" and that sort of thing for it. All DOS based. Hmmm. Once I get the aquarium thing all settled (we are having trouble getting the big tank to "cycle", although the little one is well on the way - has to do with the water being too far on the acidic side for the necessary bacteria to survive here!) I think I'm going to dig it out and see if it'll run.

Please tell me you haven't been shipping a huge CRT monitor around the world for 25 years?  I did one as well.  Ridiculous. 

• Liked: 674
« Reply #7012 on: May 26, 2019, 05:27:45 PM »
Well, it wasn't that huge, really.

But yeah. Amber display screen and all.  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7013 on: May 31, 2019, 09:27:12 AM »
It's Friday!  Ohmigosh, finally!

1.  Monday was a bank holiday, and my husband had a half-day on Wednesday.  Still, by Wednesday night I was ready for the week to be over.  I don't know why.

2.  Before going to do my weekly shop yesterday, I discussed the egg custard tart situation with my husband.  He said two boxes (4/box) was a sensible amount... three boxes was excessive.  So I reluctantly agreed and bought two boxes.  Then he said, "I didn't think you'd listen, you fool!"  Now we don't have excessive egg custard tarts, and I am sad.

3.  After seeing my enthusiasm and hearing my rationale, my husband is moving his non-ISA savings into premium bonds.  He fully expects to win something nearly every month.  But, then, so do I.  We know the odds.  We just expect to defy them.

4.  It's the end of May and the forecast for the foreseeable future is blah.  We're starting to think that perhaps summer just won't this year.  I had to freeze the pizza dough I made for last weekend, and I don't think we'll be defrosting it this weekend.  I am overdue for pizza.  That dough was so smooth and elastic... I just want to nom the awesome pizza that it's destined to be.

5.  Our 6th anniversary is Tuesday.  I bought chilli seeds.  I should get a propagation kit, too.  My husband's birthday is the 9th... I bought the top (hottest) five sauces from the 9th season of Hot Ones lineup.  It's not a fancy gift, but it's something fun for him to open (and eat), and meanwhile the "I.O.U. one planer/thicknesser upgrade" won't be so disappointing.

Bonus: cheese and port this evening.  Yay!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #7014 on: May 31, 2019, 10:05:04 AM »
JFK - You are DEFINITELY overdue for pizza! hah

My Friday 5:

1. Received really positive news on Wednesday about my dad! My mom phoned me while I was leaving work to say they met with the surgeon and that the biopsies done on the two small spots both came back negative! That could obviously be a bad thing as well - we know - and they didn't biopsy the big one they were most concerned about, BUT we are being really positive and we're pleased with that. He needs a third MRI because the surgeon said he didn't think the last 2 were clear enough where he needed it to be BUT he will give the results on the day. he also told my parents not to bother moving there trip here forward or backwards as he said he didn't see the need to do that (no sense of urgency, which we're taking as a good sign). Not sure what next steps will be, but so far we're staying positive and we think this is actually quite good news so far! Fingers crossed that the MRI keeps giving us better and better news :D

2. Today is my last day working on my really stressful project I've been on for a year. I move off the programme and onto another (stressful, top secret programme) on Monday. A fresh start with a bit more structure to the programme will be good though :)

3. I've got an interview scheduled for Wendesday next week at another telecoms company. Was head hunted by a guy that left VF and he's keen to get me in with them as he wants people he knows are capable and, as we worked on the same programme, he knows what I've worked on and what I'm capable of delivering so I might be able to push back on things like salary if I'm offered the job...but not putting the horse before the cart...we'll see :)

4. Our seller MIGHT vacate the house early to break the chain for us so instead of the wayyy further out date of end of August/beginning of September, we might be able to get in the house towards the end of July. Still waiting on confirmations, but if this is the case we can finalise a date and start with the exchanging. Bad news is that they spotted down the side of our house LOADS of fluorescent bulbs! Because it's a bit we can't easily see or look down, we hadn't noticed them when we moved in but the people moving into ours - because they are doing an extension, so looking at EVERYTHING - noticed and now we are the ones that have to dig them out and bring them to the tip. Leasson Learned 100% for the next time we move house (if we ever move again)...ALWAYS look at every nook and crannie before agreeing to buy a house so you don't end up with a sh*t pit. We didn't even know to look at HALF the stuff they are looking at.

5. I genuinely cannot wait to do almost NOTHING this weekend...The last few weeks have been so incredibly busy with constant travelling around and this weekend should be a more quiet one. Also, it's pizza friday! (though I do need to start being healthy because with all that travelling around comes really crappy dieting and too much drinking).
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #7015 on: May 31, 2019, 10:40:58 AM »
My Friday Five:

1. Good: It’s my birthday today :)!

2. Not so good: I have to work 5 pm to 8pm this evening and then I’m on call until 1am

3. Good: I decided to drive to Leicester to go shopping, and right now I’m sitting in the John Lewis cafe with a hot chocolate and free Pain au Chocolat (I had a voucher but there’s no John Lewis in Lincoln)

4. Good: I found 2 lovely dresses for my brother’s and cousin’s weddings in September 

5. Not so good: I’m now on a hunt to find comfortable shoes that go with them... I’ve ordered 10 pairs this week and so far have returned 4 of the 5 that have arrived (the other 5 are on their way).

« Reply #7016 on: May 31, 2019, 10:54:55 AM »
KoD: Enjoy your pizza noms!  Think of me as you consume.  That's great news about your dad!  In fact, all of your five are great except the sh*t pit of flourescent bulbs.  What is that about?  (I shouldn't judge the previous owners of your house, though... I'm the one who posted a picture of the electric rock we dug up while extending our patio last month.)

KSand24: HAPPY BIRTHDAY!  And congrats on finding not one, but two dresses!  You are clearly gifted at dress shopping.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #7017 on: May 31, 2019, 11:14:58 AM »
Happy Birthday ksand24!  [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif] [smiley=balloon.gif]

« Reply #7018 on: May 31, 2019, 11:19:33 AM »
KSAND - YAAAYYY FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! BOOOOOOO FOR THE WORK!

JF - Oh the owners of my house prior to us were garbage people... I mean....let's be honest...Rik and I have our faults...but the state this place was in and the dodgey way they conducted works being done and stuff they left behind was just..yeah. We learned a massive lesson from buying this house and I thought we had learned all the lessons possible...until hearing about the fluorescent bulbs! There are about 60 of them in total, I'm not even joking! You can only take 10 to the tip at a time apparently. I work by the tip (literally next door) so I'm taking 10 today...
My, how time flies....

« Reply #7019 on: May 31, 2019, 11:33:04 AM »
KSAND - YAAAYYY FOR YOUR BIRTHDAY!!! BOOOOOOO FOR THE WORK!

JF - Oh the owners of my house prior to us were garbage people... I mean....let's be honest...Rik and I have our faults...but the state this place was in and the dodgey way they conducted works being done and stuff they left behind was just..yeah. We learned a massive lesson from buying this house and I thought we had learned all the lessons possible...until hearing about the fluorescent bulbs! There are about 60 of them in total, I'm not even joking! You can only take 10 to the tip at a time apparently. I work by the tip (literally next door) so I'm taking 10 today...

Can you fit them all in your car and just tote them around with you, stopping in at the tip as and when you have time?  Drive in, leave 10, go have a coffee, go back to the tip and leave 10 more... you could be rid of them by the end of the weekend.  :)

Sponsored Links