Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: My accent  (Read 13895 times)

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
  • Liked: 0
Re: My accent
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2009, 08:07:15 PM »

No one here knows where Pennsylvania is and it is bigger than Scotland, but I don't think that makes people ignorant. 

Most people I met knew Philadelphia, that was about it.  I'd always have to explain where Lancaster (PA) was to them. 
http://blog.beccajanestclair.com

Met Tim Online: 2004 ~ Met IRL in the US: 6/2005
Engaged: 23/09/2009 ~ Married:  05/11/2009
Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009
Spousal Visa Issued: 31/12/2009 ~ Move Date: 21/1/2010

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2009, 08:15:40 PM »
A *lot* of people weren't really sure where Philadelphia is (and I don't consider that ignorant--I didn't have a clue where Leeds was til I met my hubby!); I just say 2 hours "in from" the sea (driving) and 2 and a half hours "down from" NYC.

Whenever someone asks me about my accent, where I'm from, what brings me to Leeds, etc, etc it never gets old.  I love pleasant, curious and friendly people.  Like Jewlz mentioned, it always sparks good conversation.

Thankfully, I have had very few times where anyone was rude and / or mocking towards my accent and American-ness.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2009, 09:29:08 PM »
In my first -- oh I don't know, two, three, maybe -- years in the US, it hadn't gotten old yet for me either.

But as more years went by with the same conversations, ten times a day, working in a job that exposed me to a stream of strangers......believe me, it got old.

It may not feel that way now, but further down the line, one's feelings can change. A lot. Twenty years later I was sick and tired, because it never changed although I had.
*Repatriated Brit undergoing culture shock with the rest of you!*

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2009, 11:35:22 PM »
A *lot* of people weren't really sure where Philadelphia is (and I don't consider that ignorant--I didn't have a clue where Leeds was til I met my hubby!); I just say 2 hours "in from" the sea (driving) and 2 and a half hours "down from" NYC.

Hey, that's a pretty good way to describe where it is, actually.  Like how Tim and I tell my friends he lives "2 hours north of London", because well, they know where London is.

Biometrics Submitted: 28/12/2009 ~ Spousal Visa Application Submitted: 12/31/2009

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #49 on: August 30, 2009, 10:41:39 AM »
We live 400 miles from London, but some people still ask me "How's living in London?" It's like it's the only place to live in the UK or something!

« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2009, 10:52:16 AM »
We live 400 miles from London, but some people still ask me "How's living in London?" It's like it's the only place to live in the UK or something!

Yep, that's not cool of them. I'm a Londoner but I see how irritating it is that a lot of people think it's the be-all-and-end all of life in the UK, and naturally it is not by any means.

Oddly, while I was in the US I think some people I encountered even believed "London" was the name of the entire country! That seems so lacking in knowledge that it's hard to believe, but I really did find myself in some very odd conversations in which it started to seem to me that the person thought London was the entire nation, not just a city within the nation. Shockingly, even some quite intelligent and seemingly educated people made this mistake. Not often, but enough for me to be  ??? ??? ???

« Reply #51 on: August 30, 2009, 11:17:56 AM »
I always say 2 hours south of New York City.   When I lived in Scotland I got the whole is that neat Transylvania, and it wasn't always a joke, but there is no real reason for people to know where PA is, just as there is no real reason for people to know where Scotland is.

It is a small country and as my dh says the whole UK separate countries one nation thing is odd. 

« Reply #52 on: August 30, 2009, 11:34:09 AM »
One can say well there's no real reason to know where Scotland is, if someone is an American, and there's no real reason to know where Pennsylvania is, if one is a Brit.....but at the same time, isn't that a shame? Seriously?

Basic education in any country, ought to cover general world geography. Even though it isn't vital to life, it's a shame that a UK native doesn't have somewhere in the back of their schoolday recollections, a rough rundown of US states, or that an American hasn't had at some point in their early education, a schooling on the names and locations of other countries.

I remembering finding some of these things out myself as a kid, outside of school, not just in it, just because I had an enquiring mind.

Even following the news with the merest slice of attention ought to filter some of this stuff into people's minds; it's called general knowledge, and it's a shame that it's a dying trait. General world knowledge, even about stuff that isn't vitally important to that's person's life, used to be a valued thing to aquire just for it's own sake.

Considering that so many Americans are actually descended from the people of Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales, it's a pretty poor showing that they wouldn't know where Scotland is.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:40:08 AM by Midnight blue »

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2009, 12:39:15 PM »
Most people learn it as kids, most people forget it as adults because it isn't something that they need to know in everyday life after learning it in school.

Sure I would love for everyone to care about the world.  I can name all the countries in Europe, capitals and major rivers, but then I bet my husband wishes I could do more complex math. 

I can't.  I learned it in school, I hated it, I passed my test and forgot it. 

• Banned

• Becca Jane St Clair
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2009, 04:00:21 PM »

My Mom programmed my UK mobile number into her phone as "Rebecca's London Number".

I always say 2 hours south of New York City.   When I lived in Scotland I got the whole is that neat Transylvania, and it wasn't always a joke, but there is no real reason for people to know where PA is, just as there is no real reason for people to know where Scotland is.

Tim knew where PA was, but when we were planning his visit, he was surprised when I told him DC was only 2.5 hours away compared to Pittsburgh which is closer to 5 hours and in the same state!

It'd be nice if everyone knew all the states, but you're right. Unless knowing where someplace is affects you directly, you probably don't know. 

But people not knowing where Scotland is?  That's sad. It's a country!  OTOH, I still don't know all the former USSR countries, so I suppose I'm in no better shape!

• just a little whiterabbit
  • Liked: 4
« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2009, 04:03:53 PM »
Off on an entirely different tangent..........

Has anyone found the American accent to be a detriment in actually finding work?

I see comments here about customers, clients and the general public being somewhat rude in the workplace.  But what about procurring a job?

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2009, 04:11:21 PM »

Has anyone found the American accent to be a detriment in actually finding work?

I didn't, but most days I don't think of my accent and how I sound! (I did get my job 2 years ago though before the market went downhill); it's only when a customer at my job mentions my accent do I sometimes remember (or when my son asks me what they call something in America!) :)

I'd be interested to hear if anyone has encountered this though...

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2009, 06:14:36 PM »

I think my accent may have worked in my favor.  I think Americans are generally seen as being enthusiastic and positive, but those are things I am anyway.  I was told I got my job because of my enthusiasm and attitude (besides being qualified).

Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #58 on: September 01, 2009, 01:25:49 PM »
I think my accent may have worked in my favor.  I think Americans are generally seen as being enthusiastic and positive, but those are things I am anyway.  I was told I got my job because of my enthusiasm and attitude (besides being qualified).

My employers told me they thought it would be cool to have a "posh, professional American voice" answer the phone here. Yet, it throws a lot of people off because they expect to hear a Geordie accent. When I transfer a call, I say "just a moment" and put someone through. When my colleague covers my lunch break, she says things like "cheers, Hen" or "there ya go, pet" when she transfers calls (I'm not kidding!).  ;D Though I have had some Southerners tell me they were relieved it was an American answering the phone, as I am much easier to understand for them than the locals here.  8)

It does give the visitors something to comment on, and I have had many long, entertaining discussions with people waiting in the lobby about America, so at least they aren't just sitting around waiting with no one to talk to.

« Reply #59 on: September 01, 2009, 01:34:59 PM »
http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamies-america/

I imagine Mr Olivers essex/borderline cockney accent will be amusing over there... ???

Sponsored Links