Topic: My accent  (Read 13894 times)

• Jewlz
  • is in the house because....

• International Woman of Mystery
  • Liked: 3
Re: My accent
« Reply #60 on: September 01, 2009, 01:50:07 PM »
http://www.jamieoliver.com/jamies-america/

I imagine Mr Olivers essex/borderline cockney accent will be amusing over there... ???

LOL... too funny to see him with that big moustache.

The Naked Chef has been shown on American networks since it first aired, I think (they still show it on the Food Network, last I saw). I am pretty sure a lot of people there know who he is (though they might only know him as "Naked Chef.")  ;D

« Reply #61 on: September 01, 2009, 01:54:51 PM »
Yep, he was on our local PBS as well since the early naughties.  I used to watch him just because his accent reminded me of my husband's (although not exactly the same).

I think the adverts for the American show are hilarious.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #62 on: September 01, 2009, 02:42:49 PM »
Most people learn it as kids, most people forget it as adults because it isn't something that they need to know in everyday life after learning it in school.

Sure I would love for everyone to care about the world.  I can name all the countries in Europe, capitals and major rivers, but then I bet my husband wishes I could do more complex math. 

I can't.  I learned it in school, I hated it, I passed my test and forgot it. 

Yeah that was the point I was going to make too. I learned all countries in Africa for my high school freshman history class. All states, capitals and probably dates of joining the union in my senior year. And all of Europe and its countries when I was a junior. I also did six semesters of calculus in college and I doubt I can solve for slope in a basic straight-line equation without looking it up.

I don't understand the hangwringing, really. People make it  sound like history and geography education is all "...there be dragons!"
And if you threw a party
Invited everyone you knew
You would see the biggest gift would be from me
And the card attached would say
"Thank you for being a friend!"

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2009, 07:38:48 AM »
Conversation at the hairdresser's yesterday:

Stylist: "Where are you from?"
Me: "New York."
Stylist: "We have another woman from America who comes in here. Here accent is totally different than yours."
Me: "Where is she from?"
Stylist: "She's from Virgiinia but her family is in California. I guess it's like people in different parts of Yorkshire have different accents."

Not different parts of England, but different parts of Yorkshire.

• On an Irish adventure, on the West coast of Clare!
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2009, 09:07:33 AM »

Not different parts of England, but different parts of Yorkshire.
Absolutely.  Now that I've been here a couple of years I can hear the differences between a Leeds accent and a Pudsey accent.  A Manchester accent (where my hubby is from, just over the border in Lancashire) is totally different to Leeds accent.
Met husband-to-be in Ireland July 2006
Married October 2007
Became a British citizen 21 July 2011
Separated from husband August 2014
Off on an Irish adventure October 2014

• Jewlz

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2009, 09:58:44 AM »
Absolutely.  Now that I've been here a couple of years I can hear the differences between a Leeds accent and a Pudsey accent.  A Manchester accent (where my hubby is from, just over the border in Lancashire) is totally different to Leeds accent.

Yep, different parts of Northumberland have different accents, too. People from Amble can tell an Alnwick accent and its only 9 miles from here. I haven't become that perceptive, though.

« Reply #66 on: September 02, 2009, 12:15:35 PM »
Same as in London with different accents from North, East and Sauf   :)

• York Interweb
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #67 on: September 02, 2009, 12:40:31 PM »
I know.

I just thought it was amusing that she put Yorkshire on a par with the entire US.

As if a trip from New York to LA is equivalent to a trip from Hull to Sheffield.

• Jewlz

« Reply #68 on: September 02, 2009, 01:21:12 PM »
As if a trip from New York to LA is equivalent to a trip from Hull to Sheffield.

LOL... to people here, it really is. London is only 400 miles away, I would've driven further than that in the states to visit a friend, but from up here, its considered a HUGE trip.  :)

« Reply #69 on: September 09, 2009, 10:35:39 PM »
I remember one time the BF and I were discussing driving down to Cornwall (from Manchester area) and thought we might have to do it in 2 days!  2 days!  I used to drive 4 hours for a meeting and then 4 hours back in one day.   :)

« Reply #70 on: September 10, 2009, 07:07:16 AM »
I remember one time the BF and I were discussing driving down to Cornwall (from Manchester area) and thought we might have to do it in 2 days!  2 days!  I used to drive 4 hours for a meeting and then 4 hours back in one day.   :)

Is it only a 4 hour drive?  I remember it took 6 hours on the train from London to Penzance.  4 hours is nothing--I really want to go back now!
Married October 2007

« Reply #71 on: September 10, 2009, 07:17:10 AM »
I suppose it depends on where you're starting from and where you're going to in Cornwall and, of course, what the traffic's like!

My last two trips were from Leicester to Penzance and from Birmingham to Mevagissey - with one stop along the way each trip, it took something over six hours...but we managed it in one day.  ;)
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

« Reply #72 on: September 10, 2009, 07:25:00 AM »
I suppose it depends on where you're starting from and where you're going to in Cornwall and, of course, what the traffic's like!

My last two trips were from Leicester to Penzance and from Birmingham to Mevagissey - with one stop along the way each trip, it took something over six hours...but we managed it in one day.  ;)
When we do go it will be from Leeds down to the Penzance (West Penwith) area.  I bet it will take more like 6-8 hours?  Anyway, it's doable with an early start.
Married October 2007

« Reply #73 on: September 10, 2009, 07:37:56 AM »
It certainly is - I seem to remember a late lunch of pasties in Penzance a few years back after a start at around 7:00 in the morning...
UK resident since 2005, UK citizen as of 2010 due to female British parent.

• Liked: 3598
« Reply #74 on: September 10, 2009, 07:53:10 AM »
Last time we drove down to Cornwall from Bristol it took about 3.5 hours. And then it's another 3 to 4 hours between Bristol and Manchester. Manchester to Penzance is about 360 miles in total, so I would guess it would take somewhere between 6 and 8 hours (depending on traffic and your speed).

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab