Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 515233 times)

• Liked: 1260
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #8190 on: July 16, 2018, 01:38:33 PM »
My IA for today:

Our (refurbished) dehumidifier went kerput a week or two ago after 4 loyal years of nearly continuous service.  The house is starting to smell musty, so I had all the windows open since 8am.  And a little bit ago, I thought a mouse had found a way up to the dirty dishes on the worktop, only to go back there and find a cat... obviously not mine.  It would be fine if the cat belonged to our good neighbors, but it's one of the feral cats from the "farmers" behind us who just hoard animals but don't feed them.

I'm not happy about having a mangy feral cat in my "kitchen".

It looks like you own a cat now...lol Isn't that how it works?

I had my HR meeting, and my feeling that I was lied to in my interview about remote work was correct. The first words out of their mouth were that they do not have a remote work policy so that cannot be part of the accommodation. So I'm on the outs with my team and HR. Great start to a new job!

Oh no! Did you ask them why they told you that then? That is crazy!
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 958
« Reply #8191 on: July 16, 2018, 01:42:30 PM »

Oh no! Did you ask them why they told you that then? That is crazy!

I think because they have RDC access (where you can log into your work desktop computer from outside the office, but it's not full remote access and no digital phone) and they wanted me to be interested in the company they embellished the truth. It was my managers who did that, not HR... HR has to clean up the mess now though. So my managers will be unhappy with me for throwing them under the bus and HR is unhappy because they have to work harder now. I want to run and hide because I've never felt so unwelcome.

• Liked: 6112
« Reply #8192 on: July 16, 2018, 01:46:09 PM »

I think because they have RDC access (where you can log into your work desktop computer from outside the office, but it's not full remote access and no digital phone) and they wanted me to be interested in the company they embellished the truth. It was my managers who did that, not HR... HR has to clean up the mess now though. So my managers will be unhappy with me for throwing them under the bus and HR is unhappy because they have to work harder now. I want to run and hide because I've never felt so unwelcome.

How much do you want the job margo? If it is going to be that uncomfortable, would you not be better off out of there?

« Reply #8193 on: July 16, 2018, 01:47:47 PM »
How much do you want the job margo? If it is going to be that uncomfortable, would you not be better off out of there?
I dont have another job and it took 6 months to get an interview. I *need* this job. I quit my old job and mailed my laptop back.

« Reply #8194 on: July 16, 2018, 01:52:19 PM »
I'm not happy about having a mangy feral cat in my "kitchen".

Do any of the shelters nearby practice Trap-Neuter-Return?  Might be a good idea to get one of them involved for that and to make sure none are in too poor a condition.

« Reply #8195 on: July 16, 2018, 01:55:38 PM »
I dont have another job and it took 6 months to get an interview. I *need* this job. I quit my old job and mailed my laptop back.

Hopefully this is just teething troubles then and once you've got it sorted, everyone will be glad to put it behind them.  :)

« Reply #8196 on: July 16, 2018, 02:00:49 PM »

That's awful :( I'm so sorry you have to deal with that. You didn't throw them under the bus, they jumped in front of it and expected you to push them out of the way.
My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #8197 on: July 16, 2018, 02:37:44 PM »
The air conditioner is broken at work - AGAIN.  Over 30C already....

« Reply #8198 on: July 16, 2018, 02:44:59 PM »
The air conditioner is broken at work - AGAIN.  Over 30C already....

UGH! It's humid about and that's what the killer is! The temp itself isn't awful, it's just the humidity! (at least it was humid when I went outside for a phone call). Your company needs a new AC system!
My, how time flies....

• Liked: 4990
« Reply #8199 on: July 16, 2018, 02:46:38 PM »
UGH! It's humid about and that's what the killer is! The temp itself isn't awful, it's just the humidity! (at least it was humid when I went outside for a phone call). Your company needs a new AC system!

The building is a whopping 2 years old.  And the ground floor and first floor are fine.  It's just the second floor that sucks.  Apparently it's leaking fluid.  Let's see how long the landlord takes to respond this time....

• Liked: 1894
« Reply #8200 on: July 16, 2018, 03:07:56 PM »

I think this approach is pretty sensible, even if it sucks.  I'd be inclined to do everything to keep that job because it could be easily another 6 months to get a new one. 

Let's hope that over time you'll have a chance to be productive and worth the trouble.  Then this hassle will be a vague memory.

• Liked: 1894
« Reply #8201 on: July 16, 2018, 03:08:19 PM »

I think this approach is pretty sensible, even if it sucks.  I'd be inclined to do everything to keep that job because it could be easily another 6 months to get a new one. 

Let's hope that over time you'll have a chance to be productive and worth the trouble.  Then this hassle will be a vague memory.

« Reply #8202 on: July 16, 2018, 03:30:08 PM »

I am their resident SAS expert now so I know I'm worth the hassle, I'm just annoyed that they were disingenuous. That's not the way to build a healthy relationship with employees. Even if I weren't sick I'd want the remote capability given how long the commute is. No wonder they had a hard time finding people!

I'm not leaving until I have a new job, but I am going to be keeping an eye on postings.

« Reply #8203 on: July 16, 2018, 03:31:16 PM »
The building is a whopping 2 years old.  And the ground floor and first floor are fine.  It's just the second floor that sucks.  Apparently it's leaking fluid.  Let's see how long the landlord takes to respond this time....
Oh no :( I hope they fix it quickly!

« Reply #8204 on: July 16, 2018, 04:02:59 PM »

I'm not leaving until I have a new job, but I am going to be keeping an eye on postings.

It might be easier the second time around once you've had some UK-work experience under your belt, however sh*t the company itself turns out to be unfortunately. Sometimes the difference between an interview and no interview has to do with how much working experience you have in the company.
My, how time flies....

Sponsored Links