Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Inconvenient Annoyances  (Read 513662 times)

• Liked: 239
Re: Inconvenient Annoyances
« Reply #9945 on: July 19, 2019, 02:22:33 PM »
Hugs hugs Margo. Hope you get answered soon. It’s horrible being so far away when your loved one is sick.
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 248
« Reply #9946 on: July 19, 2019, 03:52:45 PM »
Hopefully you will know what is going on soon.  Hugs

• Liked: 957
« Reply #9947 on: July 19, 2019, 05:53:25 PM »
She had a TIA and isn't eating much  :( But at least it gives me the opportunity to send a letter.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 154
« Reply #9948 on: July 20, 2019, 09:33:42 AM »
Big hugs.

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #9949 on: July 20, 2019, 11:02:38 AM »
The joy of being overseas when things aren't going well back home. My grandma is 95, I know her time is coming soon, but my mom messaged late last night to say "she's having issues" and to call in the morning US time, because she can't figure out Skype or making international calls. I call the number for the family member she told me to call, no answer. Send her a message, she tells me she's no longer there, having breakfast and on her way to my grandma's town. So I ask when/where I should call. No answer. So at this point I don't even know if my grandma is alive or dead. Why is my family so difficult?? Just tell me over messenger what's going on if you can't answer the phone when you tell me to call. Its far better than being left in the dark.

I am so sorry you're dealing with this right now. My mom is the type who wants to say things over the phone instead of via text as soon as something happens (even if it's jumping the gun). I am not the best with having these difficult conversations and being emotional so I actually prefer text but my mom resists (not to say I don't understand why) so I totally can relate when you say it would just be easier to be told over messenger so you know what's going on. The anxiety around waiting and not knowing can be some of the worst.

Hoping that you're able to get in touch with somebody soon. Sending hugs.

ETA - sorry, I only just saw there was a second page so only saw the follow up after I posted. You're only right around the corner from me so if you did need a lift to the airport, it would be no problem just let me know.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 11:06:12 AM by x0Kiss0fDeath »
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #9950 on: July 20, 2019, 11:19:40 AM »
This is the absolute worst thing about the distance... Thinking of you and your grandma, Margo. x

« Reply #9951 on: July 20, 2019, 11:43:07 AM »
Thanks everyone. She lived independently until almost her 95th birthday so she's had a pretty amazing and fulfilled life. They took her to the ER last night so still waiting to hear how she is now, if getting some fluids may have helped her recover. I just want her to be comfortable and peaceful. My mom understands why I can't be there even if she passes away, so I guess that's the only positive. No amount of pain medicine would get me through a flight right now, along with needing to drive once landing in the US. She's in middle of nowhere Pennsylvania, which is very pretty but not easy to get to without a long drive!

• Liked: 104
« Reply #9952 on: July 22, 2019, 07:13:08 PM »
I've been slowly but surely trying to get my taxes sorted with HMRC since I learned that I need to file for 2018-19, 2017-18, and maybe 2016-17. Went through the registration process, waited to receive my UTR in the post, gathered all the documentation I have about my income during those years...

Went online today to file my returns only to find out that I had to fill out ANOTHER form online and wait another week to receive a separate code in the post! I didn't know that after I registered for self assessment, I would also have to request access to self assessment. ???

No wonder they give you 3 months to file from when you receive the first letter! ;D The waiting game continues...
Spouse visa received: 30 November 2018
Arrived in the UK: 27 December 2018

FLR(M)
Application submitted: 4 August 2021 (super priority)
Biometrics: 15 August 2021
Decision: 16 August 2021 - approved!

ILR
Application submitted: 14 December 2023 (super priority)
Biometrics: 17 December 2023
Decision: 18 December 2023 - approved!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #9953 on: July 23, 2019, 09:13:40 AM »
Hugs Margo. Hopefully you can get the letter out to her before she passes.  Distance is so hard  :\\\'(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 676
« Reply #9954 on: July 29, 2019, 10:05:06 AM »
Not an annoyance really, just sadness.

Went to the farmer's market in Partick on Saturday. Had a great cheeseburger, so that was good. Waddled around in the drizzle, bought some steaks that are supposedly from "Highland Coos" (I hope they still don't have the riding crop marks on them) to grill outside today if it doesn't rain all day.  Of course, I'm going to be thinking of cute Coos when I eat them, so I'm thinking it's gonna bother me. (No, seriously, I can only eat fish if it doesn't look like a fish, and ever since I had and hand-raised birds as a hobby I can't eat poultry that's not already cut up. I just can't do it. What a weeney, huh?)  But if it's tasty enough I imagine I'll forget the origin pretty quickly. Assuming it's not raining all day again today. Otherwise, it goes into the freezer for a better day.

Then went to go to the Polish grocery store to stock up on my favorite crackers (Krakerzys (sp?) - they are somewhere between a saltine and a Ritz). Only to find the shop locked up and almost empty. I guess they went home.  :\\\'( There's still a much smaller shop a few doors down, but they don't have nearly the selection. Darn it, I really liked that little shop and all the (to me) exotic stuff they had in there. We were kind of nibbling our way down the rows, buying something different to check it out each time we went in. I guess I should have gone in more than once a month.  Several of the stands at the Farmer's Market were empty, too. 

Noticed several shops closed and vacant on Great Western Road and down Byres Road while out walking. The Indian restaurant has been closed for months, with the same "we're going to reopen soon, after we remodel" sign in the window (no sign of any work in there). Sad to see them go, but kind of expected, in a way. Brexit is playing hell with people.   :(

• Liked: 768
« Reply #9955 on: July 29, 2019, 11:12:59 AM »
Not an annoyance really, just sadness.

Went to the farmer's market in Partick on Saturday. Had a great cheeseburger, so that was good. Waddled around in the drizzle, bought some steaks that are supposedly from "Highland Coos" (I hope they still don't have the riding crop marks on them) to grill outside today if it doesn't rain all day.  Of course, I'm going to be thinking of cute Coos when I eat them, so I'm thinking it's gonna bother me. (No, seriously, I can only eat fish if it doesn't look like a fish, and ever since I had and hand-raised birds as a hobby I can't eat poultry that's not already cut up. I just can't do it. What a weeney, huh?)  But if it's tasty enough I imagine I'll forget the origin pretty quickly. Assuming it's not raining all day again today. Otherwise, it goes into the freezer for a better day.

Then went to go to the Polish grocery store to stock up on my favorite crackers (Krakerzys (sp?) - they are somewhere between a saltine and a Ritz). Only to find the shop locked up and almost empty. I guess they went home.  :\\\'( There's still a much smaller shop a few doors down, but they don't have nearly the selection. Darn it, I really liked that little shop and all the (to me) exotic stuff they had in there. We were kind of nibbling our way down the rows, buying something different to check it out each time we went in. I guess I should have gone in more than once a month.  Several of the stands at the Farmer's Market were empty, too. 

Noticed several shops closed and vacant on Great Western Road and down Byres Road while out walking. The Indian restaurant has been closed for months, with the same "we're going to reopen soon, after we remodel" sign in the window (no sign of any work in there). Sad to see them go, but kind of expected, in a way. Brexit is playing hell with people.   :(
We don't tend to eat Highland Coos here as they are super expensive. They are about £8000 a head. So you've probably bought cattle raised in The Highlands. Typically Aberdeen Angus.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

• Liked: 676
« Reply #9956 on: July 30, 2019, 09:46:37 AM »
Well Angus is good. Tasty! It's sunny out now, but I know if I get the chicken out of the freezer to thaw, by 2pm it's going to be pouring down rain.  Maybe I'll try for tomorrow....

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #9957 on: August 06, 2019, 04:00:19 PM »
Two days off work.  Back to back meetings.  I need the toilet people!!!!!

« Reply #9958 on: August 08, 2019, 02:46:46 PM »

Filed my first complaint with the NHS. The doctor I saw yesterday disregarded half of the current problem I'm having, refused the medication needed on grounds it wasn't in Nice guidelines (only because he was ignoring the issue, I confirmed after the appointment), and he told me if I wasn't happy I can go see a private GP. For someone with medical PTSD that's about as bad as it gets for not being heard. He happily prescribed strong antibiotics when I have no sign of infection, but wouldn't fix the problem with a short course of prednisolone or refer to an ENT who would. *shakes head*

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #9959 on: August 08, 2019, 02:59:23 PM »
Wow, that's not on.

Err , someone should tell this doctor that NICE guidlines are just GUIDELINES, not Tramlines,  and that doctor's are all supposed to use their brains too. They did a whole episode on this on Inside Health. 

I'm really sorry Margo that you're having such a tough time with the NHS  :\\\'(
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

Sponsored Links