Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: mascara out of boxes and eggs out of the fridge!  (Read 6993 times)

• Liked: 49
mascara out of boxes and eggs out of the fridge!
« on: March 13, 2018, 10:41:42 AM »
This is so entirely random! I am actually facing my second visa all spread out and ready to send so my mind is just trailing off...... I know there are hundreds of differences but I woke up thinking how odd it is eggs are not kept in the fridge in Tesco. Being a makeup product addict, I found it very weird mascara is not kept in boxes on the shelves! It just freaks me out for some reason! I know I have a kabillion more but any morning or later thoughts on things you find just completely odd!? My friends back home are waiting to read a blog from me on this topic and I promised one after the visa and wedding stuff are out of the way! I have loads! Don't get me started on turning on plugs! I have gone to check my phone so many times and did not flick on the switch! Arrgh! lol

• Liked: 3595
Re: mascara out of boxes and eggs out of the fridge!
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2018, 10:55:10 AM »
I know there are hundreds of differences but I woke up thinking how odd it is eggs are not kept in the fridge in Tesco.

Fun fact:
Did you know that the US is one of the few countries in the world that refrigerates eggs (along with Australia and Japan)? Most other countries actually keep eggs out of the fridge.

The reason is because eggs naturally have a protective coating which prevents bacteria (salmonella) from getting inside. However, if they are washed, they lose the protective coating and therefore they have to be stored in the fridge to prevent salmonella. It's the law in the US that all eggs must be washed before being sold, therefore they have to be kept in the fridge, both in the store and at home.

However, as UK eggs are not washed before they get to the stores, there is also no need for them to be refrigerated :). However, if you do put them in the fridge at home, they need to stay in the fridge, because if they warm up, they will start 'sweating' and could become contaminated with bacteria.

Being a makeup product addict, I found it very weird mascara is not kept in boxes on the shelves! It just freaks me out for some reason!

You know, that's not something I've ever noticed before :P. Some mascaras here are kept in boxes, but yeah, the majority aren't :).

• Liked: 1891
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2018, 11:12:12 AM »
Here's a funny one for you:
On a UK plug, that big prong in the middle serves no purpose other than to open up the holes for the other two prongs. Normally, the holes with the actual electricity are covered with a bit of plastic so a kid can't shove scissors in there.  When you insert a plug, the middle prong operates a mechanism to move the covers out of the way.

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:13:18 AM »
Fun fact:
Did you know that the US is one of the few countries in the world that refrigerates eggs (along with Australia and Japan)? Most other countries actually keep eggs out of the fridge.

The reason is because eggs naturally have a protective coating which prevents bacteria (salmonella) from getting inside. However, if they are washed, they lose the protective coating and therefore they have to be stored in the fridge to prevent salmonella. It's the law in the US that all eggs must be washed before being sold, therefore they have to be kept in the fridge, both in the store and at home.

However, as UK eggs are not washed before they get to the stores, there is also no need for them to be refrigerated :). However, if you do put them in the fridge at home, they need to stay in the fridge, because if they warm up, they will start 'sweating' and could become contaminated with bacteria.

You know, that's not something I've ever noticed before :P. Some mascaras here are kept in boxes, but yeah, the majority aren't :).
Ha! The things ya learn!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 11:13:19 AM »
God knows why they do that stupid switch thing.  Nothing ever works on the first go.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 11:41:31 AM »
Here's a funny one for you:
On a UK plug, that big prong in the middle serves no purpose other than to open up the holes for the other two prongs. Normally, the holes with the actual electricity are covered with a bit of plastic so a kid can't shove scissors in there.  When you insert a plug, the middle prong operates a mechanism to move the covers out of the way.

The one in the middle is the earth! Not everything is earthed but your larger appliances will be.  :)

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 12:32:52 PM »
God knows why they do that stupid switch thing.  Nothing ever works on the first go.
I have muddled this over in my brain. Knowing nothing about current, if it limits a steady flow therefore saving money then brilliant, otherwise it drives me bonkers!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 12:36:10 PM »
The one in the middle is the earth! Not everything is earthed but your larger appliances will be.  :)

Exactly this, it's the ground wire (as Larabee says, not always used).

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 12:38:15 PM »
Exactly this, it's the ground wire (as Larabee says, not always used).

Thank you for translating!  ;D

• Liked: 154
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 09:52:13 PM »
My best friend married a farmer and told me about the egg thing. Boggled me though when I first moved here.

Are the gas handle colours different back home too? Not anything I regularly paid attention to but I swear I filled up with a black pump, and here it’s green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 768
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 11:31:26 PM »
My best friend married a farmer and told me about the egg thing. Boggled me though when I first moved here.

Are the gas handle colours different back home too? Not anything I regularly paid attention to but I swear I filled up with a black pump, and here it’s green.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Green is for diesel in the US.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2018, 09:05:55 AM »
The gas pumps are 100% opposite.  Not confusing at all.

UK:
Green = Petrol
Black = Diesel

USA:
Green = Diesel
Black = Petrol

::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2018, 10:21:43 AM »
Raise your hand if you've filled an entire gas tank with the wrong one...

me

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2018, 10:22:50 AM »

me

I haven't, but I'm absolutely paranoid about it!

My husband has!

• Liked: 163
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2018, 10:36:55 AM »

me

Not an entire tank, but I put a few litres of petrol into a diesel once. The internet assured me it'd be fine as long as I filled it up the rest of the way with diesel, and the internet was right.

Sponsored Links