Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Little Moments of Happiness  (Read 64381 times)

• Liked: 1327
Re: Little Moments of Happiness
« Reply #1365 on: March 19, 2020, 04:05:33 PM »
The sourdough experiment continues to be a big success.  It makes all the bread from the bread machine a thousand times better.  It's way more complicated than I thought to take care of the starter as for some reason you have to throw half of it away twice a day, but I just bumble through and it's been OK so far.  Tomorrow will be a proper loaf with lots of starter, left overnight in the fridge.

I haven't started my sourdough yet, because I knew there was work involved in maintaining it, and I need to sort out storage of it.  I wonder how long I can keep it in this dried state.  I assumed indefinitely, but I will review the instruction sheet again.

On the other hand, I do have a regular soft white loaf on the rise now because my husband is off tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday, so that's three days of toast I'm going to need.  :)
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #1366 on: March 19, 2020, 06:10:38 PM »
I haven't started my sourdough yet, because I knew there was work involved in maintaining it, and I need to sort out storage of it.  I wonder how long I can keep it in this dried state.  I assumed indefinitely, but I will review the instruction sheet again.

On the other hand, I do have a regular soft white loaf on the rise now because my husband is off tomorrow, Sunday, and Monday, so that's three days of toast I'm going to need.  :)
  I think you are OK for a while before it goes bad when dried. 
When I first ordered it, I thought I would use it once and not bother keeping it around.  Now it's like a pet and I am going full Nan.  I worry about it all the time and check it constantly. 

• Liked: 768
« Reply #1367 on: March 19, 2020, 06:20:11 PM »
I order cultures and stuff from Freshly Fermented.  They have several varieties of sour dough starter in both wet and dry. Also, stuff for cultured dairy products,  kombucha and the like.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

« Reply #1368 on: April 26, 2020, 05:25:55 PM »
I put off doing the washing up for <cough> two days <cough>, and finally had to tackle the mountain this morning.  After getting through all of them, I put the dishes away and started peeling and chopping potatoes to make "breakfast" (it's in quotes because we ate at about 3pm).  And that's when I noticed that we'd significantly lost water pressure.  I asked my husband if he was running water in the stableyard, and he said no, but went out to see if it had somehow come on on its own (it's apparently done this before).  He came in and said it hadn't, and I said, "That's bad then... there's a burst pipe somewhere..."

A short while later, I got a text from the water company to say there was a burst water main in my area, and they were fixing it, but I might have no water or low water pressure for a few hours.

This is a LMH because I was able to finish the washing up before that happened, and the burst main means our pipes are no worse than they already were.  Yay!

• Liked: 239
« Reply #1369 on: April 26, 2020, 07:16:53 PM »
That’s good luck @jfkimberly! I would count that as a LMH too!  ;D
UK Spouse Visa (Priority)
Approved: 1 May 2018

FLR(M) Standard
Approved: 16 June 2021

ILR (SET M) Super Priority
Approved: 29 August 2023

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #1370 on: April 28, 2020, 07:46:43 AM »
I put off doing the washing up for <cough> two days <cough>, and finally had to tackle the mountain this morning.  After getting through all of them, I put the dishes away and started peeling and chopping potatoes to make "breakfast" (it's in quotes because we ate at about 3pm).  And that's when I noticed that we'd significantly lost water pressure.  I asked my husband if he was running water in the stableyard, and he said no, but went out to see if it had somehow come on on its own (it's apparently done this before).  He came in and said it hadn't, and I said, "That's bad then... there's a burst pipe somewhere..."

A short while later, I got a text from the water company to say there was a burst water main in my area, and they were fixing it, but I might have no water or low water pressure for a few hours.

This is a LMH because I was able to finish the washing up before that happened, and the burst main means our pipes are no worse than they already were.  Yay!

And the fault was not on your property!   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

• Liked: 37
« Reply #1371 on: May 06, 2020, 07:48:40 PM »
Yeah....finally got a car today and drove for the first time here....am happy to report no accidents or deaths were attributed to me  ;D.  Beep,Beep

« Reply #1372 on: May 06, 2020, 08:17:58 PM »
Yeah....finally got a car today and drove for the first time here....am happy to report no accidents or deaths were attributed to me  ;D.  Beep,Beep

Congrats on the car, and well done for a successful first drive!  What kind of car did you get...?  Anything interesting?

• Liked: 957
« Reply #1373 on: May 06, 2020, 09:27:01 PM »
So exciting! Did you get a manual or automatic?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 37
« Reply #1374 on: May 06, 2020, 09:33:35 PM »
Congrats on the car, and well done for a successful first drive!  What kind of car did you get...?  Anything interesting?

I still want my Prius hybrid but decided to start out with just a Kia Picanto until I get used to driving here.  It was only £2450 for a 2009 with just over 28 000 miles on it.  I named her Bluebell and one day she wants to grow up and be a real car. [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]

With everything shut down I’ve had to wait until now for something to finally open and me to purchase one.  The garage where I bought it was less then 10 miles away and the Kia was an automatic.....so just went for it.  She’s in excellent condition.  Will keep it for a year and then sell it and get my Prius.  Insurance wasn’t too bad...went for all the extras on the policy and it came out to just under £850 for the year....it’s with Admiral Insurance....taking the bus 5 days a week would cost me minimum £30 a week, or £120 a month...so 850 for a year seemed reasonable...and I can travel on my own schedule and not the buses ...

I arrived in Scotland February 11 planning on hitting the ground running ....but that didn’t happen...lol.  Three days after I got here I moved in with my uncle for 2 weeks to help him out while 2 of his daughters were away on vacation and have been here ever since.... [smiley=laugh4.gif] [smiley=laugh4.gif]. He was very ill in December and January and the first 3 weeks I was here he never got out of bed.  He’s 87....he’s better now and quite enjoying me waiting on him....but with what’s going on with the corona virus , I’ve stayed to help him.

Bought a 2 bedroom flat just before I moved here.....finally in March started to work on it....pulled up all the carpet in the place and talked to a decorator for painting and two days later we went into lockdown and haven’t been able to do anything since.   Am having laminate flooring put through it all and the place needs painted throughout.....and the lockdown would have been the perfect time for someone to work on it but couldn’t get the materials for the work.

Was supposed to start work April 1 at a local hotel but that’s on hold now until they get busy again....

Been going nuts some days with boredom...only last couple of weeks I’ve taken bus to my place twice to do some work scrubbing kitchen cupboards and putting tack paper on shelves.  Was avoiding buses because I don’t want my uncle to get sick.  I’m the only one allowed in the house.  Would have loved to paint my fence and shed but couldn’t find the right colour paint to do it.  All my cousins have manual cars which I can’t drive so wasn’t able to get to my place...and they are still working.  Now with my own car, I can go back and forth and bring supplies and do what I can.....it will keep me busy...and SANE.....

Wanted to cry with my delay in opening a bank account....had no problem opening it when I finally went in to do it....but the cheques I deposited took so long to clear I missed the exchange rate when it was 1.15..... [smiley=bigcry.gif]
[smiley=bigcry.gif]....I got it at 1.24 which is still good, but  [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] [smiley=bigcry.gif] I really wanted that 1.15....that cost me a chunk of change...

The movers packed my stuff up December 27 in Hawaii....it arrived in port in the UK March 31....where it’s still sitting because of the lockdown it can’t be delivered.  I was expecting it to take 5-6 months....not 3.  Just as well since my place isn’t ready...but I have a shed I can store it in....hopefully they’re storage charge won’t be outrageous if they charge me one.... :o

Also, I don’t have private parking for my flat....but I’m the end of a block of units on a cul de sac and need to see if I can rent the overgrown grass spot on the other side of my fence from the counsel to park my car and see if I can have a charging station put in outside my door and run the lead over my fence for charging... I really want the Prius hybrid but it will depend if I can get the parking and if they’ll install a charger with a long enough lead for me to run it through the fence....

So all in all...it’s been a very strange homecoming.....but I still made the right decision....I love being near my family.....and hopefully I can get my place going so I can move in one day.... I love my uncle to the moon and back....but some days I think....man, I miss being single....I’ve cooked more in the last 2 months then in the last 5 years....and I’ve spoiled him with all I do for him that he expects me to do it all now.  With my being able to spend the days working on my own place....I can slowly start to wean him of my doing everything and he can start doing more for himself....

• Liked: 957
« Reply #1375 on: May 06, 2020, 10:50:16 PM »
Wow, I'm glad you've been able to be there for your uncle! Enjoy the new car!

If they do charge for storage during a lockdown where you were available for delivery but they were not delivering, I would definitely fight it. But its good news your things will be available when lockdown is over! Some home improvement type stores are starting to open back up so I hope you're able to finish the flat soon.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #1376 on: May 07, 2020, 10:46:35 AM »
Congrats on the car!  I haven't driven my car anywhere but the grocery store in weeks and I am going crazy.  We've got a neighbour who is running some kind of courier company and I fantasise about working for him and going on a long drive. 

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #1377 on: May 07, 2020, 10:48:53 AM »
Congrats on the car!  I haven't driven my car anywhere but the grocery store in weeks and I am going crazy.  We've got a neighbour who is running some kind of courier company and I fantasise about working for him and going on a long drive.
Could be your side hussle?

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Liked: 14
« Reply #1378 on: May 13, 2020, 06:35:16 PM »

« Reply #1379 on: May 14, 2020, 11:59:12 AM »
World domination!  I think I'd prefer the world ruled by Chompsky.

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab