Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.  (Read 18950 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: One Year in the UK and Can't Wait to Leave.
« Reply #45 on: October 31, 2018, 03:24:21 PM »
Speaking of inefficiency, I went to a concert last night at the Camden roundhouse.  Guess how many doors they have to let people exit through after the show? ONE!!!  For thousands of people!  And there's a short Hall, then some stairs, so people can't even walk out the door because there's a giant crowd slowly walking down the stairs. I swear it must have taken me 45 minutes of slow shuffling  to get downstairs to the exit.  And these concerts happen every night! 

I don't know why the British think they can design anything.

• Liked: 676
« Reply #46 on: October 31, 2018, 03:24:29 PM »
Found a list which appears to have lots of smaller shelters in your neck of the woods, along with the big hitters.

https://www.catchat.org/index.php/cat-rescue-centres-strathclyde-scotland

KITTIES!

« Reply #47 on: October 31, 2018, 03:27:06 PM »
Daughter is wanting a dog. A small one. Older. Something bigger than a ratdog, smaller than a German Shepard. (I'm torn. I would like both a kitty and a dog, actually, but I'm not going that route.)  Know of a dog shelter that doesn't insist we have a yard with a six-foot fence? (Since it's technically my house, it'd have to be a really special dog to beat out getting a cat.)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 03:56:33 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #48 on: October 31, 2018, 03:30:49 PM »
Speaking of inefficiency, I went to a concert last night at the Camden roundhouse.  Guess how many doors they have to let people exit through after the show? ONE!!!  For thousands of people!  And there's a short Hall, then some stairs, so people can't even walk out the door because there's a giant crowd slowly walking down the stairs. I swear it must have taken me 45 minutes of slow shuffling  to get downstairs to the exit.  And these concerts happen every night! 

I saw Ricky Gervais last night for £15.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #49 on: October 31, 2018, 03:36:45 PM »

Roundhouse is a great venue......until you have to exit it.. :D Given the shape of the place, they certainly could've made the exits they open at the end of the night more user friendly.
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #50 on: October 31, 2018, 03:38:02 PM »

Wow, where was "Health & Safety" during all this?

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #51 on: October 31, 2018, 03:39:25 PM »
Wow, where was "Health & Safety" during all this?

They have fire/emergency exits...but for some reason at the end of the night, they only let you out one way and it's SUPER annoying (and it feels like you're always surrounded by the pushiest and rudest human beings on the planet in those moments that feel like an eternity)
My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #52 on: October 31, 2018, 03:43:20 PM »
Probably too cheap to staff more than one door. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2018, 03:55:41 PM »
Hope there's never a stampede, or people are going to get hurt. :(

• Liked: 1892
« Reply #54 on: October 31, 2018, 06:53:01 PM »
Hope there's never a stampede, or people are going to get hurt. :(

I was thinking the same thing.  It wouldn't even take much of a stampede, just a little pressure from the back when you are on the stairs and it's game over.  It was already dodgy enough with all the empty plastic cups on the stairs and the fact that you couldn't look down in front of you because of too many people.

• Liked: 424
« Reply #55 on: October 31, 2018, 09:25:20 PM »
Not all shelters have this policy. I managed to find two near me which are more than happy to home indoor cats. They are both small, independent places so can make their own decisions rather than having to follow the company line as is the case with some of the bigger shelters.
Keep looking!  :)
George is indoor only. Got him at the SPCA, they insisted outdoor sometimes...I said sure! NOT! I wouldn’t just turn a dog out, so why would I put the cat out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2018, 09:25:44 AM »
George is indoor only. Got him at the SPCA, they insisted outdoor sometimes...I said sure! NOT! I wouldn’t just turn a dog out, so why would I put the cat out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey, my old cat (before the little black geriatric special cat) was named George! A big orange tuxedo tabby. Wonderful cat - played fetch. Got him from a shelter. He wasn't quite right in the head. Acted like a dog half the time. He was very protective of the Daughter when she was young. The cat would chase other cats and dogs out of the yard, and would get between the daughter and strangers and let them know he was on guard. More than once I had to go get him off the porch so the mailman could deliver the mail. Great cat, and when the Daughter was at school or away he was basically a surferdude kind of cat. Reeeeally mellow. ;D

I really do miss George, and the other cats, a lot. When the Daughter is out all day the house gets kind of lonely. But I'm still hesitant to bring a furball (of whatever persuasion) into the family in case Brexit goes badly. Maybe we'll know by the spring if we can get one.

• Liked: 3
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2018, 04:32:02 AM »
I could do a similar rant about the USA but I won't and I've lived here for 31 years.
I was really looking forward to retiring in Washington State but after a trip to the UK in  September we both decided we would be happier in the UK. It's where my family and friends are and we're both excited to move . Funny thing is I wasn't that interested in going to the UK on this last trip but for us there's a lot more likes than dislikes .

• Liked: 533
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2018, 06:35:29 AM »
One out of two Americans voted for Trump.

Any twangs of homesickness, I think this to myself.
I just hope that more people will ignore the fatalism of the argument that we are beyond repair. We are not beyond repair. We are never beyond repair. - AOC

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #59 on: November 02, 2018, 08:48:36 AM »
One out of two Americans voted for Trump.

Any twangs of homesickness, I think this to myself.

But then one out of two Brits voted Brexit.  Both countries are big ole disappointments right now. 

Sponsored Links