Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Stimulus money?  (Read 9798 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 839
Re: Stimulus money?
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2020, 02:15:17 PM »
I'm still getting the generic statement about not having enough information yet on the website. Sigh.

I see now too they're sending out prepaid debit cards. That seems directly inclined to make you spend the money, rather than put into a bank account. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 957
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
I'm still getting the generic statement about not having enough information yet on the website. Sigh.

I see now too they're sending out prepaid debit cards. That seems directly inclined to make you spend the money, rather than put into a bank account.
A lot of the stragglers that haven't already received it may not have bank accounts. You don't realise it, but there are a scary number of people without access to banking. :(

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2020, 03:44:33 PM »
Good point margo
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 2
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2020, 04:38:14 PM »
thanks @jfkimberly - i just had a hard time believing that since i don't pay taxes in the U.S. (even though i always file them), that they would still freely give me the stimulus money and expect nothing back.

Me, too - this is unheard of! I received the money today and it was such a surprise - I didn't think there was any chance we'd get it as overseas Americans (since filing U.S. taxes but claiming UK tax credits = $0 due every year). I'm especially confused that I've also received the $500 for my child, when I've never previously been eligible to receive anything for him, even though I file as Head of Household (my husband is NRA). I'm thrilled to have this extra money - it's a big help during this uncertain time, but what a shock they considered us for once...someone must have remembered it's an election year.

• Liked: 6
« Reply #94 on: May 27, 2020, 11:12:24 AM »
I now know why I haven't gotten my check. I just got my letter and the postal code is wrong. The first two letters are correct, but the rest of the numbers and letters are completely wrong. So, my check could have accidently been delivered to the wrong address, or it could be sitting in a post office somewhere, been sent back to the US and who knows how long it will be before I can talk to someone at the IRS and how long it might take if they have to send me a new check or just has gotten lost in the postal system going back and forth.
My luck I would get the letter but not the check. No idea how they got the wrong postal code, like I said other then the first two letters, it's not even close to the rest of the numbers and letters. And I have double checked the copies of my completed tax forms for the past 2 years and it's correct. And my information came up on the IRS site when I entered in my correct postal code. Frustrating to say the least.
Just did a quick look up on the IRS get my payment site without putting in my postal code and the scheduled payment date still came up, so probably don't need to add our postal code.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2020, 11:15:02 AM by oden »

• Liked: 63
« Reply #95 on: May 27, 2020, 01:16:58 PM »

Me, too - this is unheard of! I received the money today and it was such a surprise - I didn't think there was any chance we'd get it as overseas Americans (since filing U.S. taxes but claiming UK tax credits = $0 due every year). I'm especially confused that I've also received the $500 for my child, when I've never previously been eligible to receive anything for him, even though I file as Head of Household (my husband is NRA). I'm thrilled to have this extra money - it's a big help during this uncertain time, but what a shock they considered us for once...someone must have remembered it's an election year.

I was scrolling through this topic and noted that you are filing as "head of household". While it's none of my business, are you sure that you qualify to file under that status, rather than MFS, but claiming your child as a dependent?

This webpage has the criteria in everyday terms, rather than the typical bureaucratic gibberish: https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tips/family/guide-to-filing-taxes-as-head-of-household/L4Nx6DYu9

Married December 1992 (my 'old flame' whom I first met in the mid-70s)
1st move to UK - 1993 (Letter of Consent granted at British Embassy in Washington DC)
ILR - 1994 (1 year later - no fee way back then!)
Back to US in 2000
Returned to UK July 2011 (Spousal Visa/KOL endorsement)
ILR - September 2011
Application for naturalization submitted July 2014
Approval received 15-10-14; ceremony scheduled for 10 November!
Passport arrived 25 November 2014. Finally done!

• Liked: 78
« Reply #96 on: May 27, 2020, 04:00:22 PM »
I thought I would just add my details in here and see if anyone else is dealing with some similar!

According to the IRS website, my check/letter was mailed out May 1st - but still nothing! We're not getting mail as regularly as we normally do, but it's still pretty decent service. I'm starting to worry that it's been lost or sent to the wrong address.

Anyone else have the same?
California, USA

Relationship started: October 2014
Engaged: September 2016
Married: December 23, 2016
Priority visa application: March 31, 2017
Biometrics: April 13, 2017
Document confirmation: April 18, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017
Outcome: Approved!

• Liked: 0
« Reply #97 on: May 27, 2020, 04:09:27 PM »
I thought I would just add my details in here and see if anyone else is dealing with some similar!

According to the IRS website, my check/letter was mailed out May 1st - but still nothing! We're not getting mail as regularly as we normally do, but it's still pretty decent service. I'm starting to worry that it's been lost or sent to the wrong address.

Anyone else have the same?

I am still waiting on mine dated from 24th April, but I did receive the notification letter last week. Our post is rather spotty (every two weeks or so) and I know that there are other items of post we are waiting on too so I am still thinking this could have to do with sorting and the availability of postal staff.

« Reply #98 on: June 01, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
It's now been a month since my check was scheduled to go out and a week since I got the letter and still no check. I even asked someone who enters to place I work once a week to check the post to see if it may have been sent there by mistake. The IRS used my street address and town, but then used the post code for my place of work. However, it hasn't been sent there. I tried calling the 800 number that is listed on the letter, which is supposed to give you the option of speaking to a person after hearing the entire message, but am never given the option to speak to an actual person. I think my check has been lost in the mail and I have little hopes of ever getting that money. At best, maybe in 3 months or so I may be able to get a checked reissued to me, but I have yet to see anyone say that the IRS will reissue a check if it's gotten lost in the mail. Of course, who know how long it will be to we can speak to an actual person who may be able to answer questions. Hope the other people who have been have gotten their checks by now. And once again, got another piece of mail from the US, so am getting mail from the US without any major delays.

• Liked: 0
« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2020, 12:56:26 PM »
My check finally arrived today and was dated 24th April so there is still hope!

« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2020, 11:07:27 AM »
That's good to hear. My worry, along with having been a month now, is that they have my wrong postal code listed. Plus I haven't been having any issues with getting regular mail. Just got a piece of mail today that was sent from the US on the 26th of May. However, you're the first person I know of that got your check after getting a letter. Still think it's gone missing or has been sent back, but hopefully I'll still be getting it soon.Thanks.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 01:00:39 PM by oden »

• Liked: 78
« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2020, 02:36:46 PM »
I'm worrying too. I have a bit of a weird situation - as soon as they announced payments, I mailed the IRS a change of address form because I knew they wouldn't deposit it for me. I was locked out of Get My Payment for so long and now I can get through on my current address. Thing is, if they sent it to my old address, I just don't think I would ever get it. Our neighbors (who we shared a mailbox with) are horrible and the landlord is negligent at best. I know if it went there - I wouldn't get it.

IRS said my payment went out on May 1st, so I'm still holding out on some hope if people who had theirs mailed in April are just now getting them. I haven't even gotten the letter :(
California, USA

Relationship started: October 2014
Engaged: September 2016
Married: December 23, 2016
Priority visa application: March 31, 2017
Biometrics: April 13, 2017
Document confirmation: April 18, 2017
Decision email: June 2, 2017
Outcome: Approved!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #102 on: June 05, 2020, 09:57:04 AM »
Hi everyone,

I came on to see if there had been a thread started and I'm glad I did! I received my letter yesterday to say I have been given £1700- don't know why some people on here are getting more or less? however was concerned because we moved house from last year and it has been sent to our old address which we did a forwarding address to so all of the post people still forward over. My letter is dated May 8th so nearly a month so hopefully the check will arrive soon. @hayleeonfire sorry to hear about your situation, can you provide a forwarding mail on Royal Mail website?
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2020, 09:59:49 AM »
Do you have kids Mrs Roberts? You get $500 for each dependent , plus $1200

You'll get less based on income

Meanwhile, the website still tells me jackshit about my payment
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 8
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2020, 04:28:22 PM »
Thanks @phatbeetle I have a child which makes sense now. I've tried to get on the website but nothing as well. Very frustrating. I'll keep you posted if I get anywhere
Apr 2010 First visit to the UK
Oct 2010 We were married
May 05 2014 Received 1st FLR (M)
May 27, 2014 Landed in the UK
July 25,2014 Started Working
January 2nd FLR M
November 28, 2019 ILR

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab