Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 37562 times)

• Liked: 969
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #315 on: April 14, 2023, 11:59:57 PM »
The same today (sans traffic). Should be 20 degrees cooler tomorrow, then in the 50s-60s next week.

Of course, when we fired up the A/C last night.... nada. it was broken. Thankfully the repair guy was here first thing this morning, but really?

There are times when I REALLY miss Scotland. And having to put a light jacket on in the middle of the day in the summertime.  The weather there just suited us sooooo well.

~sigh~
Sadly NY really has huge swings like this. You may still see snow before the end of the month/first two weeks of May. I'm sat in my cosy fleece dressing gown because there is no insulation in our house and it just always freezing. But when it heats up because they insulated the loft so well it turns into a sauna.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 686
« Reply #316 on: April 15, 2023, 05:33:02 PM »
Sadly NY really has huge swings like this. You may still see snow before the end of the month/first two weeks of May. I'm sat in my cosy fleece dressing gown because there is no insulation in our house and it just always freezing. But when it heats up because they insulated the loft so well it turns into a sauna.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Yeah, we've noticed.  ;)  The official "last frost" date is May 15.

Yikes on the insulation! Any chance you can get a small portable air conditioner and set it in a window?

I'm still putting plants out in the garden today, but only in spots where I can throw a cover over them. I have a blackberry and a raspberry plant that came as bare-root, but they've leafed out so they need to get planted ASAP.  Same with the rosebush. ;)   And I absolutely have to get the poppy seeds in before it's too late for them.

I scraped most of the wood-chip mulch off the garlic last Monday,  but it can handle both heat and down to 20F with no probs.  I also dug trenches and buried chicken-wire fencing (or the bottom of it), several inches below soil surface for 70 linear feet. Need to get back over and do the final 30 feet and build the gate. (Amazing what you can do with bamboo plant stakes and chickenwire!). After that point it'll be a ~little~ more secure from the things that have been forcing their way under it to eat the plants.  Ideally I'd have put in 1/4 inch mesh fencing, but the price for it has gone through the roof. So I'll have to deal with the smaller vermin (field mice, small voles) - although this may deter larger critters.  I had planned to go this morning when it was cool, but it's been a long week at work and I was tired and slept late, then had some household chores. The sun is now too bright (aka sunburn time) and it's got a "real feel" temp of 86F, so I'm waiting until closer to dusk. If I just get the bushes planted, it'll be enough. But finishing at least the trench would be better. Will have to see how I hold up - I am ~not~ used to digging ditches!  ;D  Tomorrow will be in the 60Fs and great for planting and grilling - we have a nice heap of chicken asada ready to throw on the grill.

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #317 on: April 21, 2023, 09:48:58 AM »
Another absolutely gorgeous spring day. I love this time of year!  :)

« Reply #318 on: April 21, 2023, 04:04:31 PM »
It was down in the 30Fs here on Wednesday and now due to be 80F today.

First day of new retirement - went for a walk with the daughter up to the Dunkin for a coffee and donut. The weather was lovely, and very much reminded me of Scotland. I could clearly remember the many times we'd go out walking of a morning, down Great Western Avenue towards the shops. Which got me to thinking. The Daughter is off to the West Coast in a few weeks for a year-long contract job.  There's nothing stopping me returning to Scotland for a few months, at least. Maybe longer.... 8)  I really do miss being there.

Hope your spring weather holds up!
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 04:07:16 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #319 on: April 21, 2023, 04:21:18 PM »
It was down in the 30Fs here on Wednesday and now due to be 80F today.

First day of new retirement - went for a walk with the daughter up to the Dunkin for a coffee and donut. The weather was lovely, and very much reminded me of Scotland. I could clearly remember the many times we'd go out walking of a morning, down Great Western Avenue towards the shops. Which got me to thinking. The Daughter is off to the West Coast in a few weeks for a year-long contract job.  There's nothing stopping me returning to Scotland for a few months, at least. Maybe longer.... 8)  I really do miss being there.

Hope your spring weather holds up!

You should do it!  :)

« Reply #320 on: April 21, 2023, 04:27:44 PM »
Yeah, I'm just not sure if it would be the same without the Daughter there.  But I'll miss here while I'm here, too.  I could have a nice vacation, at least. My Irish passport is still good, with many years left on it.  See all the sights I didn't get to - play tourist. Go back to our old haunts... and hope it didn't make me feel too sad.  Maybe spend some time down in the borders, or out on one of the islands. Or in places I didn't get to before.

Seriously, if I won the lottery I'd still be buying a house out in Argyll in a heartbeat, even if I didn't live there full-time.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 04:29:52 PM by Nan D. »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #321 on: April 22, 2023, 07:48:10 PM »
We've had stunning weather all week - bright blue skies and temps like 17-21C and it's been glorious. Now....the temperature is dropping and snow is forecast and heading to -3C overnights in the next few days. Happy Spring!!!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #322 on: April 24, 2023, 03:47:54 PM »
We've had stunning weather all week - bright blue skies and temps like 17-21C and it's been glorious. Now....the temperature is dropping and snow is forecast and heading to -3C overnights in the next few days. Happy Spring!!!

Yikes!

We had nearly freezing again one day last week, and then a beautiful Saturday, and now it's drizzly. And supposedly so on and off all week. They got some snow in the higher elevations NW of us.

« Reply #323 on: April 24, 2023, 04:45:20 PM »
There's supposed to be a low of 0C tonight, then 2C tomorrow night and 3C the next night.
I'm hopeful that this will be the end of the cold nights here for this season... but you never know!   ;D

« Reply #324 on: April 24, 2023, 06:54:08 PM »
The weather has gone nuts.  In Central California,  land where they raise a good amount of the tomatoes, etc., for the rest of the country, 200 miles of prime farmland is going underwater and will be probably that way for the next few years. The winter snows haven't really even started melting yet, and it's like that. Since water seeks out the lowest spot, it looks like Tulare Lake is back!  (In all fairness, it was a lake before they sucked all the water away, 100 years ago. Nature's just taking back what is hers.) We have a good idea why, of course. For another thread....

« Last Edit: April 25, 2023, 10:51:46 PM by Nan D. »

« Reply #325 on: June 01, 2023, 09:08:16 AM »
We have June gloom, in the UK!  ;D

• Liked: 427
« Reply #326 on: June 01, 2023, 05:40:12 PM »
It was only 26 here today…..oh well I guess I’ll suffer

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #327 on: June 15, 2023, 01:35:59 PM »
Been so hot and sunny and beautiful for weeks now! Even had some really good thunderstorms at the weekend/Monday/Tuesday. Proper summer!
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #328 on: June 15, 2023, 05:40:02 PM »
Been so hot and sunny and beautiful for weeks now! Even had some really good thunderstorms at the weekend/Monday/Tuesday. Proper summer!

Love it!  :) We've missed all the thunder so far, hopefully get some soon!  :)

• Liked: 427
« Reply #329 on: June 15, 2023, 06:55:17 PM »
It is like a real summer! A bit hot when you spend hours out in the sun though! We’ve had a little thunder and a shower or two late. Of course lightning striking the cairn on the top of Ben Nevis was interesting, a nice little fire burning for days nearby from that storm

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab