Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: How's the weather?  (Read 37550 times)

• Liked: 969
Re: How's the weather?
« Reply #345 on: October 22, 2023, 12:25:52 PM »
We had sun this afternoon after 3 days of storm. It's so quiet now!
Glad it's peaceful now!

And happy you made it to Liverpool safely ksand, so many people ended up stranded on trains in the Midlands. I saw many disabled people on twitter dropped at inaccessible stations ending up trapped.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

• Liked: 686
« Reply #346 on: October 28, 2023, 04:17:57 PM »
We have had freakishly warm (it hit 80F) in the last few days. Today is supposed to be the last of it. Rain starts tomorrow, and it will freeze overnight every day next week. (And probably pretty much so thereafter.)  Glad I got my garlic planted, and got the mulch put on while the sun was shining this week! Nothing left to do over there at the garden now but tidy - cart away old dead stuff, bring my terracotta pots in for the season, etc.  Planted a ton of Glory of the Snow and Muscari bulbs yesterday, as well as some Wood Hyacinths and two Prairie Moon Peonies. (I do hope they survive and bloom next spring!) Trying to figure out what to do with all the blooming petunias on my balcony, though. They have erupted in a riot of flowers, and I hate to see them go, but I guess it's their time. I'll check to see if they've made seeds and save some. The Snapdragons did, happily.

So you probably already know this, but in case not. Was checking things weather-ish today and came across this. Posting it here in case it is of use to you in making your plans for the week. (See attachment.)

« Reply #347 on: October 28, 2023, 04:29:30 PM »
We have had freakishly warm (it hit 80F) in the last few days. Today is supposed to be the last of it. Rain starts tomorrow, and it will freeze overnight every day next week. (And probably pretty much so thereafter.)  Glad I got my garlic planted, and got the mulch put on while the sun was shining this week! Nothing left to do over there at the garden now but tidy - cart away old dead stuff, bring my terracotta pots in for the season, etc.  Planted a ton of Glory of the Snow and Muscari bulbs yesterday, as well as some Wood Hyacinths and two Prairie Moon Peonies. (I do hope they survive and bloom next spring!) Trying to figure out what to do with all the blooming petunias on my balcony, though. They have erupted in a riot of flowers, and I hate to see them go, but I guess it's their time. I'll check to see if they've made seeds and save some. The Snapdragons did, happily.

So you probably already know this, but in case not. Was checking things weather-ish today and came across this. Posting it here in case it is of use to you in making your plans for the week. (See attachment.)
Oh joy, that'll be another migraine day. They've been out of control the last few months and weather is definitely a trigger.

Glad you got the garden planted for the winter! And it's standard NY Halloween weather with ice and potential .

« Reply #348 on: October 28, 2023, 10:17:19 PM »
Sorry to hear that. No medications that work?

At least my migraines are visual only. I used to get the classic ones, but since the birth of my daughter it's just been the auras alone. No clue why the change, nor can the docs explain it. But I went out to the grocery store a bit ago to get a few last things for the weekend and on the way home got hit with a doozy of an aura. Technicolor zig-zags starting at the bottom of my field of vision to eventually all the way 'round. Thankfully I made it home ok, got the car parked in the car barn,  the groceries carried in, and was able to lay down for an hour to let it pass. I hate those, but they are way better than the old variety, for sure.  ::)

My guess is that the pressure is dropping with the cold front moving in. It's still NW of us, but it's gotten noticeably breezier here and the leaves are falling like snowflakes. Pretty, but sad as the trees will be bare soon. I assume it's the pressure, as it's not too bright out today and I wear transitions glasses that adjust for the brightness. Aside from having had a larger than normal cup of coffee earlier in the day, I don't think I've stumbled over any of the usual triggers. And the coffee should have kicked it off within 20 minutes, not hours later so...? Eh, who knows?

The weather wonks can't make their minds up if we're going to have a warmer and snowier winter than usual, or a colder and less snowy winter. Or what. I only put about 3 inches of wood chips on the garlic. I think in the next week or two I'll go get another couple of bales of it at Tractor Supply and double it up. Better too much than not enough, when we're talking potentially sub-zero temps! And it's cheap enough. When it's done its duty as mulch on the beds it's raked off and becomes mulch on the pathways, and eventually decomposes and enriches the soil. (I vote for warmer and snowier, myself. Since I don't have to drive to work anymore, it can snow just as much as it'd like and I'm fine with it. Rather than than wake up to the weather guy saying the wind chill is -41F again!!!!)

« Reply #349 on: November 05, 2023, 02:44:39 PM »
You folks ok after that storm?  The images they were showing on the news all week showed not very nice outcomes for a lot of the UK.

« Reply #350 on: November 05, 2023, 04:56:06 PM »
You folks ok after that storm?  The images they were showing on the news all week showed not very nice outcomes for a lot of the UK.
Just a lot of migraines for me where we live, but it was definitely a lot harsher in places prone to flooding.

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #351 on: November 05, 2023, 08:21:55 PM »

The south got it really badly. The poor people of Jersey especially. So much damage to roofs, just awful.  :\\\'(

« Reply #352 on: November 05, 2023, 10:29:56 PM »
Yeah, it looked like a hurricane's damage. Sorry to hear those folks have so much property loss, but glad there weren't more injuries. Looks like it's given Europe a walloping as well.  Fingers crossed you all get a break from storms at least long enough for people to get repaired.

« Reply #353 on: November 08, 2023, 11:58:35 AM »
Yeah, it looked like a hurricane's damage. Sorry to hear those folks have so much property loss, but glad there weren't more injuries. Looks like it's given Europe a walloping as well.  Fingers crossed you all get a break from storms at least long enough for people to get repaired.
It was apparently a big Tornado

Strongest tornado in the UK since 1954
https://www.weatherandradar.co.uk/weather-news/amidst-storm-ciaran-strongest-tornado-in-the-uk-since-1954--b0675c74-6bac-4780-aa28-d342579663a3

« Reply #354 on: November 21, 2023, 12:20:51 AM »
Sorry, the notice for your reply went to spam for some reason. Yikes!
« Last Edit: November 21, 2023, 01:33:22 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 347
« Reply #355 on: November 21, 2023, 11:26:55 PM »
It was apparently a big Tornado

Strongest tornado in the UK since 1954
https://www.weatherandradar.co.uk/weather-news/amidst-storm-ciaran-strongest-tornado-in-the-uk-since-1954--b0675c74-6bac-4780-aa28-d342579663a3

From that link-
"On the night of the 1st, a severe thunderstorm developed, which reportedly produced a strong tornado on the eastern part of the island of Jersey."

Jersey isn't in the UK.  ???

« Reply #356 on: November 21, 2023, 11:40:10 PM »
From that link-
"On the night of the 1st, a severe thunderstorm developed, which reportedly produced a strong tornado on the eastern part of the island of Jersey."

Jersey isn't in the UK.  ???
I was quoting their headline - but yes, Jersey is a crown dependency.

• Liked: 347
« Reply #357 on: November 22, 2023, 02:02:56 PM »
I was quoting their headline - but yes, Jersey is a crown dependency.

Sorry, I should have made it clearer how it was the author who seemed to think Jersey was in the UK with the title they chose. Jersey is situated closer to France than Britain.

Jersey is self-governing, but they rely on Britian to defend them. As we saw the other year when French fisherman thought they would block Jersey as they wanted to fish in Jersey's waters but the British navy sent two ships.

They are also are in the UK's CTA (Common Travel Area) and are one of the countries that have a (limited) health agreement with the UK for visitors.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2023, 02:13:53 PM by Sirius »

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 848
« Reply #358 on: November 30, 2023, 09:33:21 AM »
Snowing
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 6115
« Reply #359 on: November 30, 2023, 04:54:36 PM »
Snowing

Brrr! It's certainly cold enough here but no snow.  :)

Sponsored Links