Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Preparing for ILR SET (M) application - things have changed?  (Read 13721 times)

• Liked: 8
Preparing for ILR SET (M) application - things have changed?
« on: March 14, 2021, 03:59:51 PM »
Hey all!

Back again with my husband (partner applicant) to the ILR visa and things look different since the FLR (M) application ( https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=92706.msg1262809#msg1262809 ). It is all online now? I don't see any paper applications that I can download.

I'm guessing the checklist of required documents is the same as the FLR?  Tried looking through a few posts on here but I couldn't find a definitive list and all the new stuff on the .gov website has thrown us off.

• Liked: 3595
Re: Preparing for ILR SET (M) application - things have changed?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 04:19:01 PM »
Welcome back :).

Back again with my husband (partner applicant) to the ILR visa and things look different since the FLR (M) application ( https://talk.uk-yankee.com/index.php?topic=92706.msg1262809#msg1262809 ). It is all online now? I don't see any paper applications that I can download.

Yes, everything is online now. Also, nothing is mailed anywhere - you upload all your documents to the UKVCAS website, including your passport and BRP, and you can keep them both while the visa is processing. They just send you a new BRP when it has been approved.

You no longer give biometrics at a Post Office either. Instead you book and attend an appointment at a UKVCAS centre. You may have to pay for an appointment, and you can also add services like document checking and scanning if you want.

Before Covid, when you applied online there was an option to purchase Super Priority service for £800 which would give a decision within 24 hours of biometrics. However, this service was suspended in March 2020 when lockdown started, and it has not yet been reinstated.

The general procedure is:
- prepare all your documents
- fill out the online application
- submit the application and pay for the visa
- you will receive an email code to register on the UKVCAS website
- register with UKVCAS and book a biometrics appointment (you may need to wait a few weeks to get one due to Covid delays)
- upload your documents before your appointment
- attend the appointment and then wait for the visa to be issued

I'm guessing the checklist of required documents is the same as the FLR?  Tried looking through a few posts on here but I couldn't find a definitive list and all the new stuff on the .gov website has thrown us off.

Pretty much the same, though you will need to make sure you have passed the Life in the UK test before you apply.

You still need the same financial documents and pretty much the same accommodation documents (though your latest council tax bill is also needed now).

For the cohabitation documents, this time you need to cover the whole 2.5 years with your correspondence, so you will need 1 document in each name spaced every 5 months.

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 09:03:27 PM »
Welcome back :).

Yes, everything is online now. Also, nothing is mailed anywhere - you upload all your documents to the UKVCAS website, including your passport and BRP, and you can keep them both while the visa is processing. They just send you a new BRP when it has been approved.

You no longer give biometrics at a Post Office either. Instead you book and attend an appointment at a UKVCAS centre. You may have to pay for an appointment, and you can also add services like document checking and scanning if you want.

Before Covid, when you applied online there was an option to purchase Super Priority service for £800 which would give a decision within 24 hours of biometrics. However, this service was suspended in March 2020 when lockdown started, and it has not yet been reinstated.

The general procedure is:
- prepare all your documents
- fill out the online application
- submit the application and pay for the visa
- you will receive an email code to register on the UKVCAS website
- register with UKVCAS and book a biometrics appointment (you may need to wait a few weeks to get one due to Covid delays)
- upload your documents before your appointment
- attend the appointment and then wait for the visa to be issued

Pretty much the same, though you will need to make sure you have passed the Life in the UK test before you apply.

You still need the same financial documents and pretty much the same accommodation documents (though your latest council tax bill is also needed now).

For the cohabitation documents, this time you need to cover the whole 2.5 years with your correspondence, so you will need 1 document in each name spaced every 5 months.
Thank you ksand24 as always you are a rockstar .

I will most likely be checking back in for advice because of my dyslexia but thank you for pointing me in the right direction!

I was shocked when I saw all these new changes. Has the life in the uk test always been for ILR? I thought it was part of the British Citizenship application.

What happens at the appointment we attend?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 09:14:56 PM »
I was shocked when I saw all these new changes. Has the life in the uk test always been for ILR? I thought it was part of the British Citizenship application.

The Life in the UK test has been a requirement for ILR for 14 years now. It was introduced for UK citizenship applications on 1st November 2005, and it has also been a requirement for ILR applications since 2nd April 2007.

So, you need it for both ILR and UK citizenship, but you only need to take the test once as the pass reference number never expires.

What happens at the appointment we attend?

You have your fingerprints and photo taken... same as the biometrics appointment for your previous visa applications. It's just done at a designated UK visa centre now instead of at a local Post Office.

If you decide to pay extra for the document checking and scanning services, then you also hand over your documents so they can scan them for you (it's a good idea to take your documents with you anyway, even if you have already uploaded them at home, just in case something didn't scan/upload properly and they need to redo it).

You can have a look around the UKVCAS website and see what types of appointments/services are available here if you like:
https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/home-internal

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 11:01:04 AM »
The Life in the UK test has been a requirement for ILR for 14 years now. It was introduced for UK citizenship applications on 1st November 2005, and it has also been a requirement for ILR applications since 2nd April 2007.

So, you need it for both ILR and UK citizenship, but you only need to take the test once as the pass reference number never expires.

You have your fingerprints and photo taken... same as the biometrics appointment for your previous visa applications. It's just done at a designated UK visa centre now instead of at a local Post Office.

If you decide to pay extra for the document checking and scanning services, then you also hand over your documents so they can scan them for you (it's a good idea to take your documents with you anyway, even if you have already uploaded them at home, just in case something didn't scan/upload properly and they need to redo it).

You can have a look around the UKVCAS website and see what types of appointments/services are available here if you like:
https://www.ukvcas.co.uk/home-internal
Ah I see I didn't realise it was for both thank you!

I'll take a look through the website, I was watching some YouTube videos on people doing this new version and they were saying that some people might be allowed to do all through an app instead of visiting, hopefully ws get that!

Thanks again. I forgotten how much of a headache this all was.

Currently dealing with the TSO customer service because we can't get a payment to go through for the Life in the UK eLearning material. Their website just fails every single time. The test need to be passed before the application is submitted right?

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 11:39:56 AM »
I'll take a look through the website, I was watching some YouTube videos on people doing this new version and they were saying that some people might be allowed to do all through an app instead of visiting, hopefully ws get that!

Unfortunately, that information about the app is out of date now, as it is not an option for ILR applications anymore.

Since late September 2020, only Tier 4 student visa applicants have been allowed to use the app, and only then if they have received an invite to do so.

The IDV app was introduced in July/August 2020 to help with the backlog of applications due to Covid, however, when the UKVCAS centres reopened in September 2020, they stopped use of the app for all applications except Tier 4, so you will have to attend an in-person appointment.

This is a good thing though, because the app was a bit of a nightmare and seemed to cause delays to the processing time of several weeks... people who used the app in August/September didn't get their visas until January/February 2021, whereas people who attended in-person appointments in September were getting their visas before Christmas. There were a lot of people back in September who signed up to use the app, but then tried to attend in-person appointments instead.

Currently dealing with the TSO customer service because we can't get a payment to go through for the Life in the UK eLearning material. Their website just fails every single time. The test need to be passed before the application is submitted right?

Yes, it does - they can't approve the visa unless you have passed it already.

If you can't pass the test before applying, they will issue you with another FLR(M) instead of ILR, and then you'll have to apply for ILR again once you have passed it... which means it'll cost you an extra £2,593 in visa fees and IHS charges!

Having said that, there has been a little bit of leeway with the test due to Covid though, as some people have ended up having to submit their online application because their visa was expiring, and then they've had to pass the test before attending biometrics... though that's risky, because there's no guarantee that you'll definitely have passed it in time for your appointment, so you'll want to get it done before applying online if at all possible.

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 03:45:40 PM »
Unfortunately, that information about the app is out of date now, as it is not an option for ILR applications anymore.

Since late September 2020, only Tier 4 student visa applicants have been allowed to use the app, and only then if they have received an invite to do so.

The IDV app was introduced in July/August 2020 to help with the backlog of applications due to Covid, however, when the UKVCAS centres reopened in September 2020, they stopped use of the app for all applications except Tier 4, so you will have to attend an in-person appointment.

This is a good thing though, because the app was a bit of a nightmare and seemed to cause delays to the processing time of several weeks... people who used the app in August/September didn't get their visas until January/February 2021, whereas people who attended in-person appointments in September were getting their visas before Christmas. There were a lot of people back in September who signed up to use the app, but then tried to attend in-person appointments instead.

Yes, it does - they can't approve the visa unless you have passed it already.

If you can't pass the test before applying, they will issue you with another FLR(M) instead of ILR, and then you'll have to apply for ILR again once you have passed it... which means it'll cost you an extra £2,593 in visa fees and IHS charges!

Having said that, there has been a little bit of leeway with the test due to Covid though, as some people have ended up having to submit their online application because their visa was expiring, and then they've had to pass the test before attending biometrics... though that's risky, because there's no guarantee that you'll definitely have passed it in time for your appointment, so you'll want to get it done before applying online if at all possible.
Sounds like a blessing in disguise, thanks for that.

Definitely don't want another FLR M haha. We're going to try and get the test sorted before the application date.

He came to the UK 2nd May 2016, so I believe we need to send off the application on 2nd April 2021. Finger's crossed 2 weeks is enough to get the test sorted.

Managed to get the elearning material now by the way. For some reason TSO didn't work on Chrome browser but worked for me on the Microsoft Edge browser. They mentioned on the phone to try different browsers instead of retrying the payment again on the same browser.

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2021, 04:02:32 PM »
He came to the UK 2nd May 2016, so I believe we need to send off the application on 2nd April 2021. Finger's crossed 2 weeks is enough to get the test sorted.

Not quite.

If he arrived on 2nd May 2016, then the absolute EARLIEST date you can submit the online application is 4th April 2021 (28 days before 2nd May).

However, you don't have to submit it in April if you aren't ready yet. You have until the expiry date of his current BRP card to submit the online application.

I see from your previous posts that his current visa was approved in early December 2018, so it should be valid until early June 2021... therefore he has until June to pass the test and apply for ILR.

Personally, I would allow 1-2 months to prepare for and pass the test... and it sounds like there should be at about 2.5 months or so left on his current visa, so that should be enough time. If he fails, he has to wait at least 7 days before he can take it again.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 04:04:59 PM by ksand24 »

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2021, 05:34:14 PM »
Not quite.

If he arrived on 2nd May 2016, then the absolute EARLIEST date you can submit the online application is 4th April 2021 (28 days before 2nd May).

However, you don't have to submit it in April if you aren't ready yet. You have until the expiry date of his current BRP card to submit the online application.

I see from your previous posts that his current visa was approved in early December 2018, so it should be valid until early June 2021... therefore he has until June to pass the test and apply for ILR.

Personally, I would allow 1-2 months to prepare for and pass the test... and it sounds like there should be at about 2.5 months or so left on his current visa, so that should be enough time. If he fails, he has to wait at least 7 days before he can take it again.

Oh I see that's a lot stressful thank you! His BRP says 3rd July 2021 so that's even better :). 1-2 months would be ideal I know I would never pass that test as someone who was born here, the questions from the practice sites are so odd haha. We both have ADHD as well so trying to keep focus on these applications are a nightmare, especially answering questions under timed conditions. My only saving grace for me is having OCD too which kicks us both into getting everything together lol

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2021, 06:00:00 PM »
Oh I see that's a lot stressful thank you! His BRP says 3rd July 2021 so that's even better :).

Awesome - so you have plenty of time to prepare :).

You only have to submit the online application before the end of 3rd July, so that gives you just under 4 months.

1-2 months would be ideal I know I would never pass that test as someone who was born here, the questions from the practice sites are so odd haha. We both have ADHD as well so trying to keep focus on these applications are a nightmare, especially answering questions under timed conditions. My only saving grace for me is having OCD too which kicks us both into getting everything together lol

Same here - I'm UK born and raised, and I wouldn't be able to answer half of the questions in the test.

The important thing is to study the official book, because all the questions are taken directly from it, and to do as many practice tests as you can. It's mostly a case of memorising what's in the book rather than using your knowledge to try to work out the answers.

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2021, 11:21:51 AM »
Awesome - so you have plenty of time to prepare :).

You only have to submit the online application before the end of 3rd July, so that gives you just under 4 months.

Same here - I'm UK born and raised, and I wouldn't be able to answer half of the questions in the test.

The important thing is to study the official book, because all the questions are taken directly from it, and to do as many practice tests as you can. It's mostly a case of memorising what's in the book rather than using your knowledge to try to work out the answers.
That's brilliant thank you ksand24 :-).

Haha absolutely! He's been doing the practice questions and acing them easily because he already knows the answers from playing a game called Crusader Kings 3 .

Just organising all the required documents at the moment so far so good!

Question actually in terms of living arrangement documents.

When we did the FLR M we got the visa in December 2018 while living at my mom's address.
In February 2019 I got joint ownership and mortgage on my brother's house and moved into there (brother moved into my mom's house) and I paid the mortgage bills etc.

You mentioned that the proof of address needs to be every 5 months i think. Does that mean the first proof would be December 2018 showing my mom's address or would the first one be in April/May showing my current address?

Also as of 1st March 2021, my brother is now off the deed and mortgage. Do I only need to provide proof of ownership with my current deed/mortgage or do I need to show the old joint info with my brother too?

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2021, 11:48:22 AM »
When we did the FLR M we got the visa in December 2018 while living at my mom's address.
In February 2019 I got joint ownership and mortgage on my brother's house and moved into there (brother moved into my mom's house) and I paid the mortgage bills etc.

You mentioned that the proof of address needs to be every 5 months i think. Does that mean the first proof would be December 2018 showing my mom's address or would the first one be in April/May showing my current address?

They need to be spaced every 5 months covering the whole of the last 2.5 years, so you simply provide documents from whichever address you happened to be living at in each of those months.

So, you provide, for example:
December 2018 - evidence from your mum's address
May 2019 - evidence from your current address
October 2019  - evidence from your current address
March 2020  - evidence from your current address
August 2020  - evidence from your current address
January 2021  - evidence from your current address
June 2021  - evidence from your current address

Also, if you lived with your mum for part of the 2.5 years, she needs to write a letter confirming that you were living with her for that period of time. I think you may also need a letter from your brother confirming that he was joint owner of your house between February 2019 and March 2021, and confirming you lived there while he lived with your mum.

Also as of 1st March 2021, my brother is now off the deed and mortgage. Do I only need to provide proof of ownership with my current deed/mortgage or do I need to show the old joint info with my brother too?

For the accommodation requirement, you need:
Proof of homeownership
- Latest/Current Land Registry document showing only your name
Proof of monthly housing costs
- Latest mortgage statement showing your monthly repayment amounts
- Latest council tax bill showing your monthly payment amounts

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2021, 01:01:00 PM »
They need to be spaced every 5 months covering the whole of the last 2.5 years, so you simply provide documents from whichever address you happened to be living at in each of those months.

So, you provide, for example:
December 2018 - evidence from your mum's address
May 2019 - evidence from your current address
October 2019  - evidence from your current address
March 2020  - evidence from your current address
August 2020  - evidence from your current address
January 2021  - evidence from your current address
June 2021  - evidence from your current address

Also, if you lived with your mum for part of the 2.5 years, she needs to write a letter confirming that you were living with her for that period of time. I think you may also need a letter from your brother confirming that he was joint owner of your house between February 2019 and March 2021, and confirming you lived there while he lived with your mum.

For the accommodation requirement, you need:
Proof of homeownership
- Latest/Current Land Registry document showing only your name
Proof of monthly housing costs
- Latest mortgage statement showing your monthly repayment amounts
- Latest council tax bill showing your monthly payment amounts
Thank you! With the confirmation from my mom and brother do I need to provide proof that they had ownership too like a mortgage statement at the time for both houses when I lived in each one? Or will a letter stating it be ok?

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2021, 01:04:52 PM »
Thank you! With the confirmation from my mom and brother do I need to provide proof that they had ownership too like a mortgage statement at the time for both houses when I lived in each one? Or will a letter stating it be ok?

No, you just need a letter. You only need to provide proof of their ownership if you are still living with them and will continue to live with them after your ILR has been granted.

The official guidance from the old paper SET(M) form regarding the cohabitation evidence was:

If you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the period you are relying on, please provide a letter from the relative(s) and/or friend(s) confirming this.

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2021, 01:19:54 PM »
No, you just need a letter. You only need to provide proof of their ownership if you are still living with them and will continue to live with them after your ILR has been granted.

The official guidance from the old paper SET(M) form regarding the cohabitation evidence was:

If you and your partner lived with relatives or friends for some or all of the period you are relying on, please provide a letter from the relative(s) and/or friend(s) confirming this.
Awesome, that's a relief, my mom isn't the best at keeping documents lol.

Thanks again :-)

Sponsored Links