Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: I miss high quality ice cream  (Read 9146 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
Re: I miss high quality ice cream
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2021, 09:35:45 AM »
We have a local Gelateria that seems to have lots of flavours of all kinds, like Reeses and Milky Bar and Salted Caramel, etc and they put them into waffle cones, etc.  I haven't been , but people love it.

Give me a good proper hot fudge sundae, whipped cream and a cherry on top, please!  Or a Friendly's Jim Dandy (which is strawberry, vanilla, and chocolate ice cream with marshmallow, strawberry, and chocolate toppings, a freshly split banana, jimmies* and walnuts.)

*New England term for sprinkles, and no it's not a racist term. It was because the company JustBorn (who do vile Peeps), originally made these sprinkles and the owner's name was Jimmy, so it was named after him. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2021, 09:36:16 AM »
Doubtful.  I've tried to explain to my husband what hot fudge is.  He can't quite grok it, because "fudge" is the starting place, and we each approach that word from very different places.  Hot fudge doesn't appear to be a thing to the natives.

Yes, and hot fudge is very different than chocolate topping/sauce!
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2021, 09:38:29 AM »

Indeed.  I don't really like chocolate sauce.  But hot fudge... oh, how I miss that.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 1260
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2021, 09:40:56 AM »

I honestly don't know... I prefer my sugar in alcohol form, so I've never been inside any of them!

Me too

Please report back!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

My, how time flies....

* Married in the US and applied for first spousal visa August 2013
* Moved to the UK on said visa October 2013
* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.
* Citizenship applied for May  2019
* Citizenship approved on July 4th 2019
* Ceremony conducted on August 28th 2019

'Mommy, Wow! I'm a legit Brit now!'

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2021, 09:44:15 AM »
Doubtful.  I've tried to explain to my husband what hot fudge is.  He can't quite grok it, because "fudge" is the starting place, and we each approach that word from very different places.  Hot fudge doesn't appear to be a thing to the natives.

My thoughts exactly! Lol just asking a hopeful question.

*New England term for sprinkles, and no it's not a racist term. It was because the company JustBorn (who do vile Peeps), originally made these sprinkles and the owner's name was Jimmy, so it was named after him.

I've not heard the term jimmies in so long! Hahah i didn't realise it was a new england specific thing, just grew up thinking that was a normal and well known term
Preach

My, how time flies....

* FLR(M) applied for  May 2016. Biometrics requested June 2016. Approval given July 2016.
* ILR applied for January 2019 (using priority processing). Approved February 2019.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2021, 09:48:01 AM »
Oooh, so  x0Kiss0fDeath, I'm now into the wormhole of good proper New England ice cream shops

Sherbert! Oh, I love sherbert! And Grape Nut ice cream! or Frozen Pudding! Moose tracks! Black raspberry, Dutch Apple...
Hot Butterscotch Sauce! Pineapple sauce....   (I know some of these things aren't specific to New England)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2021, 09:50:54 AM »

At Christmas, I always make that 'No Fail' chocolate fudge recipe that's on the tubs of marshmallow fluff..... everyone at work goes MAD for it.  I always have to call it 'chocolate fudge' rather than 'fudge' because we all know what 'fudge' is here, and this is nothing like it. I bet if I made a looser/more pourable version of that No Fail Fudge, it would be INCREDIBLE on ice cream!

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2021, 09:53:21 AM »
Oooh, so  x0Kiss0fDeath, I'm now into the wormhole of good proper New England ice cream shops

Sherbert! Oh, I love sherbert! And Grape Nut ice cream! or Frozen Pudding! Moose tracks! Black raspberry, Dutch Apple...
Hot Butterscotch Sauce! Pineapple sauce....   (I know some of these things aren't specific to New England)
Do other people not know what sherbet is?! I love moose tracks

My local shop did a green monster flavour that was mint with hot fudge in it and i think either oreo or chocolate chunks

Speaking of friendly's - didnt love the chain as our local ones were pretty gross and dirty, but i loved the cake batter shake thing they did (forget what theyre called). They put actual frosting in it and cake chunks

My, how time flies....

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2021, 09:53:59 AM »
At Christmas, I always make that 'No Fail' chocolate fudge recipe that's on the tubs of marshmallow fluff..... everyone at work goes MAD for it.  I always have to call it 'chocolate fudge' rather than 'fudge' because we all know what 'fudge' is here, and this is nothing like it. I bet if I made a looser/more pourable version of that No Fail Fudge, it would be INCREDIBLE on ice cream!
Please try and report back!

My, how time flies....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2021, 09:54:35 AM »
LOL, a British 'HOT FUDGE' recipe. Nope. Nope. Nope.
https://fussfreeflavours.com/hot-fudge-sauce/

This: Much better!! Proper!!!
https://tastesbetterfromscratch.com/hot-fudge/
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2021, 09:58:09 AM »

Preface: Forgive me for desecrating your talk of New England ice creameries, but...

I remember McDonald's had sundaes, and the topping options were strawberry, hot fudge, and a third... was it hot butterscotch, or was it caramel?  Are those two different things?  That butterscotch/caramel(?) flavour was the first to get dropped from the menu, but I loved it.

They must think you are a culinary genius.  Who doesn't love chocolate fudge?

KoD, I was mostly in California and the South (Texas/Arkansas) growing up.  I know what sherbert is.  I don't know if that helps.
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2021, 10:05:35 AM »
Speaking of friendly's - didnt love the chain as our local ones were pretty gross and dirty, but i loved the cake batter shake thing they did (forget what theyre called). They put actual frosting in it and cake chunks

Oooh, they were absolutely minging, we only went there when we had hangovers because they had the fountain Coca-Cola that really helped a girl out.
I did hear they were sold, closed most of the places, but kept a few open and have cleaned their act up a lot. 
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2021, 10:06:20 AM »

I remember McDonald's had sundaes, and the topping options were strawberry, hot fudge, and a third... was it hot butterscotch, or was it caramel?  Are those two different things?  That butterscotch/caramel(?) flavour was the first to get dropped from the menu, but I loved it.

I would hazard a guess it was butterscotch. Definitely 2 different things similar so understand the confusion, but definitely different

My, how time flies....

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2021, 10:07:53 AM »
KoD, I was mostly in California and the South (Texas/Arkansas) growing up.  I know what sherbert is.  I don't know if that helps.

Good to know! I have mentioned it on here before and have gotten  ??? ???
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2021, 11:51:00 AM »
They must think you are a culinary genius.  Who doesn't love chocolate fudge?

They do.  It's ridiculous!   ;D

I know people call it 'sherbert' in the US, but I think it's actually meant to be 'sherbet'.  I used to think it was the same as sorbet, but I learned it's not because it does have a tiny bit of dairy in it, which sorbet doesn't.  It's kind of like a cross between sorbet and ice cream.  Last time I had 'sherbert'  I was probably about 13 or 14, and a triple scoop of rainbow sherbet from Thrifty drug store in Corona CA cost the grand total of about 25 cents!

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab