Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 412945 times)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #7950 on: February 19, 2021, 09:11:25 AM »
Thanks folks!  My parents were negative last week, but retested on Wednesday. Don't know the results yet. Both have been feeling okay, so I hope they managed to dodge it.

I'm thinking of trying to grow tomatoes in grow bags this year... when do I need to start SERIOUSLY considering this?  I expect I will need some sort of small (and cheap!) greenhouse for them... will need to be lockable, though, as my charming neighbours and their brats will undoubtedly try and steal stuff.

Are you going to grow from seeds or from established plants?  If from seeds, in the next few weeks, if from plugs May is good. 
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7951 on: February 19, 2021, 09:24:18 AM »
Happy Friday!

1.) Thanks to Chinese New Year, I have had the most quiet 2 weeks in ages.  I like to be busy (but not overburdened), so this has been tough going.  [smiley=computer.gif]

2.) Hmmm.... let's see...boring times......  [smiley=sleeping2.gif]

3.) Ahh, did restring and overhaul my 1967 Kent Guitar that my Dad found in the dump and it's playing awesome now. And restrung one of my bass guitars. So been having some music inspiration.  [smiley=guitarist.gif]

4.) Errr... what else..... ???

5.) Need to clean the chicken coop out this weekend. The excitement never ends!  [smiley=mickey.gif]
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #7952 on: February 19, 2021, 10:55:30 AM »
My Friday Five:

1) My mum got her first dose of the Oxford vaccine yesterday (she's 65) :)

2) I'm going back to the Falklands in early April for 3 months. They've had relatively few Covid cases there, though they've been in a short lockdown this month due to a small outbreak in January... the lockdown is being lifted today though, and they are going back to no restrictions or social distancing. I will have to quarantine on base for 14 days when I arrive (which I'm not really looking forward to) but after that, it should be pretty much life as normal :).

3) Not quite sure what going to the Falklands will mean for getting vaccinated though. The vaccination calculator reckons I'll get my first dose between early May and early July, which is when I'll be away. I know the UK government have sent vaccines down for the Falklands residents, but not sure what they're doing about vaccinating the military/civilian personnel stationed there... will have to investigate.

4) I've also signed up to go back to Ascension later this year. At the moment, they've put me down to travel in January 2022 (as I have other trips planned for mid-November and mid-January, though I'm not convinced they will happen either), but there's a chance I could go earlier.

5) After 3.5 years of wearing it, my Fitbit Alta has been playing up lately (not recording my sleep properly, and occasionally not recognising periods of activity), and I spent yesterday debating whether I should upgrade to the Inspire 2 or not. My decision was made this morning when my supposedly fully-charged Alta was dead (<5% battery) and as a result, had not recorded my sleep again, for the third night this week. Unfortunately, the price of the Inspire 2 on Amazon had increased by £2 overnight, but in the end I managed to get it at 20% off on the Fitbit website through the employee discount scheme we have with work :).

• Liked: 4987
« Reply #7953 on: February 19, 2021, 02:24:41 PM »
Friyay!

1.  We are putting our poly tunnel up on the allotment this weekend (weather allowing). Need to order seeds ASAP!  Any favourite places PB?

2.  Love that they are targeting over 40’s to be vaccinated by end of March!

3.  Trying to think of ways to make my soon to be 7 years old second lockdown birthday fun!

4.   A friend suggested sequin art for my daughter’s boredom.  It’s awesome and I got one for me too after she wouldn’t let me join in.  We both finished our first ones and are opening our second ones tonight!

5.  We have discovered live cams at zoos this week. Pandas for everyone!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7954 on: February 19, 2021, 02:35:04 PM »
1.  We are putting our poly tunnel up on the allotment this weekend (weather allowing). Need to order seeds ASAP!  Any favourite places PB?

I like Real Seeds and Victoriana Nursery , but I think both places are really overwhelmed with demand at the moment!  I'm hoping gardening centres can open soon though, as my most preferred option is a small, independent local gardening centre that we are regular customers of!  Not that my option will help you, but maybe you have a good garden centre near you too!
You're stuck with me!

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7955 on: February 26, 2021, 12:01:47 PM »
Happy Friday!

1.) Beautiful spring day and due to be even better this weekend!  Yay!  [smiley=daisy.gif]

2.) Been doing some recording again, I'm full of creativity at the moment!  [smiley=guitarist.gif]

3.) I have been brining a brisket all week to make what us Americans would call 'corned beef, but they call salt beef here, to make proper England Boiled Dinner (aka 'Corned Beef and Cabbage') and I cannot wait to have it tomorrow. And then I will have rubens on Sunday. I have been drooling all week thinking about it!  [smiley=chef.gif]

4.) Watching the vaccine rollout in the US and its sure a cluster***k. My parents thankfully didn't get Covid so they've signed up for a vaccine. But goodness knows when they will get it, even though they're over 70 and have comorbidities.  At least here I know when my turn will be (thanks to the JCVI announcements today).  :-\\\\

5.) Chickens have been on 'flockdown' due to bird flu for several months now. I'm sure they're itching to get into the grass again. WIll be another 4-6 weeks for them to be cooped up.   [smiley=cowboy.gif]
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #7956 on: February 26, 2021, 02:32:02 PM »
Oh... I'm here on a  Friday.  Yay!

PB, I am simultaneously envious of your future Reuben sandwiches and grateful for translating corned beef to UK for me.  I had no idea it was called salt beef here, and I didn't know how to ask if it existed so I could make my own reuben sandwiches.  (How hard it is to brine your own?  How easy is it to just buy it?  What should I do?  Do you put the dressing on your sandwich?  What variety of cheese do you use?)

1.  I am 13 days post Pfizer vax #1.  I didn't say anything sooner because I wasn't confident that my exposure to the real world was unscathing... but at this point, I think I can safely say I did not get Covid when I went out.

2.  My husband and I are disappointed that I was so close to a full year without leaving the house but failed because of the vaccine.  But once I was offered Pfizer, I was ready to climb figurative mountains to get it.  (And getting it felt like climbing a mountain!  How do you guys walk around with a mask on your face?  HOW DO YOU BREATHE?!)

3.  We had our first shunshine garden coffee on Monday.  I think we're going to survive the worst of this pandemic.

4.  Three days after I got my vaccine (and a month after finishing his quarantine because my husband's office gave him Covid), my husband was sent home again to protect me because I'm shielding.  I mean... free holiday, sure.  But what even is the point, now?  If we weren't doing all the things, the government would've killed me already.

5.  I just e-filed my 2020 tax return.  My $1200 stimulus 1.0 will be direct deposited into my checking account, hopefully within the next 21 days.  (I did report some foreign interest that the tax website said could flag my income for closer scrutiny and may slow my refund, but hopefully not... the threshold was $400, and I reported $462, so hopefully they'll just be all, "This is ridiculous... it's not worth questioning.")  Anyway.  I'm infinitely closer to getting my stimulus check now than I was before, so who cares if it takes longer than 21 days.  I know it's coming now.  Yay!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
« Reply #7957 on: February 26, 2021, 03:20:34 PM »
Yay I'm so glad you've got your first vaccine dose now JFKimberly!!!!

So I've only seen salt beef here online and holy cow, it's expensive as hell!  I've seen the thin slices in Tesco, but it's actually not very authentic in my mind

So instead I found a recipe and found a place that sells the curing salt

I actually had the pickling spices from the last time I was in the US, as they're easily found in New England. 

I'm making a loaf of rye bread this weekend, I've got the sauerkraut already, will make a thousand island dressing, and I've got some Leerdammer cheese too. Drooling. 
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 958
« Reply #7958 on: February 26, 2021, 04:23:39 PM »
These food posts are too good!

I'm finally feeling human so shall return to this thread with an update. :)

1. All of my relatives in the US have had either their first vaccine or both of them. Either due to being high risk age-wise or working in a public facing role. They are actually vaccinating teachers as a priority, what a concept!

2. My grandma's sister passed away last night. Only 2 great aunts remain. :( I hope I can get back there before my Aunt Ruthie is gone.

3. Husband just had his jab, the Astra Zeneca one. So the next shot will be in May sometime. At least the science supports the booster for that being at approximately 12 weeks. Unsure when I'll get mine but at least I am in group 6.

4. Been spending a lot of time on my volunteer work lately. Hopefully I'll be ready to job hunt again soon. I kinda hit a wall with my health and PTSD so searching has been on the back burner. I want a junior role and people just keep recruiting for senior positions. I may have the technical skills for those, but I always struggle to adapt to the social structure at companies and any change in routine causes massive flares in my symptoms so starting closer to the bottom with less responsibilities is much better for me. Part of an inclusive environment is being willing to hire people at the level they are asking for, because they probably have a good reason for it. At least once I'm vaccinated I'll feel safer for the inevitable day when they demand everyone back into the office.

5. I've been on cannabis medicines for about 6 months now. Its definitely not a magical cure like a lot of people pretend it is, but it is effective medicine when you find the right strains. The oil has massively helped my gastroparesis. A new sativa strain is helping my pain during the day without making me completely out of it. CBD in large quantities apparently makes my joints looser, which was extremely painful so I stopped that strain pretty quickly. (It helped depression and anxiety though.) I still take CBD oil so the THC doesn't cause dry eyes and such, but it's a lower dose. And I have another flower for at night so I've been sleeping a lot more soundly through pain than I have in a long time. It's weird because they push CBD so much, but it's actually the THC that helps with my pain and that's a pretty common experience based on research elsewhere. I always thought I was sensitive to it because of recreational experiences many years ago, but what I've learned in the last few months is the terpenes and dose determine the effects. I vaporise about 0.1g of the flower a day between the two strains, and I'm sure that may increase over time but that's a fraction of a recreational dose. It's still very early days for the medical program here, but I'm hopeful it will improve and become more accessible in time. If anyone ever has questions about it, feel free to message.

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #7959 on: February 26, 2021, 05:44:42 PM »
1.  I am 13 days post Pfizer vax #1.  I didn't say anything sooner because I wasn't confident that my exposure to the real world was unscathing... but at this point, I think I can safely say I did not get Covid when I went out.

Hurrah!!!  :D  [smiley=balloon.gif]

« Reply #7960 on: February 26, 2021, 05:59:48 PM »
Loving all the good news!

1.  I looked up flights to the USA for Christmas and was shocked at their affordability...  having thought about it, there is a reason they are.  I don’t think testing all over will be gone (times 4 people) and who knows how long the hotel quarantine will be around. Just too many unknowns and likely huge extra costs.

2.  Got my 2020 tax refund today. Feel like the ISA keeps giving me money (well, because they do)

3.  We complete on the house we are selling on Wednesday!

4.  Been getting quotes on a custom shed to fit in a unique area in prep for moving forward with our extension.  I cannot believe the cost of a shed!!!  But it would require proper craftsmanship and skills.  Seriously though....  eye watering!

5.  We will be back at the allotment this weekend. I put a post on a local group in search of paving slabs and bricks - I had to turn off comments!  And people have dropped them off on our driveway this week. Pretty awesome!  Love free stuff and keeping things out of a landfill too!

• Liked: 537
« Reply #7961 on: March 05, 2021, 07:20:39 PM »
I can't believe it's Friday again. (Yes, we are still alive! I've been doing a LOT of knitting and TV and silly games like Two Point Hospital lately)

1. I had to take my husband for a lumbar puncture this morning so I spent 2 hours wasting time at Aldi, Tesco and their parking lots... This is very difficult to do in the current state of the world as I knew I shouldn't be waiting about in the parking lot. I did not buy much, but I did get a lot of yarn! Enough for two sweaters, so I'm pretty excited.
2. I also bought a small plant at Aldi and some flowers which are already blooming in the kitchen.
3. I've been reading this year and am at 5 books so far, so that's pretty fab.
4. I'm almost done knitting the chevron blanket I've been working on.
5. I got to video chat with one of my best friends back in the states yesterday.
The usual. American girl meets British guy. They fall into like, then into love. Then there was the big decision. The American traveled across the pond to join the Brit. And life was never the same again.

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #7962 on: March 05, 2021, 07:57:29 PM »
My Friday Five:

1. I've been really tired the last few days... it's a busy month for shifts as we're short-staffed, and so I ended up working 100 hours in 12 days, and I was only getting about 4.5 to 5 hours of sleep a night! I've managed to catch up on sleep a bit, but not completely yet.

2. I got my flight confirmation for the Falklands today... I leave in 33 days :)

3. As of this week, the base in the Falklands is offering the vaccine to military personnel and civilian contractors, so I should be able to get at least my first dose while I'm away

4. My trip to Italy for a convention in July has been postponed yet again (no new dates announced yet)... which I'm glad about, as I really didn't think July was going to be an option. It also means I'm free to stay longer in the Falklands if needed.

5. I went to the Opticians today for an eye test and to get new glasses (cost me £329 for 2 pairs with thinned lenses... and that was with a 2 for 1 offer!). I'd been putting it off for months because of Covid, even though the prescription in the right lens of my glasses has been wrong for about a year... I first noticed it in Ascension, but there's no optician on the island - there's an optician on St Helena who visits Ascension every 2-3 months, but because of the pandemic, all the flights between the islands were stopped last year - and then I didn't feel comfortable going for an eye test when I got home.

« Reply #7963 on: March 05, 2021, 09:15:41 PM »
Glad the Falklands assignment is coming together!

1.  Been sprouting things for the allotment at home.  Very exciting to see things grow!  Supposed to be dry this weekend and we have tons to do.  Eeeks!

2.  We completed on our rental this week, so no longer landlords. 

3.  My husband is booked in for his first covid vaccine.   :D

4.  Work has been tough the last couple of weeks (9 months into my 12 month contract).  With the acquisition we made in October and the end of the fiscal year as March 31, the redundancy sword is well and truly flying.  Sucks.  Not fun.

5.  SCHOOLS GO BACK MONDAY!!!!!!!!!!! 

• Liked: 585
« Reply #7964 on: March 12, 2021, 09:29:49 AM »
1.  Excited for today because my work has purchased me a new desk and chair, which are arriving today!

2.  New sofa was delivered earlier this week, so im looking forward to re-arranging the living room (which we no longer use for 'living') into my office space.  All our 'living', ie watching TV in the evenings, eating meals, etc now takes place in our bedroom... OH is ridiculously over-sensitive to other people's noise, and can no longer tolerate hearing music/TV/talking from the flat downstairs, so he moved to the bedroom 4 months ago and says he actually prefers it.

3.  Got some corn tortillas and a couple of big cans of green enchilada sauce off Amazon, so am planning on making a big pan of enchiladas this weekend.

4.  Been using Hello Fresh for a couple of months now and although I do like it, what is their OBSESSION with black beans???  Do any of you know if any of the other meal ingredient/recipe delivery services are better than Hello Fresh in terms of variety?

5.  OMG... 90 Day Fiancee.  I think each and every one of the men this season seriously need a slap!  Jovi?  Slap.  Brandon? Slap. Andrew?  Mike?  Tarik? Slap, slap, slap.   And Stephanie?  I think she needs a detox from whatever she's on.

Sponsored Links