Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 412747 times)

• Liked: 424
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #6120 on: October 06, 2018, 07:19:18 PM »
Welcome home!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Liked: 680
« Reply #6121 on: October 09, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
Friday Five:

1) Daughter's FBI Good Conduct Letter came. Waiting for UK's. FBI's has wording that there's no record in their database, but that doesn't mean there's none at the local level. (Thanks, FBI.) So I've been trying to sort out getting a letter from the SD Sheriff. They won't do one over the internet - someone has to go in there with a power of attorney for us, pay the fees, then pick it up and overnight it back. Can't be a "regular" power of attorney, has to be one specifically giving them the power to pull the Daughter's records (ie, we need to get a new one signed and sent to Calif). The other alternative would be if they could send it to the consulate in Edinburgh and have someone at the consulate verify the Daughter is who she says she is and then give her the letter.  So I wrote to the consulate to ask if they could do that. They sent back a long thing about how they can't do fingerprints and provided the name of a company in Edinburgh who could. So I had to write back again to say WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING FINGERPRINTS, we need to know if someone there can accept a letter from SD Sheriff and verify the Daughter's ID before handing the letter to her. No response since then. Jeezus H. Keyrist I am tired of dealing with idiots who do not read. 

So. We could never reach a live body at the Consulate. The Police said no. Fortunately, my old boss at my last job is an absolute angel and she said she would run interference there in California for us.

We had to get a temporary/limited power of attorney witnessed for the Sheriff to be able to talk to her. In the past we've gone to the JP in Paisley for this sort of thing - all they are doing is witnessing that the person [the Daughter] signing the form is, in fact, who it is claimed on the form.  So, I managed to miraculously get an appointment for this morning, saying what we needed done. We got up at the crack of dawn (ok, earlier), took the bus to Central Station. Took the train to Paisley. Walked in the pouring rain to the courthouse. Waited a half-hour past our appointment time because the JP was running late getting in. The Daughter went in with the form. Came back out with a gatekeeper who says the JP can't sign powers of attorney, it has to be attorney who does that. Wanted to know where we got the wording on the form. I told them that the San Diego Sheriff sent the form and that the only thing the form did, and this was written on the form, was give a friend the power to pay for and pick up the Daughter's Good Conduct Letter from the Sheriff in San Diego. Period. And that it was only good for 30 days.  AND that the Sheriff's Office just wanted someone official to witness the signature. They were ok with the JP doing that.  (I had pre-cleared that.) That's all the JP had to do - witness the signature.  But the gatekeeper would not allow the JP (who was ok with it) to do that. Because "powers of attorney have to be notarized by an attorney." [Which the JP is. What. Ever.]

We hit three civil solicitors offices going down the street from the courthouse back to the station. All could book appointments for tomorrow. This was after we explained that we had to FedEx it overnight today. The Daughter started breaking out in hives from the stress.

We took the train back to town, thinking we'd have to explain the difficulty (saving the train tickets to prove the journey) to the Irish government and ask for a bit more time to get this done. We do have the UK Police Clearance Certificate and the FBI's downloaded clearance (waiting for the hardcopy of that to arrive). We even asked for one from the copshop at her Uni there in California, but it's not arrived yet. It seems each entity states on their form that they can only vouch for there being no record in their system, but there could be records in another entity's system! So, we're trying to hit all the bases - FBI for national, Uni for Uni, Sheriff for Local San Diego - to not give Ireland any cause to reject the Daughter's application.

So, in the pouring rain, we got back into town. On a hunch, we went in to the solicitors who had done our wills earlier this year, as they are right by the train station. Explained the situation to the receptionist - just needed a notary to sign the form/stamp it, showing they'd reviewed the Daughter's ID and that she is the person who signed the form. Surprisingly, they were willing to do that immediately. And did not charge us a penny. It didn't need to be recorded in their books or anything, I guess, so just the guy signing and using his official seal on the letter took about two minutes and we were on our way to the Post Office to send it out.

Where the guy behind the counter remembered me from last week and asked if my last "next day" letter had gotten there ok. I told him that it was two days late and we had filed for compensation, and he was like bending over backwards to be helpful with this one. Actually apologized that the last one had not gotten there the next day. He even made me a photocopy of the notarized form to keep, and would not let me pay for it. And now it's all sent on to the friend who will take it to the Sheriff's on Friday afternoon. And then, hopefully, FedEx it back to us either that afternoon or on Saturday, so that it should arrive back here by Wednesday, so we can then FedEx it to Ireland to get there by the following Monday.

Following all that? Holy frijoles this has gone past the point of insanity. But, since they haven't ruled out the Daughter's application outright (due to lack of time in-country is what would get her, I think),  we do have to do whatever they ask in the hopes that they'll say "yes". "Yes" would solve so many, many, many problems.

Much walking in the rain, much angst today. The FedEx is gone out. The ex-Boss in San Diego is notified it's on the way. We went to Five Guys and said to hell with the diets, and had hot dogs and french fries. Then did a little shopping and came home. To find that the Daughter now has a temporary, part-time job that she really wanted. And an interview for one tomorrow that would start in a few months that is permanent, but also only a very few hours a week. So, good omens, then? Maybe?
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 04:49:46 PM by Nan D. »

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #6122 on: October 09, 2018, 04:31:47 PM »
Then did a little shopping and came home. To find that the Daughter now has a temporary, part-time job that she really wanted. And an interview for one tomorrow that would start in a few months that is permanent, but also only a very few hours a week. So, good omens, then? Maybe?

Definitely good omens!  :) Great news on the jobs!

« Reply #6123 on: October 09, 2018, 04:36:26 PM »
Yeah. She's just thrilled.

I am relieved. Her sitting at home all day was making her stir-crazy and just killing her self-esteem. So this should help! And will get her some spending money. She won't make enough to make a dent in what she'd need to pay for her tuition fees, but at least she could keep herself in makeup and stuff while waiting for "settlement" and the ability to work full-time.

• Liked: 6111
« Reply #6124 on: October 09, 2018, 04:47:20 PM »
Yeah. She's just thrilled.

I am relieved. Her sitting at home all day was making her stir-crazy and just killing her self-esteem. So this should help! And will get her some spending money. She won't make enough to make a dent in what she'd need to pay for her tuition fees, but at least she could keep herself in makeup and stuff while waiting for "settlement" and the ability to work full-time.

It's always nice to have some pocket money.  :)

« Reply #6125 on: October 09, 2018, 05:30:44 PM »
Yeah, there were moths flying around in her purse the last time she opened it.  ;)

« Reply #6126 on: October 10, 2018, 01:57:46 PM »
Oh, by the way. Don't use the Post Office to send urgent overseas mail. They use ParcelForce, who then takes Global Express to the FedEx depot and it goes out that way. Twice now I have paid for "next business day" delivery. Mailed 2 Oct early in the day did not reach USA until 4 Oct.  Yesterdays, mailed before 11:00, is still in the UK. Clerk at the PO swore up and down it would be in the USA by the end of business today.  Phoned ParcelForce to get the FedEx tracking number to give to the recipient, was told there was "no way" it could be a next-business-day delivery and should not have been sold as such. They pick up in the afternoon, and don't hand it over to FedEx until sometime the next day. Always. So paying for "next day" is moot as there IS no next day service.

I have already fired off livid emails to several entities and have braved Twitter to contact the PO. They requested copies of the receipts, which I figured out how to send to them. They are "checking with the location" and will be back in touch. I told them I expected a full refund.

Hopefully the stuff for the Sheriff will actually hit the skies this afternoon and be delivered tomorrow. My friend in San Diego has an appointment with the Sheriff's staff at 3pm on Friday. So if it gets in tomorrow, even if campus mail intercepts it, she should still have it by 10:00am on Friday.

I hope. {sigh}

If there had been a FedEx depot location I could have gotten to myself, I'd have just taken it there and dropped it off to save the extra transit day. But apparently there isn't anywhere in Glasgow.  So now I need to source another service that will actually provide overnight shipping of urgent documents. DHL was always reliable in the States, but they don't guarantee next-day.

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6127 on: October 12, 2018, 10:20:25 AM »
Happy Friday!  Man, this week felt so long.  I'm happy I made it!

1.  Albatross sent me a box of Red Hots, and included a bonus Hawaiian Punch powder sachet.  She's my current best friend.  Sorry, everybody else.

2.  I found a list of 96 dystopian sci-fi books, and I want to read, like, half of them.  Of the remaining half,  I've already half.  There's very few that don't pique my interest.  I'm about to go through a very impoverished time in my life, but I'll be entertained for weeks!

3.  My husband only has half a weekend, but we are spending part of it going to see his family because his aunt is up visiting from France and we haven't seen her in more than a year (she comes up to visit several times a year, but we frequently make our excuses).

4.  On my birthday, I spent $775 on a circuit board from America.  Then we spent another £122 on import duty.  It is original old stock from 1984.  We don't know how it still exists, but we've been waiting and hoping for one to turn up in a search for more than a year, and it did, and we didn't even try to negotiate the price.  We just bought it.  It arrived today, and I'm afraid to open the box.

5.  I've had two long-sleeved t-shirts in my Amazon basket for several days now.  Including shipping, they cost £8.  I haven't convinced myself to spend that money.  <points at #4>  But I did that!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #6128 on: October 12, 2018, 10:23:58 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  I have ANOTHER cold.  I'm barely over the last one.  I suspect the 4 year old sneezing on my dinner Monday night has something to do with it...  <barf>

2.  The buggy that was damaged when we returned from holiday in September has FINALLY been replaced.  Debating if we sell it and buy another cheap used one.  We got this one for £20 on Facebook.... it's been replaced and it's £750 new.  I could easily get a few hundred for it.  But I've never had a new buggy (as I'm cheap)... so may just use this one until the boy doesn't need it anymore.  Will still have a decent amount of value.

3.  My husband came through with the gifts for our anniversary last week.  My name was only on the card.  ;D   The theme was sugar or iron depending on which source you look at.  He got me a cake, photo will be added.  And a beautiful rose forged out of iron.  ;D 

4.  I'm in 2 minds about the Saturday morning dance classes.  I really enjoy it.  But it's a lot of drama.  I'm finding the parents much more difficult than I did in the USA.  I don't think it's a British/UK thing but more like a "precious snowflake" thing.  It's hard that Friday night is still a school night.  :P  And classes start at 9:15 and I have to be cheerful.  I really wish it was in the evenings after work.

5.  My daughter starts gymnastics tomorrow after being on the waiting list for a year and a half (for a weekend class).  She did a Friday class when I was on maternity leave and loved it.  She's so excited to start back tomorrow!

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #6129 on: October 12, 2018, 10:32:07 AM »
Oh, man... that new buggy would be on eBay so fast if it was mine.  Did it arrive still in the box?  I wouldn't even open the thing.  NIB is a magic "word" on eBay.  I'm probably cheaper than you are.

I'm sorry about the drama and stupid-early start for the dance class.  I know you were excited to be teaching dance again, so I'm sad that it isn't as enjoyable as you'd anticipated.  But yay for your daughter going to gymnastics!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #6130 on: October 12, 2018, 10:43:18 AM »
Ah, the special snowflake syndrome. I loathe that. Because it leads to things  like University freshmen who come into one's office saying that they should not have failed a class "because they tried really hard." In all seriousness. The moms are not doing their kids any good - they have a lot of rude shocks later on when they leave home! Of course, sometimes the moms and/or dads actually phone the university to argue their kids' cases. Seriously. Bizarrely. Sadly.

Friday Five:

1) It's windy and rainy out. I may stay in all day. Or I may brave it and go to the tea shop, just to get out. The laundry is going - the washing machine has been on the same load since 8:30 this morning! So I may have to stay in to see how long it takes.

2) The FedEx got to California. Hopefully no problems on that end when our friend takes it to the sheriff (at 11:00pm our time). The FBI says the hardcopy of their letter can take "up to six weeks" to arrive so it's good we made the attempt to get a hardcopy of the Daughter's non-record from the Sheriff, as everything is due in Ireland a week from Tuesday. Hopefully the UK one, the local Calif one, and a printout of the PDF of the FBI one will serve until the hardcopy FBI letter gets here. (Assuming it does, in the mail. There was no option to pay for special mailing.)

3) Tesco had chicken on sale this week so I now have 10 jars of chicken put up for future use. It's edible in case of power failures, doesn't need refrigeration that way, and is really good for making a quick curry - it gets nice and shreddy in the pan. So I'm set for winter (or Brexit, whichever is worse), kitchen-stocks-wise!

4) Survived another driving lesson yesterday. Did much better. Still made some mistakes, but better. Booked for theory test at the end of the month. Still not doing great at the online hazards demo tests. (sigh)

5) My hydroponic plants seem to have aphids. How do those little ba##ards get into the house, anyway? Hmmmm.

Hoping everyone has a safe weekend, with the crazy rain and wind forecast.

[PS I can totally see the circuit board thing. I've paid strange amounts to have things sent over. I have my original computer and amber moniter with me, made by the Twinhead Computer Company in a garage in SoCalifornia. And the floppy disks that go with it. I have thoughts that I will eventually get it out of the packing boxes and see if I can get it to run again. Have "Reader Rabbit" and "Grover's Astro Adventure" and all the little software programs I bought the Daughter when she was like two years old. I imagine I'll be having to replace some parts, as the poor thing has been in boxes shuffled from one storeroom to another, and in UHauls back and forth across the USA, and then on the boat through the Panama Canal to get here! That's gonna cost some change, if I can even find the parts.]
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 10:48:46 AM by Nan D. »

« Reply #6131 on: October 12, 2018, 10:45:06 AM »
FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!  FRIDAY!

1.  I have ANOTHER cold.  I'm barely over the last one.  I suspect the 4 year old sneezing on my dinner Monday night has something to do with it...  <barf>

Bummer! Feel better soon.  Yes, young children are germ repositories, and will bring you home every one you've never had before. And, for good measure, a couple that you have, only worse.  ;)

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 846
« Reply #6132 on: October 12, 2018, 11:03:33 AM »
Happy Friday

1.) Been a sh*t week at work. This is a usual Friday Five update. However, this time,  I've got HR involved. Can't say much more. [smiley=bomb.gif]

2.) Really really rainy-windy weather ahead for the weekend.  :-\\\\

3.) Something related to work got sent to my house via DHL that needs a signature. Of course no one is home during the day to get this.   I did not realise this was heading to my house. I thought it would be sent to work.  Now getting said item is pretty difficult because it's DHL and not the Post Office. (i.e. hubby, who has the car during the day as he needs it for his job cannot pick it up for me and of course, not open at the weekends.)  ::)

4.) My diary is getting mega booked up for the rest of the year.   I need a holiday. How will I fit in said holiday?  [smiley=help.gif]

5.) Time to get back to making beer. Been mega busy over the summer so let it lapse.  Going to order some ingredients today.   [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

• Liked: 585
« Reply #6133 on: October 12, 2018, 11:11:06 AM »
1. Sitting in Starbucks listening to terrible French pop and drinking cold coffee. I'm waiting for my car to get fixed at the garage next door,  and have been here 3 hours because I can't be arsed get a bus home and then back up again to collect car later.

2. Stitches coming out today!
3. Back to work on Monday.
4. Sick of hearing about the weather.  Shut up, put a jaikit oan and deal with it, people!!*
5. Might go to Costco on Saturday for protein shakes and vitamins.

* not specifically directed to anyone here, just people in general. Sick hearing folk moan about the 'bad' weather, and it's only October!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2018, 11:16:49 AM by Albatross »

• Liked: 3597
« Reply #6134 on: October 12, 2018, 11:13:11 AM »
1. Still recovering from last week’s travel ordeal, but still a bit jetlagged, so haven’t been sleeping as well as I’d hoped

2. I have a horrid neckache and headache today (it’s hormonal)... I’m supposed to be catching up with a friend over dinner this evening, so fingers crossed I feel better by then

3. I don’t think I’m quite acclimatised back to U.K. weather yet - I’ve been too hot all week :P.

4. After 2 months of not being able to escape the weather, I’ve spent my week off not paying attention to it at all... I had no idea it would be windy and raining today until I woke up to it this morning :P.

5. Had a slight mishap with my car on Wednesday... was leaving the hairdressers and was keeping close to the left as another car was trying to pass from the other direction, but I didn’t see a big chunk of metal sticking out from the side of a skip... it hit my wing mirror and knocked the cover off, cracking it in the process :(. I managed to retrieve the cover and clip it back on, but it still needs replacing... so that’s extra money I wasn’t planning to spend this month :(.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links

coloured_drab