Hello

Sponsored Links

Topic: Friday Five!  (Read 410899 times)

• Liked: 1892
Re: Friday Five!
« Reply #8265 on: October 14, 2021, 05:47:30 PM »
This is quite a few Fridays ago, but I enjoyed your post. How is your husband's welding going? I could use a welder to fix one of my bikes which, alas, wasn't stupid cheap. (For avoidance of doubt, I'm joking. The bike is titanium, which is kind of a specialty job.)
  You could always ride your bike through my local park and then claim insurance.   Twickers has been in the news for it's parks lately , we had 3 bikes stolen at knifepoint in three days and one guy stabbed to death. 

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8266 on: October 14, 2021, 08:32:38 PM »
  You could always ride your bike through my local park and then claim insurance.   Twickers has been in the news for it's parks lately , we had 3 bikes stolen at knifepoint in three days and one guy stabbed to death. 

We had a police chase in Wokingham on Saturday!  What are the Home Counties turning into?

• Liked: 14
« Reply #8267 on: October 14, 2021, 09:40:51 PM »

I'm definitely going to put that on my list of things to avoid.

• Liked: 6110
« Reply #8268 on: October 15, 2021, 04:56:40 AM »
We had a police chase in Wokingham on Saturday!  What are the Home Counties turning into?

I miss a good police chase!  ;D

• Liked: 1327
« Reply #8269 on: October 15, 2021, 08:31:28 AM »
This is quite a few Fridays ago, but I enjoyed your post. How is your husband's welding going? I could use a welder to fix one of my bikes which, alas, wasn't stupid cheap. (For avoidance of doubt, I'm joking. The bike is titanium, which is kind of a specialty job.)

Ooh, titanium. That does sound like a specialty job (and not a cheap bike!).

His welding is only just about to get going.  He used it long enough in June to confirm that my Charlie-brown's-Christmas-tree-looking welder actually works, but he's spent the past 3-1/2 months shopping for a welding helmet with powered resipraror.  He finally got one this week.  Hopefully, he'll be learning to weld at the weekend.

Meanwhile, I've already drawn up the plans for the bbq smoker/grill he's going to make us as a First Project to learn how to weld on.  If we can afford the sheet of steel, we'll be smokin' next summer.  Yay!
9/1/2013 - "fiancée" (marriage) visa issued
4/6/2013 - married (certificate issued same-day)
5/6/2013 - FLR(M)#1 in person -- approved!
8/1/2016 - FLR(M)#2 by post -- approved!
8/5/2018 - ILR in person -- approved!
22/11/2018 - Citizenship (online, with NDRS+JCAP) -- approved!
14/12/2018 - I became a British citizen.  :)

« Reply #8270 on: October 15, 2021, 08:49:34 AM »
Friday Friday Friday!

1.  My husband booked Monday off work.  Three day weekend!

2.  We watched two John Kirkwood videos back-to-back last week.  One was for apple pie, the other for lasagne.  Then we added apples to our weekly shop and baked an apple pie on Sunday.  When making the pie crust, we got forgetful and kneaded the pastry a few minutes before we recalled that we were making pie crust, and not pasta.  That was not great.  Buuuuut... it was still apple pie with homemade pastry dough, and we ate every bit of it.

3.  We did not have lasagne.  But I did make some pretty tasty linguini and we had it with the Bolognese I convinced my husband to make.  Lasagne could still happen this weekend.  Maybe.

4.  Who said I was trying to get fit?  Rumors and lies!  (But in my defense, I've only had two bottles of Coke in the last 7 days, and I normally have one every day-and-a-half.  I've really cut back on the empty calories.)

5.  I started a new character for Red Dead Online.  My husband will have our existing one, which is under his username and already has hundreds in gold (earned, not purchased), and tens of thousands in RDO$.  Meanwhile, four days in, I have six gold bars, and about 100 RDO$, and none of the roles is unlocked.  Blargh.  But it's kind of fun starting over.  And later we'll be able to play online together if he has to go back to the other side of the house.

« Reply #8271 on: October 15, 2021, 09:11:14 AM »

2.  We watched two John Kirkwood videos back-to-back last week.  One was for apple pie, the other for lasagne.  Then we added apples to our weekly shop and baked an apple pie on Sunday.  When making the pie crust, we got forgetful and kneaded the pastry a few minutes before we recalled that we were making pie crust, and not pasta.  That was not great.  Buuuuut... it was still apple pie with homemade pastry dough, and we ate every bit of it.

You should plant some fruit trees, you have the perfect garden for a little orchard!  :D

If you choose dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock, they tend to be more precocious and you can plant more in a smaller space so you can have early through late varieties to keep you going all season. I actually had a tiny crop of cherries this year.. *happiness*

« Reply #8272 on: October 15, 2021, 09:18:32 AM »
You should plant some fruit trees, you have the perfect garden for a little orchard!  :D

If you choose dwarf or semi-dwarf rootstock, they tend to be more precocious and you can plant more in a smaller space so you can have early through late varieties to keep you going all season. I actually had a tiny crop of cherries this year.. *happiness*

We are hoping to have a small orchard in the stableyard, after everything is all sorted.  I don't remember what fruits we werethinking of, but an apple or two and a pear were on the list.

What type of cherry do you have?

« Reply #8273 on: October 15, 2021, 09:33:25 AM »
We are hoping to have a small orchard in the stableyard, after everything is all sorted.  I don't remember what fruits we werethinking of, but an apple or two and a pear were on the list.

What type of cherry do you have?

Stella did the best for me and was delicious!  :D You really have to net cherries to keep the birds off which is a bit of a faff but definitely worth it!

Apples, the early varieties don't really keep so while it's nice to have something to start the season with, if you're looking at something that will store for a few months, look at the later varieties for that.

Be careful where you order from, I can recommend a couple of places and there a few places to beware of. The trouble is that depending  what exactly you choose, it can be years before you see any fruit and it's only then that you discover if you've been sent what you ordered! You won't have to worry about that if you buy from one of the good places.

« Reply #8274 on: October 15, 2021, 11:22:36 AM »
It may be some time.  We haven't accomplished anything since finishing the workshop ceiling earlier this year.  That whole medical stuff slowed me down a bit (needing to move the O2 concentrator around the property so I could do things was a bit of a barrier to wanting to do things), and my husband gets really stressed when he's worried about me, so he slows down, too.  We're both much happier --and healthier! (back to low O2 only at night, again)-- now, so maybe we can start doing things again, and ultimately, that could mean sorting out the rest of our garden.

• Also known as PB&J ;-)
  • Liked: 844
« Reply #8275 on: October 15, 2021, 11:28:39 AM »
Ha, we supposedly got a semi-dwarf apple tree that is quickly taking over! But I got not a single apple this year, because late frost killed the blossoms  :\\\'(

Glad the medical stuff is getting better JFKimberly

Happy Friday!

1.) Drinking a gingerbread latte that I made this morning. Yum!  >:D

2.) Hopefully my husband has managed to get leaf lard at the butchers today. The last few times, the pigs have been too lean.   [smiley=chef.gif]

3.) Working on a new recording project  [smiley=guitarist.gif]

4.) Got my flu jab on Monday, so feeling grateful that's done  [smiley=smart.gif]

5.) Bringing in the pumpkin crop this weekend.  Good year for it!  [smiley=daisy.gif]
I've never gotten food on my underpants!
Work permit (2007) to British Citizen (2014)
You're stuck with me!

« Reply #8276 on: October 15, 2021, 11:33:42 AM »
It may be some time. 

Just enjoy the research and planning stages, no need to worry about anything else until you're ready!  :)

« Reply #8277 on: October 15, 2021, 11:38:45 AM »
Ha, we supposedly got a semi-dwarf apple tree that is quickly taking over! But I got not a single apple this year, because late frost killed the blossoms  :\\\'(

Fingers crossed for apples next year, maybe you could fleece the tree or some of it if that looks like happening again?

• Liked: 4985
« Reply #8278 on: October 15, 2021, 01:43:39 PM »
Friyay!

Far too much going on in my life.

1.  Put first payment on extension yesterday.  Lead times are insane but builder found the bricks in EXETER ready to go, so they are being delivered next week.  At least doesn’t delay our start (he was ordering them 8 weeks before need, but bricks jumped to 13 weeks lead time!). So garage clearout needs to accelerate this weekend.

2., my white trash hot tub sprung a leak a few weeks ago and replacement was FINALLY delivered yesterday.  I have missed it SOOOOOOO much.  Moving location in anticipation of the build.

3.  Went to a crochet group today to learn (reduced to 4 days a week at work).

4.  Long way to go with extension decisions but choices are being narrowed.  Progress is being made.

5.  Had an issue with my health concern yesterday. Looking forward to my “final” diagnostics next week.  They think they know what’s going on and nothing too scary and treatable.  I’m ready for confirmation and a care plan. 

6.  Yeah, I, on 6.  Son has his endoscopy and colonoscopy next Friday.  Scary stuff but hoping for conclusive answers. And hopefully for a coeliac diagnosis.

7.  YUP, SEVEN, our kittens cannot come soon enough!  One more month.  Not seven kittens.  Two.  But it’s #7 on my list of 5.  ;D

• Liked: 3595
« Reply #8279 on: October 15, 2021, 02:03:09 PM »
My Friday Five:

1. I’ve been really lazy the last few weeks - eaten a load of crap and barely done any exercise… which means I think I’ve put back on most of the weight I lost in the Falklands… but I finally got back on the exercise bike yesterday so fingers crossed I can get back into the swing of it again

2. I’m meeting up with some of my friends in London for a Xmas lunch in December… it’ll be the first time I’ve seen them in 2 years!

3. Since I’ll be in London that weekend anyway, I decided stay overnight and go to see Hamilton in the evening

4. And then the next day, I’ve booked myself a much-needed holiday, to Disneyland Paris before Christmas

5. Can’t think of a number 5!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links